By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MHW sells 1.35 million copies at launch in Japan, > 2 million with Digital; PS4 140k

Kerotan said:
GOWTLOZ said:

MHW had a 95% sell through rate in Japan so it was stock issue that made people go digital for this one.

If it wasnt supply constrained and they sold say 1.5m retail I'd have guessed a natural 20% digital attach ratio for this. That is 300k digital. So i guess all things considered ~2m isn't beyond the realm of possibility it's just mind blowing and hard for me to accept..

I think a big issue is that most people use MC physical with Famitsu digital numbers. so 1.25m physical (2 days tracked) and 750k digital is 38%, which is higher than the global average by a lot at 30%.

But recent posts say that it is shipped (transit) plus digital which I can believe more. And the report in the op is 3 days tracked vs the 2 days in MC, unless I'm mistaken.

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
Kerotan said:

If it wasnt supply constrained and they sold say 1.5m retail I'd have guessed a natural 20% digital attach ratio for this. That is 300k digital. So i guess all things considered ~2m isn't beyond the realm of possibility it's just mind blowing and hard for me to accept..

From what I've heard the game has small download size so that should help. That's the biggest detriment to digital games, the file sizes. Anyway 33% digital isn't too high with games like Destiny 2 having 50% sales digital on consoles and this an online focused game.

Yeah that small download size definitely helps  

Hiku said:
Farsala said:

I think a big issue is that most people use MC physical with Famitsu digital numbers. so 1.25m physical (2 days tracked) and 750k digital is 38%, which is higher than the global average by a lot at 30%.

But recent posts say that it is shipped (transit) plus digital which I can believe more. And the report in the op is 3 days tracked vs the 2 days in MC, unless I'm mistaken.

What recent posts? You mean in reference to that Tweet from Takashi Mochizuki?

Takashi seems to be refering to Capcom's "5 million shipped + digital" statement.
Famitsu are definitely not.

I've already explained this in my previous post:

「モンスターハンター:ワールド」は発売3日間(初週)で135.0万本を売り上げ、プレイステーション4向けソフトの中で過去最高の初週販売本数を記録。累計販売本数も歴代1位となりました。さらに、ダウンロード版を含めると200万本を超える勢いと推測されます。

That first figure (135.0万) is referring to 1,35m copies sold in Japan in 3 days. After that it mentions that "including the downloaded version, it is estimated to exceed 2 million."

So the second figure is in reference to the first one.
And there is no mention of Capcoms 5 million worldwide shipped figure present anywhere in the sentence, or the entire article.
They made an entirely separate article for the 5 million shipped figure here: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201801/29150703.html

I had a friend fluent in Japanese double check this for me, and he concurred.
They're talking about sales figures already made in Japan over 3 days (1,35m), and that if you include the downloaded version, the number of sales are estimated to have surpassed 2m.

Either way it is just an early estimate, which is why they don't release the estimates until like a month later.

The famitsu report might have misconstrued a capcom report about Asia sales vs JP sales.

I am just looking for possibilities because a 38% ratio doesn't make sense yet.

Hiku said:
Farsala said:

Either way it is just an early estimate, which is why they don't release the estimates until like a month later.

The famitsu report might have misconstrued a capcom report about Asia sales vs JP sales.

I am just looking for possibilities because a 38% ratio doesn't make sense yet.

I edited this into my post before you replied, but I'll repeat it here:

But you're saying that the 3 day (1,35m) figure is shipped units? Well they used the term sold (売), and I don't know how they usually refer to shipped units, but whether the 1,35m figure is shipped or sold, the digital ratio using Famitsu's physical (1,35m) numbers is 32,5%.

I was hesitant to use Famitsu's 1,35m figure at first because I wasn't sure why it differed so much from MC numbers, but it appears MC's numbers are based on 2 days of tracking, and Famitsu's are based on 3 days?

Those are sold. 1.25m MC is sold and 1.35m Famitsu is sold.

2m is 1.35m sold+ #digital sold + #shipped.

Hiku said:
Farsala said:

Yes, but I'm wondering why MC and Famitsu physical sold units differ so much? 1.24m vs 1.35m
I can tell you for sure that Famitsu's numbers are based on 3 days. (発売3日間)
Are Media Create's numbers definitely based on 2? If so, that explains the disparity.

And in that case, if we use Famitsu's numbers for physical, the digital ratio comes down to 32,5%.
650 000 / 2 000 000 = 0,325

Is that still hard to believe?

If it's any use dengden estimate 1.33m sold 

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Kerotan said:

If it's any use dengden estimate 1.33m sold 

Is that based on 3 days? Sounds very close to Famitsu's number.

Yes exact same days 

Hiku said:
Farsala said:

Yes, but I'm wondering why MC and Famitsu physical sold units differ so much? 1.24m vs 1.35m
Are Media Create's numbers definitely based on 2? If so, that explains the disparity.

And in that case, if we use Famitsu's numbers for physical, the digital ratio comes down to 32,5%.

I don't know for sure.

Even at 32.5% it is difficult, because another big game like DQXI PS4 only got 11%. I can believe 20-25% in JP due to shortages, but we shall see in about a month or less.

If it truly did 2m then I am definitely glad, been playing it with my friend from Japan and we have been having a blast. Well deserved of high sales.

Hiku said:
Farsala said:

That's less than a 10% difference. That sort of thing happens every single week.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Hiku said:
Farsala said:

I don't know for sure.

Even at 32.5% it is difficult, because another big game like DQXI PS4 only got 11%. I can believe 20-25% in JP due to shortages, but we shall see in about a month or less.

If it truly did 2m then I am definitely glad, been playing it with my friend from Japan and we have been having a blast. Well deserved of high sales.

Even without shortages, Tekken 7 had 21,5% digital sales during it's opening month.
[PS4] Tekken 7 – 100,010 (78,484 physical, 21,526 digital) 21,5% digital

I can't speak for everyone's mindset, but when it comes to me I'm more likely to go for digital if it's a game I plan to play over a long period of time. (As having it accessible at all times is more convenient than swapping discs often.) That's usually not the case for Jrpgs. I play through them once and then I'm done. But a game like Street Fighter 4 I played actively for 6 years. And Monster Hunter is the type of game to get regular free updates, weekly challenge quests, etc, and it just generally motivates progression long after you 'finish' the game.

So I can see why games like Tekken and MH can be more attractive as digital options for that reason.
I'm not sure how the popularity between MHW and DQXI differs overall (PS4 + 3DS + Switch), but on PS4 alone there's no doubt that MHW was much more popular first week.
And from what I can tell, DQXI only sold through 76% of it's initial shipment: http://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-xi-sold-through-76-of-its-initial-shipment-in-japan-gave-3ds-a-huge-boost/
Although that seems to count both 3DS and PS4.
But MHW reportedly did 95%. So everything seems to be in favor of more digital for MHW.

If Tekken 7 could do 21,5% then I think a sold out MHW could probably do 32,5%.

You see I only chose DQXI PS4 because it sold over 1m. It is quite easy for low selling games to have a high digital ratio. But even low selling games don't get that high of a ratio often, despite how easy it is. For big games of course it would be unprecedented.

CoD WWII had a 19% digital ratio, and its one of the biggest games for PS4 in japan, but it still didn't sell enough. MGSV PP 14%.

Jumping to a million seller again FFXV had ~10% similar to DQXI.

MH4 3DS had 10% and MH4U 3DS had 7.5% so I definitely think 20% is more realistic for MHW since its a PS4 game with shortages.

Hiku said:
Farsala said:

You see I only chose DQXI PS4 because it sold over 1m. It is quite easy for low selling games to have a high digital ratio. But even low selling games don't get that high of a ratio often, despite how easy it is. For big games of course it would be unprecedented.

CoD WWII had a 19% digital ratio, and its one of the biggest games for PS4 in japan, but it still didn't sell enough. MGSV PP 14%.

Jumping to a million seller again FFXV had ~10% similar to DQXI.

MH4 3DS had 10% and MH4U 3DS had 7.5% so I definitely think 20% is more realistic for MHW since its a PS4 game with shortages.

How is it "quite easy" for a game that sold 100k to have a high digital ratio?
I don't see the correlation between lower sales and high digital ratio, unless we're talking about figures like '2 units sold', where you can't get a proper estimate of people's tendencies. But 100 000? That's quite a large number of people. Explain how that number is more likely to 'quite easily' prompt a higher digital ratio? Their tendencies are going to remain the same. You don't base your decision making on whether you should go with physical or digital on "I wonder how many other people bought this game? If it's 1m+ I'll buy physical. But if it's 100k, I'll buy digital."
That's definitely not how it works. People's decisions are based on other factors.

CoD is a type of game that's designed to be played competitively over a longer period. FFXV and MGSV are (generally) not.
Systems like 3DS that come with limited storage space have a lower incentive for digital downloads than consoles that are designed to accommodate digital downloads more properly.
The data I pulled up in regards to Tekken 7 was actually from a comparison between consoles and handhelds when it came to digital ratio. And the overal digital download ratio for PS4 games appear noticeably higher than for 3DS, and probably for the obvious reasons.

@bold that much was already clear, as I already said I expect MHW to have better digital ratios than the 3DS entries or pretty much any 3DS game at 20%.

@ the rest: The reason is because I have never seen a big game have a high digital ratio, but MHW might break the trend at 20%.

I have seen many lower selling games have better digital ratios than bigger games.

An explanation could be that they ended shipments quickly as the games aren't selling that much anymore, so instead of ordering through the store they just decide to buy it digitally. Lower selling games also have smaller file sizes in general so they are easier to download.