By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes Shadow of the Colossus so special?

Tagged games:

How much do you like SotC?

5/5 Best game ever 20 43.48%

4/5 Top 100 games of all time 19 41.30%

3/5 Really good game 1 2.17%

2/5 Quite average 4 8.70%

1/5 A bit annoying 1 2.17%

0/5 Total failure 1 2.17%

Total:46

I think the sense of scale, you get from the collosi is unrivaled. The atmosphere is amazing and the story is low key, but lovely in its many moral grey areas.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

hunter_alien said:

One could argue that it pretty much proved that current indei interaction-laking adventure titles could thrive in the industry. Also, there are plenty of games that sold comparativly shit by todays standards and yet they had a huge influence on the industry. First release of games like Doom, Populous, Tomb Raider and even Half-Life sold as much as a mid-tire IP would today, or for most AAA games those sales would be a dissaster.

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to overblow the importance of SotC. I liked the game but IMO ICO and TLG are superios entries by a long shot. But I do consider it to be fairly influential especially that plenty of people were talking about it a decade later and this includes both fans of the games and game developers.

Your argument isn't well thought out, because you deliberately ignore the context of time to make your point.

Really? I mean before those entrie we did have games that sold tens of millions of copies, but OK, I guess. No reason to discuss this any further.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I gave the game back in it's day an 8/10 while Resident Evil IV an 9.5 and Okami 9.5.

Got a lot of hate for it but it did not amaze me that much.

The music is the best part and I scored it a 10/10 but story a 7/10 and gameplay 8/10.

It is a game I maybe spend a little more than 10 hours to complete it and going from A to B wasn't really fun for me.

The fights are amazing to experience but they were fast finished (if only the fights time are counted you probably don't much go much higher than 5 hours).

I don't think I was harsh, if their was more of a story, dungeons with common enemies, villages it easily could have been a 9-9.5/10

mZuzek said:
konnichiwa said:

I gave the game back in it's day an 8/10 while Resident Evil IV an 9.5 and Okami 9.5.

The music is the best part and I scored it a 10/10 but story a 7/10 and gameplay 8/10.

It is a game I maybe spend a little more than 10 hours to complete it and going from A to B wasn't really fun for me.

The fights are amazing to experience but they were fast finished (if only the fights time are counted you probably don't much go much higher than 5 hours).

I don't think I was harsh, if their was more of a story, dungeons with common enemies, villages it easily could have been a 9-9.5/10

If it had all that it wouldn't have been anywhere near as special. You really didn't understand what this game was about.

=p so blame gamers, not the game.

mZuzek said:
konnichiwa said:

=p so blame gamers, not the game.

I would indeed. Not featuring villages, dungeons and smaller enemies isn't a flaw of the game, you only make it out to be because you expect games to follow certain tropes. As I said in an earlier post, Shadow of the Colossus is all about not ticking the boxes we expect from games, and that's why it's so great.

If you think the game didn't have much of a story, well, that's as much proof of that as you need, because it's one of the best that's ever been made in the medium. It's a story that isn't told through exposition or lengthy dialogue, it's told mostly through gameplay (this is a game after all) and that's why it's so good. If your mindset going into Shadow of the Colossus is the "ticking boxes" mindset, you're not going to have anywhere near as great of an experience as other people would. Whereas you're going "#1... done, #2... done. Okay, 14 more to go", other people are soaking in the environment and reflecting about the meaning of their actions. This is only possible because of how the game handles its atmosphere and especially by how it doesn't throw dozens of NPCs and enemies and interactions at you. It only gives you a desolate world and exploring it is supposed to make you feel alone and powerless. That's what it is about.

If you want an open world game with NPCs, quests, villages, dungeons, smaller enemies in addition to bosses, and stories filled with lengthy cutscenes and character interactions, well, I think you can find another dozen or two great games like that. But even today, you still can't find a game like Shadow of the Colossus.

I didn't at all and I think many others aswell.  You could say that a game like dark souls is going from point A to B and kill sometimes an insane boss but people don't because going from point A to point B is an adventure aswell, the game is not full with NPC's but it has some and they make the game better, in SOTC going from A to point B was more annoying than fun

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Megaoverlord12 said:
I played the PS3 version, and while I can see the praise it got from everyone, I couldn't bring myself to get past the 3rd or 4th Colossus because I. just. DESPISE. the controls. It's been a while since I tried it, but the controls and camera were among the worst I've ever had. I wanted to like the game, I really did, but I just couldn't.

The PS3 version has worse controls actually. It was made off of the original European PS2 version, which came out after the Japan/NA releases and had a bit of "extra polish", which somehow made the game worse to play. I know most people don't even notice this, but it is true, the first time I tried the PS3 version I could instantly tell there was something off and after looking up online I confirmed it. Specifically the one thing that was changed was Wander's ability to hang on, which was made worse (I assume to make the game more realistic), so very often whenever you're trying to stab a colossus or just stand in a safe place, you won't be able to do anything or just clumsily fly away because even the slightest movement from the colossus completely screws up your balance.

That said, the controls complaint usually goes further than that, and then it's a problem with every version. I have to say, I never once thought the controls were bad or clunky and still don't really understand what everyone goes on about. The camera is a bit tough, sure, but even that I didn't realize before I saw a lot of people complaining about.

I also don't know how the PS4 version is supposed to feel, so I'm hoping it's closer to the original release on PS2.

I do specifically remember climbing and hanging on to stuff in that game being a particular nuisance now that you mention it. Ah well. Whenever I get a PS4 however many years from now, maybe I'll give it a shot, but it absolutely won't be my first. Or second. Or third for that matter. (Ratchet & Clank, Nier: Automata, and Horizon headline that list.)

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

So... i'm not gonna tell you it's the best game ever because it isn't.

It's just a singular experience. Everything is a mistery. What is this world? What are these giants? How are they connect to the main character.

Theres obviously great atmosphere and architectural design that makes you want to see what is hidden in the world.

When they describe the game as Art, they are correct. The game feels like a painting. You gaze at it's uniqueness and beauty and at the end you feel like you experienced something unique.
I never felt the need to replay it ever again.

I might get the PS4 version if they add DLC collosi. The cut collosi looked really cool.

I'll have to give it another shot on PS4. I never could get into it in the past , even though i love ICO and The Last Guardian.

RolStoppable said:
hunter_alien said:

So, considering that the peer pressure existed several years later, hence millions liked it, it was one of the most important releases of the decade? I mean you are kind-off saying it was one of the most important games of the decade yet you try to make it sound overrated in pretty much every discussion that this game appears in.

The game didn't sell millions. The peer pressure was coming from other gaming journalists, so sales of the game were pretty much irrelevant to their decision.

Shadow of the Colossus had neither the sales nor the influence on other games to label it as one of the most important games of the decade, that's why its standing in the gaming community (including gaming journalists) is greatly overrated.

It sold well enough, people still talk about the game very favorably and it's getting a remaster. It's safe to say there's at least something to substantiate that it was one of most influential games of that decade while your opinion about it being overrated is based on your opinion of the game itself and gaming journalists. I don't like gaming journalism much but them talking favorably about a game doesn't mean that their claims about the game are incorrect or that game is bad by default.

konnichiwa said:

So  you  docked points from the game because it didn't have things that you feel games like it should have?

If it had those things, then it wouldn't be the game it set out to be. And more of a story? I'm literally speechless........

Guy goes to an abandoned mystical land to kill 6 giant beasts o bring the woman he loves back to life. Can't say more cause spoilers. 

Mow while playing you should be asking yourself why is this place empty? Why isn't there a single other person anywhere? If you finish the game, all that will make sense to you.