By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gameware Stops Selling Xbox Systems in Reaction to Recent Game Pass Announcement

The_Liquid_Laser said:
I think Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot with this Game Pass stuff. These retailers are their business partners. It is stupid to do things that harm your business partners.

Are you suggesting its time to stop offering content digitally?

Because every time I see great digital deals, my first concern is, "I hope they aren't upsetting retailers."

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
VideoGameAccountant said:
Gamestop's reaction is unsurprising, of course, I also don't expect this program Microsoft is doing to really go anywhere as the value of Microsoft's games has fallen off a cliff (otherwise, XBox One would be doing better).

Wii U great exclusives, frankly some of the same notable stuff on Switch. How'd that do?

Also, how well could X1 be doing with a few more notable games? Like how much better would it do?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

KiigelHeart said:
makaveli1818 said:

xbox < ps4 anyway

Xbox > PS4 though

Certainly verified by the number of exclusives and the sales of the console.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Well unless I missed it, only one person in the thread has said all brick and mortar game stores will go the way of Blockbuster, unless of course they adapt. I think eventually they’ll become such a niche compared to digital, that these gaming centric stores will shut down. Blockbusters problem wasn’t just digital, because digital DVDs and Blu-rays still exist. Blockbusters problem was they had shitty prices and didn’t do enough to diversify what they offered. So once competition like Netflix and Redbox blew up, there was nowhere else to turn. That’s why GameStop has expanded greatly in other areas like phones, tablets, clothing, and collectibles. Eventually you’ll only to be able to buy them online or in big retailers who don’t focus solely on games, like Walmart or Best Buy. And even there, gaming sections are shrinking.

I think once prices are more reasonable and Internet speeds are more consistent, people will go digital purely for convenience reasons.

In Brazil Blockbuster was bought and survived a little longer as blockbuster trying some diversification, but later they all became the same store of the one who bought.

Azzanation said:

You do know that not every human is perfect and everything physical has a wear and tear timer right? Every time you put a game in your system you are wearing out the game out and the system. It might take years however eventually it will stop working due to it. That is not a human error. That's where Digital is superior, it never wears, its always there, and don't tell me that if the Servers shut down you will lose your games. If Steam folded, I can safely bet that another company will take the Steam Service and continue with it.

What kind of poor examples are the ones you mentioned above? Really you are going to use Kodak and Gameloft as examples? I don't think we need to go into why they no longer exist or are supported and its also funny because with one of them it was due to the up rising of Digital Media.

You also know that if Steam, Live, PSN and Eshop closed there doors, you wont be able to play any of your physical games anyway so the point of physical is nothing more than something for collectors. Don't panic I am also a game collector however I know where the future is heading and have accepted it the moment I signed up on Steam 12 years ago..

Come back and tell me when something replaces Digital Media, ill be waiting here for your return.

Yes I do know... and sure normal wear and tear exist, still the BD should survive like 100 years... all mine have no scratch, and even the one I bought used and had a lot of scretchs (seemed like someone really tried to damage it) worked fine.

Any company that exist can close, it is as simple as that, just because you can't image it happening it doesn't mean it won't. Most companies on the toop ranking didn't even exist some years ago and a lot of century old companies died... So not sure you are so sure it couldn't ever happen.

Not sure how could my physical games not work on my physical HW just because these stores closed doors... it won't get new patches, but it will still be able to boot and run.

I don't need anything to replace digital media, I like my physical media and will use as long as it exist.

How will you be able to download the day one Patches expected with almost every game? Unless you have every game installed and updated with the launch patch (Which not everyone will have the space to do) Plus some times your own hardware can scratch and damage your own games. There are plenty of issues that you no longer have to worry about when going digital.

Companies do closed down, however a company closing down doesn't mean everything dies. Your Digital games will still exist in the Digital world it just means that company running the app will no longer be running the app. Also there are human rights. If a company decides to remove a game you paid for from your account there can be law suits. If you don't trust them than screen save your Digital Recepts.

One of my personal prime examples is my Super Mario Kart game's internal Battery no longer works, I can no longer save the game anymore. If Super Mario Kart was released Digital we wont ever have that problem. Half my NES games no longer work without me opening up the cartridges and attempting to fix them. 

DonFerrari said:
KiigelHeart said:

Xbox > PS4 though

So you are saying a Volkswagen Beetle is better than a Porsche 911 Carrera because it sold more? (Interms of better car no it isn't)

Quantity and Popularity never determines what is better.

We can argue that Xbox has better FPS and Racing games? We can Argue PS has better Action and Adventure games? All comes down to opinion. 

I personally think the Samsung Galaxy S8 is a much better Phone than the latest Apple Phones, yet Apple will always destroy the Samsung Galaxies when it comes to sales. Apple can basically make a bad product and it will still sell wonders. Hence why Sales never leads to better.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 27 January 2018

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

In Brazil Blockbuster was bought and survived a little longer as blockbuster trying some diversification, but later they all became the same store of the one who bought.

Yes I do know... and sure normal wear and tear exist, still the BD should survive like 100 years... all mine have no scratch, and even the one I bought used and had a lot of scretchs (seemed like someone really tried to damage it) worked fine.

Any company that exist can close, it is as simple as that, just because you can't image it happening it doesn't mean it won't. Most companies on the toop ranking didn't even exist some years ago and a lot of century old companies died... So not sure you are so sure it couldn't ever happen.

Not sure how could my physical games not work on my physical HW just because these stores closed doors... it won't get new patches, but it will still be able to boot and run.

I don't need anything to replace digital media, I like my physical media and will use as long as it exist.

How will you be able to download the day one Patches expected with almost every game? Unless you have every game installed and updated with the launch patch (Which not everyone will have the space to do) Plus some times your own hardware can scratch and damage your own games. There are plenty of issues that you no longer have to worry about when going digital.

Companies do closed down, however a company closing down doesn't mean everything dies. Your Digital games will still exist in the Digital world it just means that company running the app will no longer be running the app. Also there are human rights. If a company decides to remove a game you paid for from your account there can be law suits. If you don't trust them than screen save your Digital Recepts.

One of my personal prime examples is my Super Mario Kart game's internal Battery no longer works, I can no longer save the game anymore. If Super Mario Kart was released Digital we wont ever have that problem. Half my NES games no longer work without me opening up the cartridges and attempting to fix them. 

Unless I'm a bit crazy none of my gen3 to 6 games need any patching and also my 7 and 8th gen games can work without patches, they are all playable straight from the disc without patching... I can't say the same about several of the launch window Xbox games because you had to patch it to remove the always online.

Man are you serious? So Human Rights now takes care of your digital game ownership rights?

You not being able to save doesn't make the game unplayable, also you can fix the issue.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

So you are saying a Volkswagen Beetle is better than a Porsche 911 Carrera because it sold more? (Interms of better car no it isn't)

Quantity and Popularity never determines what is better.

We can argue that Xbox has better FPS and Racing games? We can Argue PS has better Action and Adventure games? All comes down to opinion. 

I personally think the Samsung Galaxy S8 is a much better Phone than the latest Apple Phones, yet Apple will always destroy the Samsung Galaxies when it comes to sales. Apple can basically make a bad product and it will still sell wonders. Hence why Sales never leads to better.

Nope. I'm saying the market certainly don't think Xbox is better. Also you gone a bit reaching on your fallacy, because you gone from comparing two direct competitors that sell at the same price against a Beetle vs 911... try opening a dealer and offering both at the same price and see if the Beetle would sell more then the 911 (also depending of the usage the Beetle would be better as well).

You can argue whatever you want, we know you would chose MS offerings against Sony.

But I'll wait for you to point to any objective evidence that shows Xbox is much better.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

AlfredoTurkey said:
Megaoverlord12 said:
Well, then they'll just buy Xboxes from Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Toys R Us, or Amazon. I get what they're trying to do, but I think it'll be a while before this specifically takes out a large chunk of Xbox software sales.

If Game Pass takes off and Sony/Nintendo follow suit, all of those you mentioned will likely do the same. There's simply no point in stocking hardware when no one is going to buy games for it in your store. The game industry has always made its money off software.

Nah, most general retailers sell tons of things purely for customer retention. We do so at work, nothing game related (including software) makes us money in any meaningful quantity, but we still sell it, because we want to retain those customers so that they come asking us when they want to buy something that DOES make us money.

Puppyroach said:

I would guess that digital will be the norm within ten years, if not sooner. 

A lot of gamers will become "retro gamers" then.

Everybody has its own moment when he/she quits. I ate paid online, DLC, and other stuff. This is a way 2much for me. King is signing off.

Last edited by KingofTrolls - on 27 January 2018

LivingMetal said:
Puppyroach said:

I don´t really understand the argument here. A retailer seizes sales of Xbox Ones because MS has made digital more attractive. In what way would it be less interesting to buy an Xbox One because they are giving away more games digitally? You really think their argument is valid? 

Yep.  I was right. 

The top selling consoles are the Switch and PS4.  So in theory (and generally proven in reality), retailers will profit more by allocating more "shelf space" to those consoles.  So in the short run when consumers are buying less physical copies of Xbox One games, retailers might as well use that space to promote BOTH hardware and software for the Switch and PS4.

Yeah, you can be as childish as you want, or just try to argue the points instead :). 

And you are not giving an argument to seize with offering the console itself. Just replace "Xbox" with "PS4" and you might see how irrational it would seem then. I'm not upset one bit about their decision, they can sell whatever they want. But the reasoning seems illogical. If their argument would be that they will seize with selling Xbox because it doesn't sell well, that is only a rational step.

KingofTrolls said:
Puppyroach said:

I would guess that digital will be the norm within ten years, if not sooner. 

A lot of gamers will become "retro gamers" then.

Everybody has its own moment when he/she quits. I ate paid online, DLC, and other stuff. This is a way 2much for me. King is signing off.

On the other hand, even when you buy a physical game, you actually buy a digital product, it's only the medium where it's stored that is different.