By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MHW sells 1.35 million copies at launch in Japan, > 2 million with Digital; PS4 140k

With capcom saying they have 30% digital sales worldwide and 40% of the shipped and digital sales are from Japan, I think it's fair to believe the total sales in Japan are quite a bit above 1.35 million. Whether it crossed 2 million yet or not is not that important especially considering how low the people expectations were from this title in Japan. And with sell -through around 95% digital can be high 

According to Dengeki, MH:W sold 1,333,602 copies @ about 95% sell-through. PS4 sold 149,095 units.
Last edited by Noobie - on 01 February 2018

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Farsala said:

@bold that much was already clear, as I already said I expect MHW to have better digital ratios than the 3DS entries or pretty much any 3DS game at 20%.

@ the rest: The reason is because I have never seen a big game have a high digital ratio, but MHW might break the trend at 20%.

I have seen many lower selling games have better digital ratios than bigger games.

Well, what one person has seen can differ from what someone else has seen. Unless one has seen and noted all relevant data, and formed a study on the subject, etc.

But you have to be able to apply logic to your reasoning. And what logical reasoning could there be for a higher digital ratio for games that "only" sell 100k in its first month?

An explanation could be that they ended shipments quickly as the games aren't selling that much anymore, so instead of ordering through the store they just decide to buy it digitally. Lower selling games also have smaller file sizes in general so they are easier to download.

Over a longer period of time, games being out of stock could definitely affect it. Same thing for greatly discounted PS+ deals. File size could also be a factor.
But we're specifically focusing on early shorter periods like opening week, or opening month. Tekken 7 did not suffer from supply shortages during it's first month. And yet out of 100k people, 21,5% chose to buy it digital. There were no digital sales at that early stage, or shortages. And Tekken 7's file size is actually a whooping 45GB for PS4: https://www.psu.com/news/tekken-7-ps4-file-size-is-a-shocker/

I mean their aren't many PS4 games that have sold over 500k, checking all of them is a cinch. Minecraft is probably 1 that has a high ratio, but Minecraft is the exception. I admit that smaller games have high variance in digital ratios, but I still think bigger games don't have good digital ratios.

Even for smaller games we haven't seen many 30% digital ratios, if I could get a few examples of that I would be more liable to be convinced.

Hiku said:
Farsala said:

I mean their aren't many PS4 games that have sold over 500k, checking all of them is a cinch. Minecraft is probably 1 that has a high ratio, but Minecraft is the exception. I admit that smaller games have high variance in digital ratios, but I still think bigger games don't have good digital ratios.

Even for smaller games we haven't seen many 30% digital ratios, if I could get a few examples of that I would be more liable to be convinced.

Well there's really no conceivable correlation between high or low FW/FM sales and digital ratio. If a game has a high digital ratio, it's because of the factors we mentioned, like availability, or convenience, etc.

Here's an anecdotal story though. Even though I decided to get a physical copy of MHW, because some of my friends already got it and started playing, I had second thoughts about it to the point where I delayed my order for a couple of days because I didn't know if I wanted to wait 5+ days for Amazon to ship it to me, when I could download it and start playing with my friends right away. Why the rush? Well, unlike something like a fighting game, in Monster Hunter you progress with things like levels and craftable and upgradable equipment. I don't think it's going to be particularly fun going on hunts with my friends if they're significantly more powerful than the boss I'm currently facing, and already have the best gear. That's what I was considering at least.

But something Noobie mentioned above:
"With capcom saying they have 30% digital sales worldwide and 40% of the shipped and digital sales are from Japan"

If this is accurate, just about every third person who bought the game, bought it digitally.
This means that in some areas, the ratio was below 30%. And in some areas it must have been higher than 30%.

Areas where the game was in short supply would be more likely to be on that higher end of the spectrum.
I don't know if 32,5% is unprecedented for an opening week, but I think if Tekken did what it did without shortages, I wouldn't be shocked if MHW did more with a 95% sell through rate.
However, I don't know how off Famitsu tend to be with their estimates. But this seems to fall in line with Capcom's statement.

I still find it hard to believe but in your defense EDF also had a very high digital ratio .

How do I claim the 5 million shipped reward? When I log in it says there’s a gift thing from capcom for the high sales and you can only claim it once. How do you claim it??

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

StokedUp said:
How do I claim the 5 million shipped reward? When I log in it says there’s a gift thing from capcom for the high sales and you can only claim it once. How do you claim it??

go to your room and talk to the housekeeper and pick the "claim ..." menu point (should be last option)

Around the Network

I think MHW did closer  or even  2 Million including digital sales 1st week.

Some facts -
5 Million shipped for 3 days.
40% in Japan including digital sales. About 2 million.
Sales in Japan according to Famitsu -1,350,412

So if my Math is correct = about 1,422,000 shipped
Sold out in Majority of the stores with some stores having stock in Feb. 3 today in Japan.

Food for thought. Famitsu counted 3 days of sale.
January 22, 2018 - January 28, 2018
https://www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking/

Last edited by NoCtiS_NoX - on 03 February 2018

Argh!!! Tryna farm materials from the anjaneth but the players that respond to my SOS flare keep disbanding before we’ve beaten it.
Also how do you capture monsters man!!

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

StokedUp said:
Argh!!! Tryna farm materials from the anjaneth but the players that respond to my SOS flare keep disbanding before we’ve beaten it.
Also how do you capture monsters man!!

Weaken the monster first when you see it limping. Try to use a trap.Shock trap or pitfall ( I think haven't tried it yet). 
Use the tranquilizer bomb. If didn't captured yet. Damage it a little then try the steps above again. just be careful to not damage it much.
They are giving free shock traps in the supply box. I am not really sure if it varies on high rank quest.

Just gonna drop this thread in here for fun. Be interesting to see how it plays out. OP looks like a jeeneeus now. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=231864&page=1# Oh the mocking! :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Hiku said:
Kerotan said:

I still find it hard to believe but in your defense EDF also had a very high digital ratio .

What's EDF?

I'm not certain by any means that a 32% digital ratio is likely for MHW. But what I am saying is that no one should think that FW/FM sales have any sort of impact on the digital ratio. People's tendencies do not change if FW/FM sales change. What can affect it is what type of game it is, availability, price, etc.

But yeah, it seems to fall in line with Capcom's "30% digital ratio" comment. I hope we get definitive confirmation soon.

Earth Defense Force.

It released in December. Sold very well with no stock issues but had an impressive digital ratio..