By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MHW sells 1.35 million copies at launch in Japan, > 2 million with Digital; PS4 140k

DonFerrari said:
vivster said:

That and the almost 100k X1s!

X1 is a sad situation, even though it have over 100k X1 sold in Japan it couldn't sell a single copy of MHW.

You do know that Capcom decided not to release Monster Hunter World for xbox one over there right ? 

EDIT:

I can't tell on internet sarcasm...

Also:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180129.html

Around the Network

95% sell through is great.

Excellent, GOY contender.

Great to see a home console title selling so well and moving systems in Japan. The game looks great so I may jump on here to check out Monster Hunter.

So a lot of people on resetera are accepting the game did 2m in Japan now. I still find it hard to accept. I'd gladly be wrong though. 600k digital just seems way to high. If they said 300k digital I'd have an easier time believing. Did people from other regions set up Japanese accounts to buy the game? A bit like how people set up American accounts and buy digital from there?

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
So a lot of people on resetera are accepting the game did 2m in Japan now. I still find it hard to accept. I'd gladly be wrong though. 600k digital just seems way to high. If they said 300k digital I'd have an easier time believing. Did people from other regions set up Japanese accounts to buy the game? A bit like how people set up American accounts and buy digital from there?

MHW had a 95% sell through rate in Japan so it was stock issue that made people go digital for this one.

Kyuu said:

Holy cow.. that's a bigger debut than Portable 3rd and MH4, isn't it?

Edit: 140k hardware is great also. That's 170k when combined with the 30k sales of pro bundle from December.

Xen said:
PS4 still has it... kinda. Let's hope the boost lasts a few weeks.

Yeah think there will be a few more weeks of hardware boosted sales.
I want the ps4 to do well in japan.

GOWTLOZ said:
Kerotan said:

MHW had a 95% sell through rate in Japan so it was stock issue that made people go digital for this one.

If it wasnt supply constrained and they sold say 1.5m retail I'd have guessed a natural 20% digital attach ratio for this. That is 300k digital. So i guess all things considered ~2m isn't beyond the realm of possibility it's just mind blowing and hard for me to accept..

Kerotan said:
GOWTLOZ said:

If it wasnt supply constrained and they sold say 1.5m retail I'd have guessed a natural 20% digital attach ratio for this. That is 300k digital. So i guess all things considered ~2m isn't beyond the realm of possibility it's just mind blowing and hard for me to accept..

From what I've heard the game has small download size so that should help. That's the biggest detriment to digital games, the file sizes. Anyway 33% digital isn't too high with games like Destiny 2 having 50% sales digital on consoles and this an online focused game.

piggychan said:
DonFerrari said:

X1 is a sad situation, even though it have over 100k X1 sold in Japan it couldn't sell a single copy of MHW.

You do know that Capcom decided not to release Monster Hunter World for xbox one over there right ? 

EDIT:

I can't tell on internet sarcasm...

Also:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180129.html

Yep I was making fun of the userbase as a measure of the success of a SW.... so the small userbase of 3DS (20M) had it obviously selling less than the massive PS4 (6M), while X1 phenomenal 100k userbase didn't manage to sell even a copy (because it didn't had a version =] )

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."