By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gameware Stops Selling Xbox Systems in Reaction to Recent Game Pass Announcement

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

People buying Nintendo HW primarily wants Nintendo games =p which in itself shows that it isn't exactly the quality of Nintendo games (which is more or less constantly high) that make their console sales grow or diminish.

Uhm... I wasn't arguing the problem was Nintendo's games. The tablet control was a terrible idea and I believe that alone killed the Wii U.

Again, the same Wii U console instead using WIimotes as its primary controller would have been more successful AND cheaper.

I not you aren't arguing it. Neither am I saying that wasn't the problem. I'm more agreeing with you that although myself and others may think X1 exclusives are lacking that isn't a major point for the lower sales, as the quality of WiiU games or GC were issues for their sales as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
VideoGameAccountant said:

Fair point. Let me put it this way. The Wii U flopped and its games are definitely to blame, but Nintendo has been good about keeping a loyal fanbase. There were games on the Wii U that the Nintendo fan liked, even if it couldn't appeal to a wider market. This is also why Switch can succeed because Nintendo's games do attract people when the company has their shit together. Nintendo held on to their core, but Microsoft doesn't seem to be doing that. The base seems to be gone. 

And to answer your second question, it depends. Strong games always drive system sales and one game can change everything. The problem Microsoft has is they didn't create another hit after Halo or Gears. Rare never released a major success on XBox and their other studios didn't do much besides Fabel. The Kinect experiment may have also hurt them because their studios were focused on making Kinect games rather than the next big series. So when Microsoft tries to go away from Kinect, there's nothing to go back to. Sony's line-up isn't great, but at least its something and at least the company has a long history in games. With Microsoft, the rats all fled the sinking ship. The Wii U kept Nintendo diehards, but I can't say XBox One kept the Microsoft diehards. That's why I think this project won't work. 

As an aside, this looks like experimentation. It seems Microsoft is more looking into alternatives rather than trying to save the XBox One or try to relaunch with a new system. 

I'm curious, what constitutes a "great line-up"? They should define a console, not a company. One machine can have a better line-up than another, from the same company. 

Not exactly sure what you are talking about specifically. If it helps, think of it as a portfolio. Nintendo has a lot of series to draw from and they have shown they can push units when done right (the Wii U is an example of when its done wrong). Microsoft really only had Halo and Gears. When both of them struggled, they had nothing left to keep consumers. It would be like placing 80% of your portfolio in a single company and that company goes bankrupt. Microsoft hasn't been able to make a hit since those games, so once they started to decline, so did the XBox brand. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

AlfredoTurkey said:
Teeqoz said:

Nah, most general retailers sell tons of things purely for customer retention. We do so at work, nothing game related (including software) makes us money in any meaningful quantity, but we still sell it, because we want to retain those customers so that they come asking us when they want to buy something that DOES make us money.

That's not what the big box guys have said. They're totally against it.

First of all, I don't know who "the big box guys" are, but I do know that I work at the biggest general electronics retailer in scandinavia, and that's how it works here. You sell stuff that doesn't make you money, because people get used to always going to your store when they need something, so in the long run, you make money of each customer. If you don't have the product they need, they go to a competitor and before you know it, you've lost a customer.

Customer retention is much more important than the 20$ we lose on a console.

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

How will you be able to download the day one Patches expected with almost every game? Unless you have every game installed and updated with the launch patch (Which not everyone will have the space to do) Plus some times your own hardware can scratch and damage your own games. There are plenty of issues that you no longer have to worry about when going digital.

Companies do closed down, however a company closing down doesn't mean everything dies. Your Digital games will still exist in the Digital world it just means that company running the app will no longer be running the app. Also there are human rights. If a company decides to remove a game you paid for from your account there can be law suits. If you don't trust them than screen save your Digital Recepts.

One of my personal prime examples is my Super Mario Kart game's internal Battery no longer works, I can no longer save the game anymore. If Super Mario Kart was released Digital we wont ever have that problem. Half my NES games no longer work without me opening up the cartridges and attempting to fix them. 

Unless I'm a bit crazy none of my gen3 to 6 games need any patching and also my 7 and 8th gen games can work without patches, they are all playable straight from the disc without patching... I can't say the same about several of the launch window Xbox games because you had to patch it to remove the always online.

Man are you serious? So Human Rights now takes care of your digital game ownership rights?

You not being able to save doesn't make the game unplayable, also you can fix the issue.

Azzanation said:

So you are saying a Volkswagen Beetle is better than a Porsche 911 Carrera because it sold more? (Interms of better car no it isn't)

Quantity and Popularity never determines what is better.

We can argue that Xbox has better FPS and Racing games? We can Argue PS has better Action and Adventure games? All comes down to opinion. 

I personally think the Samsung Galaxy S8 is a much better Phone than the latest Apple Phones, yet Apple will always destroy the Samsung Galaxies when it comes to sales. Apple can basically make a bad product and it will still sell wonders. Hence why Sales never leads to better.

Nope. I'm saying the market certainly don't think Xbox is better. Also you gone a bit reaching on your fallacy, because you gone from comparing two direct competitors that sell at the same price against a Beetle vs 911... try opening a dealer and offering both at the same price and see if the Beetle would sell more then the 911 (also depending of the usage the Beetle would be better as well).

You can argue whatever you want, we know you would chose MS offerings against Sony.

But I'll wait for you to point to any objective evidence that shows Xbox is much better.

I think the point has gone over your head a little. Digital games are not going anywhere any time soon and its only getting bigger and bigger. I have tons of games and some simply don't work due to age or due to overuse. All Physical is to the industry is a Disc and a Case. That's all it is. No advantages aside from reselling them. (Now you can refund your Digital)

Digital Offers

Faster Load-times

Cheaper Game Prices (PC anyway)

No need to Store them

Cannot get Damage

Cannot get Stolen

Do not need the Disk to play the game

Bound to Accounts Allowing the use on multiple devices

You can also sue a company for taking away your paid digital games, hence why I said screen shot your receipts. Since I got into Digital more than 12 years ago I have not seen any company that would do that to there customers.

My Comparison has also gone over your head. What the Market thinks does not mean something is better. I told you I think the S8 Galaxy Mobile is a better Phone than the iPhone 8 and so does majority of the Phones reviews yet the iPhone 8 destroy it in sales. 

A Football team can have a lot more supporters yet the best team playing on the field might have the least amount of followers. 

You can compare any car comparison, the point is sales doesn't determine quality of a product. The best Cars also sell the least. 

Sure its good to have a huge amount of supporters and Sales with your product however from what I have learnt in life, Quantity never means Quality.

Aren't we debating Digital vs Physical? what's with you brining up Xbox? or is that your go to when you know your on the losing end to a debate?. Actually I am not surprise from you.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 28 January 2018

Teeqoz said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

That's not what the big box guys have said. They're totally against it.

First of all, I don't know who "the big box guys" are, but I do know that I work at the biggest general electronics retailer in scandinavia, and that's how it works here. You sell stuff that doesn't make you money, because people get used to always going to your store when they need something, so in the long run, you make money of each customer. If you don't have the product they need, they go to a competitor and before you know it, you've lost a customer.

If it really was like this every store would sell everything... there are some that this and their inventory increased to moronic levels that even if they profit on each item their bottomline is never satisfactory. So sure some product you may keep even if you don't have margin on it, but that only if it really brings customers that will buy more margin products, but the case when MS is killing off the items that give profit then they shall as well take of the ones that don't bring profit.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Unless I'm a bit crazy none of my gen3 to 6 games need any patching and also my 7 and 8th gen games can work without patches, they are all playable straight from the disc without patching... I can't say the same about several of the launch window Xbox games because you had to patch it to remove the always online.

Man are you serious? So Human Rights now takes care of your digital game ownership rights?

You not being able to save doesn't make the game unplayable, also you can fix the issue.

Nope. I'm saying the market certainly don't think Xbox is better. Also you gone a bit reaching on your fallacy, because you gone from comparing two direct competitors that sell at the same price against a Beetle vs 911... try opening a dealer and offering both at the same price and see if the Beetle would sell more then the 911 (also depending of the usage the Beetle would be better as well).

You can argue whatever you want, we know you would chose MS offerings against Sony.

But I'll wait for you to point to any objective evidence that shows Xbox is much better.

I think the point has gone over your head a little. Digital games are not going anywhere any time soon and its only getting bigger and bigger. I have tons of games and some simply don't work due to age or due to overuse. All Physical is to the industry is a Disc and a Case. That's all it is. No advantages aside from reselling them. (Now you can refund your Digital)

Digital Offers

Faster Load-times

No need to Store them

Cannot get Damage

Cannot get Stolen

You can also sue a company for taking away your paid digital games, hence why I said screen shot your receipts. Since I got into Digital more than 12 years ago I have not seen any company that would do that to there customers.

My Comparison has also gone over your head. What the Market thinks does not mean something is better. I told you I think the S8 Galaxy Mobile is a better Phone than the iPhone 8 and so does majority of the Phones reviews yet the iPhone 8 destroy it in sales. 

A Football team can have a lot more supporters yet the best team playing on the field might have the least amount of followers. 

You can compare any car comparison, the point is sales doesn't determine quality of a product. The best Cars also sell the least. 

Sure its good to have a huge amount of supporters and Sales with your product however from what I have learnt in life, Quantity never means Quality.

Aren't we debating Digital vs Physical? what's with you brining up Xbox? or is that your go to when you know your on the losing end to a debate?. Actually I am not surprise from you.

I know and don't care that digital offering is there and people like it, as long as I can keep my physical I don't care others have options. So which point is getting over my head?

Your gone over the head is a coup out when you don't know how to arguee? Because I know that what market think is better doesn't make it better, still it make the product better to them, and talking on capitalism that is all that matter.

Sure man, go ask microsoft if they would like a bigger quantity of customer, sigh.

Nope I'm not debating physical vs digital, from the begining my point was countering the "digital games are forever while physical will burn in a generation". And Xbox is the thread base so Xbox was here from the beggining, you should be asking about if you are taking issue with the discussion because it involve xbox.

Funny you talking about losing a debate.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

Fair point. Let me put it this way. The Wii U flopped and its games are definitely to blame, but Nintendo has been good about keeping a loyal fanbase. There were games on the Wii U that the Nintendo fan liked, even if it couldn't appeal to a wider market. This is also why Switch can succeed because Nintendo's games do attract people when the company has their shit together. Nintendo held on to their core, but Microsoft doesn't seem to be doing that. The base seems to be gone. 

And to answer your second question, it depends. Strong games always drive system sales and one game can change everything. The problem Microsoft has is they didn't create another hit after Halo or Gears. Rare never released a major success on XBox and their other studios didn't do much besides Fabel. The Kinect experiment may have also hurt them because their studios were focused on making Kinect games rather than the next big series. So when Microsoft tries to go away from Kinect, there's nothing to go back to. Sony's line-up isn't great, but at least its something and at least the company has a long history in games. With Microsoft, the rats all fled the sinking ship. The Wii U kept Nintendo diehards, but I can't say XBox One kept the Microsoft diehards. That's why I think this project won't work. 

As an aside, this looks like experimentation. It seems Microsoft is more looking into alternatives rather than trying to save the XBox One or try to relaunch with a new system. 

"Fair point, now here's my convoluted argument."

You say Nintendo's games are to blame for Wii U's failure, is that typo? The problem wasn't the games, the problem was the hardware/controller. Wii U was expensive and the tablet control was dumb as a primary controller. If they stuck with Wiimotes it would have been cheaper and sold better.

I've had this discussion with people, its often argued the problem with X1 is it lacks a huge new IP. N64 had Goldeneye. Xbox had Halo and Fable. Xbox 360 had Gears of War. Wii U had Splatoon. However, X1's 35 million sales and growing means it has crushed N64, OG Xbox, and WIi U in spite of lacking a huge IP. As for Xbox 360, that console thrived thanks to the failure of PS3 and that lead to a plethora of support.

The reason X1 struggling today is because mistakes at launch, that shifted the momentum back to PlayStation. Bascially, Sony regained it momentum that was lost from PS3. Regardless what MS does and regardless if they get a great selling new IP, they still have to compete with the momentum of PS4. Even if 10 or 20 million people buy a X1 to play some HUGE NEW IP, it would still be way behind PS4. This is why your argument holds no water.

You basically praise Wii U for maintaining die hard fans, meanwhile the X1 crushed it in sales. That tells me the die hard fans don't matter as much as the masses. People buy X1 because it has large library of notable games AND notable exclusives.

What is your perception of saving Xbox? If its profitable and has a viable userbase, it doesn't need saving per se. Efforts are clearly being made to grow the userbase as well. The X1X just released, the Xbox One S is generally competitively priced, numerous exclusives are coming this year, and numerous more are planned. Realistically, what more do you expect?

You are right about Microsoft (momentum is what makes a success vs a failure), but what I'm getting at is that Microsoft hasn't maintained Microsoft fans. Sony has this and Nintendo has this, but Microsoft doesn't. You can see this. Discussion about XBox is either negative or nonexistent. It's pretty much dried up with the XBox One, and that's the problem. It speaks more that the 360 existed moreso as a substitute to the PS3. The reverse could be said about the PS4 and XBox One, but Sony also buckled down and gave consumers a reason to stick with Playstation. Microsoft really hasn't as they've been canceling projects, delaying games, and focusing more on services and other experiments. 

What you are missing is I'm talking about future generations, not the current one. Sony was able to bounce back from the PS3. Nintendo bounced back from the Wii U. But I don't see Microsoft bouncing back. It also doesn't help that Microsoft has only had one success in the video game industry where Sony and Nintendo have had several. Even during the tail-end of the PS3 and Wii U, consumers were still talking about those games and the companies supported them to the best of their abilities. Microsoft doesn't have that. Discussion of XBox is slim and there aren't many titles keeping people around. Sure, it's done better than the Wii U, but is Microsoft positioned for a strong Gen 9. My answer is no.

Lastly, the Wii U was an issue of games. Nintendo Land didn't set the world on fire like Wii Sports. New Super Mario Bros U helped to push systems, but there was clear franchise fatigue. Games like Pikmin 3 and Game & Wario didn't really help despite taking months to come out (by the by, ever wonder why you haven't seen another WarioWare and why Pikmin 4 is basically vaporware, this is why). You probably also don't remember that there was a Wii Fit U or a Wii Party U. The Wii U's line-up was lackluster in 2013 and although it improved later on, there wasn't enough in 2014 or 2015. But Nintendo kept their loyalist which kept Nintendo in the public discussion and made people interested in Nintendo Switch.  The same could be said for PS3 with Uncharted and the Last of Us. The base doesn't make the system a success but it can help when launching a new one.

CGI-Quality said:

Not exactly sure what you are talking about specifically. If it helps, think of it as a portfolio. Nintendo has a lot of series to draw from and they have shown they can push units when done right (the Wii U is an example of when its done wrong). Microsoft really only had Halo and Gears. When both of them struggled, they had nothing left to keep consumers. It would be like placing 80% of your portfolio in a single company and that company goes bankrupt. Microsoft hasn't been able to make a hit since those games, so once they started to decline, so did the XBox brand. 

You said Sony's line-up wasn't "great". Like Nintendo, they have plenty of properties to draw in their crowds (in fact, I'd wager that they have more, despite, on average, Nintendo's properties selling higher). That's all I was getting at. Otherwise, I agree with most of what you're saying, especially in Microsoft's case.

Ahhh, I see. Your assessment of Sony is correct. The reason I say their line-up isn't great is that it's not strong enough to push consoles on its own and Sony still relies heavily on third parties. Where they are better than Microsoft is they have more than Halo and Gears and they at least come up with moderate hits each generation; the issue is they may not stick around for very long (Killzone is one such example). 

Visit my site for more

DonFerrari said:
Teeqoz said:

If it really was like this every store would sell everything... there are some that this and their inventory increased to moronic levels that even if they profit on each item their bottomline is never satisfactory. So sure some product you may keep even if you don't have margin on it, but that only if it really brings customers that will buy more margin products, but the case when MS is killing off the items that give profit then they shall as well take of the ones that don't bring profit.

Azzanation said:

Digital Offers

Faster Load-times

No need to Store them

Cannot get Damage

Cannot get Stolen

I know and don't care that digital offering is there and people like it, as long as I can keep my physical I don't care others have options. So which point is getting over my head?

Your gone over the head is a coup out when you don't know how to arguee? Because I know that what market think is better doesn't make it better, still it make the product better to them, and talking on capitalism that is all that matter.

Sure man, go ask microsoft if they would like a bigger quantity of customer, sigh.

Nope I'm not debating physical vs digital, from the begining my point was countering the "digital games are forever while physical will burn in a generation". And Xbox is the thread base so Xbox was here from the beggining, you should be asking about if you are taking issue with the discussion because it involve xbox.

No one is asking you to accept Digital, you came out with negativity about going Digital and I just told you the benefits Digital has over Physical.

I am debating Digital vs Physical on all fronts. Weather Xbox or Sony do it better is all up inn the air, save it for another article. 

If there's anything I am going to back in this thread is PC gaming because its been doing it right for decades.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

No one is asking you to accept Digital, you came out with negativity about going Digital and I just told you the benefits Digital has over Physical.

I am debating Digital vs Physical on all fronts. Weather Xbox or Sony do it better is all up inn the air, save it for another article. 

If there's anything I am going to back in this thread is PC gaming because its been doing it right for decades.

I came out with negativity? Keep drinking your kool aid man, no one cares. I have digital for games I don't really care about collecting and have gone for under 10USD on the store.

You are just totally off-topic them. Because the thread is about a store removing Xbox from their shelves because of what MS is doing... want to give the advantages the store will see from the move MS done and why they should have kept the console?

CGI-Quality said:

Ahhh, I see. Your assessment of Sony is correct. The reason I say their line-up isn't great is that it's not strong enough to push consoles on its own and Sony still relies heavily on third parties. Where they are better than Microsoft is they have more than Halo and Gears and they at least come up with moderate hits each generation; the issue is they may not stick around for very long (Killzone is one such example). 

I like that, though. Sony always brings something new to the table. Makes each PlayStation feel unique, but most of their properties are strong enough to return for more. And Killzone got a much needed break. They don't have a major history of running properties into the ground. 

And Sony have a lot of IPs that they could pay 2nd party studios to make sequels

CGI-Quality said:

I like that, though. Sony always brings something new to the table. Makes each PlayStation feel unique, but most of their properties are strong enough to return for more. And Killzone got a much needed break. They don't have a major history of running properties into the ground. 

There isn't anything wrong with making new stuff and more power to you if your happy with Sony's method. My criticism is you also need to be able to maintain a series for more than a generation or two. One of Sony's vulnerabilities is if third parties find an alternative. This hurt the PS3 as companies just made for the cheaper 360 as well and hurt the Vita as development resources were siphoned from the 3DS. God of War will be a real test because we'll see if Sony is able to revitalize a once successful but dormant series. Of course, this may be a topic for another thread.  

Visit my site for more