By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes Shadow of the Colossus so special?

Tagged games:

How much do you like SotC?

5/5 Best game ever 20 43.48%

4/5 Top 100 games of all time 19 41.30%

3/5 Really good game 1 2.17%

2/5 Quite average 4 8.70%

1/5 A bit annoying 1 2.17%

0/5 Total failure 1 2.17%

Total:46

Those poor beautiful giants.

Around the Network

I don’t know, personally. I’ve actually owned it on PS2 and 3 but never got around to playing it. I doubt I’m buying it a third time, would be great if it were BC somehow. I’ll wait for it to hit PS+ and see what the fuss is about.

Can't speak for other But I love exploring, I love the boss battles, I loved that it just put me in the game with minimal yapping and just let me explore and kill bosses.

This game is a very mixed bag. I think it should not have been released on PS2 with its tiny resolution.

It was one of my first console games and I absolutely could not stand the controls and camera - I was fighting the camera more than the colossi until decided to just watch a Let's Play. After that I felt like playing it myself on PS3 and of course it was a breeze knowing exactly how to kill each colossi.

It is not in my top 100 but I think it belongs in top 100.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Very artistic and beating up giant enemies is fun. I don't consider it a huge masterpiece like a lot of people. But its a game that should be experienced by people at least once imo

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

I would said on first place atmosphere, lonely wandering around in deserted but beautiful landscape, in order to find giants and than find way how do defeat them. There is no really other game that could be compared with.

It's pretty unique in its atmosphere and game design. There's only a limited quantity of bosses in the whole game, the rest of it consists in tracking them and wandering alone in a pretty lonely world. I mean, there aren't a lot of games which give you that kind of experience because it's actually pretty risky. I love wandering alone in that huge devastated world and taking down the bosses, which feel like a huge platforming puzzle. Also, the narrative is top-notch. It blends pretty well with the gameplay, and it doesn't need a huge quantity of cinematics to explain you a simple but rather effective and emotional story. It's imho one of the best games ever made and worth of anybody's time. But, be warned about this, the game is purposefully clumsy in its controls. That's like a team ICO trademark. And that's the main criticism of this particular game. I feel that this is made on purpose to make you feel weak and powerless, but I'd say it's not for everyone. I'll buy the game day one, that's for sure. Can't wait to play it!

I make myself the same question about many games, SotC included. Journey, The Last Story, The Last of Us... I fail to see any "greatness" or the so called "art" in them.

It had the same wonder that breath of the wild, streamlined to only bosses. And we had that in 2005.

What makes it so special is how it makes me feel. The landscape feels realistic, vast, serene, empty, wide open, a place to explore, not to check off to do list items. No quest marker or way point compass, simply hold your sword up and a beam of light will vaguely point in the right direction. The few things you do find on the way become special.

The isolation and sense of scale really comes into perspective when you happen onto one of the Colossi. Each one fits perfectly in its part of the landscape and is its own puzzle to figure out. The landscape and the Colossus are part of each other and soon you start feeling a sense of guilt for disturbing the peace for your own selfish gain.

Yet on to the next and so forth, until you wonder at the end if the end justified the means or if you've actually turned into the bad guy. Yet the rush of meeting each new Colossus is unlike any other boss encounter. The first time getting picked up high in the air, or under water, or found out in your little hiding spot underground, it's all unique and memorable.

SotC is a wonderful deviation from the usual, find something every 10 steps and have a dozen objectives going at once. It's not a min max game, it's not about loot or upgrades, it's just you wondering what you are doing literally and figuratively. No other open world game has this feeling. One quest, no distractions, no repeat boss fights. You actually can upgrade your most important ability, grip duration and also your health (less important). It's all you need, minimalistic game design for maximum effect.