By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MHW sells 1.35 million copies at launch in Japan, > 2 million with Digital; PS4 140k

Kerotan said:
Hiku said:

Going by Mediacreate's 1,245,169 physical copies sold, and Famitsu's 2 million including digital, that means around ~38% of copies sold were digital. That's an unusually high digital ratio.
There must have been a big shortage of physical copies in Japan.

I think famitsu were jusr estimating it can sell 2m in future 

Check out my post above in regards to the paragraph where Famitsu mentioned 2M including downloads. I can't see any future tense in that sentence, but I'll ask a friend who's Japanese is better than mine to double check.
But I think them speculating about it possibly reaching 2m in the future in the same paragraph (especially when other MH games have gone on to sell nearly 5m units in Japan) where they're talking about numbers it has already reached, would seem out of place.

Last edited by Hiku - on 31 January 2018

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Kerotan said:

Check out my post above in regards to the paragraph where Famitsu mentioned 2M including downloads. I can't see any future tense in that sentence, but I'll ask a friend who's Japanese is better than mine to double check.
But I think them speculating about it possibly reaching 2m in the future in the same paragraph (especially when other MH games have gone on to sell nearly 5m units in Japan) where they're talking about numbers it has already reached, would seem out of place.

They're giving out an early estimation. All of the data isn't in so it's not official. It's like the old reported first day sales or first day sellthrough. They were estimates based on early information. If I'm wrong and Famitsu puts out ~650k digital sales for January, I'll be pumped. That'd be an amazing result, but I don't think that's the case. Especially because we already know that FW sales were 2m shipped + digital in Japan.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Hiku said:

They're giving out an early estimation. All of the data isn't in so it's not official. It's like the old reported first day sales or first day sellthrough. They were estimates based on early information. If I'm wrong and Famitsu puts out ~650k digital sales for January, I'll be pumped. That'd be an amazing result, but I don't think that's the case. Especially because we already know that FW sales were 2m shipped + digital in Japan.

Yeah, it appears to say it's an estimate. I wasn't contesting that. I just meant that I don't think it's an estimate of future sales, but an estimate of what it already did in 3 days.

So it looks like it is the top selling FW MH in Japan. Just beating MHF3 on PSP. Of course while thats impressive, the overall world wide FW blows this out of the water. Something close to 5 million is truly impressive.

Heavenly_King said:
this game will sell a lot more that if it was for the 3DS

This game wouldn't even be possible on 3ds.

Around the Network
HandofPrometheus said:
Heavenly_King said:
this game will sell a lot more that if it was for the 3DS

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm. ;)
Because when you look at FW sales for the 3DS games, this one seems to have surpassed them all in Japan, if Famitsu's estimate including digital is correct. And Worldwide it definitely did. It probably won't be the best selling MH game in Japan LTD, but overall Worldwide that looks pretty likely now.

After they announced the insane 5 million shipped+digital worldwide, I sorta expected it, but it's still crazy.

Kerotan said:
Hiku said:

Going by Mediacreate's 1,245,169 physical copies sold, and Famitsu's 2 million including digital, that means around ~38% of copies sold were digital. That's an unusually high digital ratio.
There must have been a big shortage of physical copies in Japan.

Update on this.
My friend says it's talking about sales done in 3 days. They use the term "including"「含める」, referencing the 3 day sales that they just mentioned. (I also took note of this and highlighted it in my previous post.)
The only part I was a bit unsure of was if it was an estimate, because I'm not super confident about the uses of the term「推測」. But my friend confirmed that it is an estimate.
And this estimate is indeed in regards to the first three days.

Hiku said:
HandofPrometheus said:

Because when you look at FW sales for the 3DS games, this one seems to have surpassed them all in Japan, if Famitsu's estimate including digital is correct. And Worldwide it definitely did. It probably won't be the best selling MH game in Japan LTD, but overall Worldwide that looks pretty likely now.

If it was I take back my remark.

HandofPrometheus said:
Hiku said:

If it was I take back my remark.

Lol.  What I meant, (But I did not proof read it) is that this game will sell more THAN the other alternative... a MHW for 3DS.