By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gameware Stops Selling Xbox Systems in Reaction to Recent Game Pass Announcement

When I bought my Wii U I bought a couple Sports Club vouchers for bowling and tennis... codes printed on a receipts. Can't these stores sell digital copies of games? I mean, I would prefer professional advice if I was shopping for a game.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network
Xen said:

I do not understand why is it that some people here think physical games are gonna go the way of Blockbuster. They are different mediums, in price,value, and fans. Digital is surely going to go stronger in the coming years, but I imagine it will reach some kind of peak after which it will barely grow - too many people are attached to their physical copies, myself included.

There needs to be an overhaul of digital, with better deals (except for steam, the deals are in fact too good), a simple loaning mechanism, and re-sell value if it is to improve upon physical further.

Well unless I missed it, only one person in the thread has said all brick and mortar game stores will go the way of Blockbuster, unless of course they adapt. I think eventually they’ll become such a niche compared to digital, that these gaming centric stores will shut down. Blockbusters problem wasn’t just digital, because digital DVDs and Blu-rays still exist. Blockbusters problem was they had shitty prices and didn’t do enough to diversify what they offered. So once competition like Netflix and Redbox blew up, there was nowhere else to turn. That’s why GameStop has expanded greatly in other areas like phones, tablets, clothing, and collectibles. Eventually you’ll only to be able to buy them online or in big retailers who don’t focus solely on games, like Walmart or Best Buy. And even there, gaming sections are shrinking.

I think once prices are more reasonable and Internet speeds are more consistent, people will go digital purely for convenience reasons.

I think Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot with this Game Pass stuff. These retailers are their business partners. It is stupid to do things that harm your business partners.

Xen said:
Puppyroach said:

You might not think that physical will become more or less extinct, but you can´t even understand how some of us think it will? ecause there aren´t emphirical data to draw conclusions from?

The empirical data shows that digital is gaining on physical, but there has to be a certain limit to this growth is exactly what I am saying.

Indeed, remember when people said that an overwhelming majority of people on PC would only buy digital, tss silly people =p.

DonFerrari said:

Azzanation said:

Lets not make a list on how many games become unplayable via there conditions compared to games being unplayable due to servers shutting down.

Servers shutting down rarely happen and if it does happen it happens to online games or games that no body plays anymore. I have a giant collection of old games and due to there age some of them have completely stopped working. I cannot buy the games anymore and I cannot fix them. I check my Steam account and see all my games I have collected over the 12 years. Not one of them is unplayable and that's over 1000 games. 

If you buy your Digital games off a App that isn't well supported (Outside Steam, Live, PSN, EShop) than that's an issue in itself. The brands I mentioned are not going anywhere anytime soon and that means neither would my games.

Yes let's not make a list because I can keep all my games on good condition while I can't responsabilize for servers.

If you take bad care of your games that is on you, sorry. And you can't be sure about any of those services... Gameloft have been on game for over a decade and now it isn't supported in some devices, Kodak was the leader on its field and basically vanished... you can't be sure about any service or company situation in 10 years. Valve could be bought for some reason and all servers shut, you'll never know.

You do know that not every human is perfect and everything physical has a wear and tear timer right? Every time you put a game in your system you are wearing out the game out and the system. It might take years however eventually it will stop working due to it. That is not a human error. That's where Digital is superior, it never wears, its always there, and don't tell me that if the Servers shut down you will lose your games. If Steam folded, I can safely bet that another company will take the Steam Service and continue with it.

What kind of poor examples are the ones you mentioned above? Really you are going to use Kodak and Gameloft as examples? I don't think we need to go into why they no longer exist or are supported and its also funny because with one of them it was due to the up rising of Digital Media.

You also know that if Steam, Live, PSN and Eshop closed there doors, you wont be able to play any of your physical games anyway so the point of physical is nothing more than something for collectors. Don't panic I am also a game collector however I know where the future is heading and have accepted it the moment I signed up on Steam 12 years ago..

Come back and tell me when something replaces Digital Media, ill be waiting here for your return.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Xen said:

I do not understand why is it that some people here think physical games are gonna go the way of Blockbuster. They are different mediums, in price,value, and fans. Digital is surely going to go stronger in the coming years, but I imagine it will reach some kind of peak after which it will barely grow - too many people are attached to their physical copies, myself included.

There needs to be an overhaul of digital, with better deals (except for steam, the deals are in fact too good), a simple loaning mechanism, and re-sell value if it is to improve upon physical further.

Well unless I missed it, only one person in the thread has said all brick and mortar game stores will go the way of Blockbuster, unless of course they adapt. I think eventually they’ll become such a niche compared to digital, that these gaming centric stores will shut down. Blockbusters problem wasn’t just digital, because digital DVDs and Blu-rays still exist. Blockbusters problem was they had shitty prices and didn’t do enough to diversify what they offered. So once competition like Netflix and Redbox blew up, there was nowhere else to turn. That’s why GameStop has expanded greatly in other areas like phones, tablets, clothing, and collectibles. Eventually you’ll only to be able to buy them online or in big retailers who don’t focus solely on games, like Walmart or Best Buy. And even there, gaming sections are shrinking.

I think once prices are more reasonable and Internet speeds are more consistent, people will go digital purely for convenience reasons.

In Brazil Blockbuster was bought and survived a little longer as blockbuster trying some diversification, but later they all became the same store of the one who bought.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes let's not make a list because I can keep all my games on good condition while I can't responsabilize for servers.

If you take bad care of your games that is on you, sorry. And you can't be sure about any of those services... Gameloft have been on game for over a decade and now it isn't supported in some devices, Kodak was the leader on its field and basically vanished... you can't be sure about any service or company situation in 10 years. Valve could be bought for some reason and all servers shut, you'll never know.

You do know that not every human is perfect and everything physical has a wear and tear timer right? Every time you put a game in your system you are wearing out the game out and the system. It might take years however eventually it will stop working due to it. That is not a human error. That's where Digital is superior, it never wears, its always there, and don't tell me that if the Servers shut down you will lose your games. If Steam folded, I can safely bet that another company will take the Steam Service and continue with it.

What kind of poor examples are the ones you mentioned above? Really you are going to use Kodak and Gameloft as examples? I don't think we need to go into why they no longer exist or are supported and its also funny because with one of them it was due to the up rising of Digital Media.

You also know that if Steam, Live, PSN and Eshop closed there doors, you wont be able to play any of your physical games anyway so the point of physical is nothing more than something for collectors. Don't panic I am also a game collector however I know where the future is heading and have accepted it the moment I signed up on Steam 12 years ago..

Come back and tell me when something replaces Digital Media, ill be waiting here for your return.

Yes I do know... and sure normal wear and tear exist, still the BD should survive like 100 years... all mine have no scratch, and even the one I bought used and had a lot of scretchs (seemed like someone really tried to damage it) worked fine.

Any company that exist can close, it is as simple as that, just because you can't image it happening it doesn't mean it won't. Most companies on the toop ranking didn't even exist some years ago and a lot of century old companies died... So not sure you are so sure it couldn't ever happen.

Not sure how could my physical games not work on my physical HW just because these stores closed doors... it won't get new patches, but it will still be able to boot and run.

I don't need anything to replace digital media, I like my physical media and will use as long as it exist.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Gamestop's reaction is unsurprising, of course, I also don't expect this program Microsoft is doing to really go anywhere as the value of Microsoft's games has fallen off a cliff (otherwise, XBox One would be doing better).

I disagree with a lot of people in this thread that "it's brick-and-mortar going away." Physical is still important in games and consumers will still choose it over digital. Even if consumers being able to buy most classic games digitally, the market for NES/Genesis/SNES carts is still strong and has created somewhat of a cottage industry. Distribution may change, but physical will be in demand for a long time to come.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

xbox < ps4 anyway

makaveli1818 said:

xbox < ps4 anyway

Xbox > PS4 though

The_Liquid_Laser said:
I think Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot with this Game Pass stuff. These retailers are their business partners. It is stupid to do things that harm your business partners.

People who subscribe to gamepass and like it will however most likely stick to owning Xbox consoles and that is worth a lot, brand loyalty. Also their games sell pretty bad but with gamepass more people will try out their games and maybe find something they like and in response they will share this online and with friends, you have to start somewhere with a comeback because what they where doing wasn't working either.

Twitter @CyberMalistix