By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How important is VR (Games) to you in the future? + The Inpatient - Launch Trailer

Errorist76 said:
John2290 said:

I hear the screen is nicer to view through than than Vive/oculus and much more confortable on the eyes with god rays being a big complaint with the oculus and the screen door being most apparent on the Vive. I'm not sure what to believe as I've only tried the PSVR but apparently it has the least screen door effect/godrays and needs less adjusting. Also, I wouldn't add the Vive pro to any list yet, give the Samsung oddessy some love it's been out for a while now and is 2880x1600.

I’ve tried them and yes.. PSVR has by far the better lenses and most colourful screen with noticeably lowest screen door and bigger FOV.

Odyssey has good lenses too though, as far as I hear. The fresnel lenses on Vive and Rift really distort the view and make everything outside the center appear kinda blurry. I assume the Vive Pro will get better lenses though additionally to higher res and lower screen door.

I have PSVR and Rift and both use them often... the screen quality is on par, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

The (slightly) higher resolution of the Rift evens out the screen door effect in most cases. The field of view seems the same to me. The god rays are only visible in dark scenes with high contrast (f.e. white text on black background).

I prefer the Rift in most hardware demanding multi-platform VR-games where the PS4 Pro outputs a sub-native resolution and/or no anti-aliasing. In less demanding games where the PSVR gets input in native resolution and has some anti-aliasing, the screen quality is almost the same.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Kbbm824 said:
Have had PS VR for a year or so and It's collecting dust - I've played a total of about 30 hours on it.

Played anything that came out recently? Apex contruct, Moss and Blasters of the Universe are great game in there own right, regardless of the VR aspect, well worth your time and money.

I haven't played any of those games no. I've played maybe 10 or 15 games on my PS VR - best of those were the playroom VR free game and Resident Evil 7 - but not even those games, really makes me want to go through the hazzle of setting the VR up and sweating like a pig ;P Gaming is the most relaxing experience for me, just not in vr.

John2290 said:
Conina said:

I have PSVR and Rift and both use them often... the screen quality is on par, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

The (slightly) higher resolution of the Rift evens out the screen door effect in most cases. The field of view seems the same to me. The god rays are only visible in dark scenes with high contrast (f.e. white text on black background).

I prefer the Rift in most hardware demanding multi-platform VR-games where the PS4 Pro outputs a sub-native resolution and/or no anti-aliasing. In less demanding games where the PSVR gets input in native resolution and has some anti-aliasing, the screen quality is almost the same.

What's your thoughts on the comfort level of the design and how does it effect your usage time within the headset or sweat/face wiping?. The rift to me seems like it could get terribly uncomfortable very quickly, I hope they update it to at least something on par with the Vive pro's design because it seems to put a lot of people of using the headset. Honestly really surprised the vive pro didn't adopt the PSVR/Windows MR design as it screams out for being the standard design, especially with the possibility of adding a hinge like some of the Windows MR headsets have implemented, it just seems like the next evolutionary step.

The PSVR is more comfortable, but the Rift ain't uncomfortable either.

There is a bit pressure on the face, so you can see the pressure points in your face when you look in the mirror after you have worn the Rift. But no sweating problem in normal games, only in sport games with much moving around... so far only in Racket NX:

View on YouTube

Probably also in Sprint Vector, what I haven't played yet.

View on YouTube

The last days I played Insomniac's awesome "The Unspoken: Acolytes" (nice story, very good graphics, throwing fire balls and using other spells with your arms), but it is more strategic and less exhausting, so no sweating problem there.

My glasses fit comfortably both under the PSVR and the Rift... buut in the Rift I have to "dive in" with the Nose first, the PSVR I can pull over my glasses from the top. The Vive is the most problematic with glasses as far as I've read.

The integrated headphones of the Rift are awesome. They don't put any pressure on my ears (I'm sensitive there), are always in the right place and never in the way. My PSVR is the old model and putting on additional headphones is a hassle.

And I love the Oculus Touch controllers... I really hope Sony will offer similar controllers for PSVR 2 or as optional PSVR1-controllers.

Last edited by Conina - on 11 March 2018

If you already have a PSVR and can wait, then wait for the next gen of PC VR headsets and GPUs... the experience will only get better with new hardware and the games aren't running away.

That said, my i5-4670K + GTX 1070 are fast enough to play almost any VR-only game. In some demanding games where VR was only an afterthought (Obduction, Project Cars 1 + 2) you have to make some compromises in the settings... a GTX1080Ti would fix that, but I'm waiting for the successor.

And I love to have access to almost ALL good VR games right now, no matter if they are PSVR exclusives or PC VR exclusives.

- PC VR exclusives: Robo Recall, Talos Principle VR, Serious Sam VR 1 - 3, FORM, Esper 1 + 2, The Lab, Wilson's Heart, Chronos, Arktika.1, The Unspoken, Edge of Nowhere, Lone Echo, Dead and Buried... more will be announced at GDC

- awesome VR-mods for older PC games: No One Lives Forever 2, Doom 3 BFG, Alien Isolation...

- free UE4-demos with built in VR-support: Tomb Raider: The Dagger of Xian Demo...

- better versions of multi-platform VR games: Arizona Sunshine, Superhot VR, Dirt Rally...

- dirt cheap experimental VR games in VR-bundles, which include some hidden gems

- some cool Oculus "experiences" like Blade Runner 2049 Memory Lab, Dream Collect, Firebird: Le Peri...

John2290 said:
Conina said:

The PSVR is more comfortable, but the Rift ain't uncomfortable either.

There is a bit pressure on the face, so you can see the pressure points in your face when you look in the mirror after you have worn the Rift. But no sweating problem in normal games, only in sport games with much moving around... so far only in Racket NX:

View on YouTube

Probably also in Spint Vector, what I haven't played yet.

My glasses fit comfortably both under the PSVR and the Rift... buut in the Rift I have to "dive in" with the Nose first, the PSVR I can pull over my glasses from the top. The Vive is the most problematic with glasses as far as I've read.

The integrated headphones of the Rift are awesome. They don't put any pressure on my ears (I'm sensitive there), are always in the right place and never in the way. My PSVR is the old model and putting on additional headphones is a hassle.

And I love the Oculus Touch controllers... I really hope Sony will offer similar controllers for PSVR 2 or as optional PSVR1-controllers.

Yeah the controllers, tracking and obviously the steam library and early access are a big pull for me in terms of PCVR, yet I'm put of by almost everything else as it is. Either going with the Rift and vive which seem like a step back in terms of screen and ease of use/comfortability for me at least. I realy need that gap from the face for air from my fan to get in to keep me from sweating in games like Sprint vector, blasters and the like and I'm sure with the summer coming up it'll be handy even for normal sitting games so that leaves only the Samsung oddessy for me as an option yet the tracking is sup PS camera levels apparently, well maybe not in games that are mainly focused on where you are looking but it's a big draw back to games like sprint vector and VRFC which I'd assume more games like that are on the way. I'm so confused as it is with this whole debacle of crypto mining bringing up the price of cards and how that'll effect me in the future but still very interested in the PC VR space. May I ask what you a running the rift on and do you encounter any games that you can't or find it taxing to run? I was thinking just buying a ready built PC and then modding in a used card but I can't find gaurantees on any card being somewhat future proof for VR, it'll seem like anual upgrades or at the very least by annual will be needed to keep up.

Steam library isn’t really an argument, as you can play Steam VR games with your PSVR using Trinus VR. Definitely need to try this some day soon.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Errorist76 said:

Steam library isn’t really an argument, as you can play Steam VR games with your PSVR using Trinus VR. Definitely need to try this some day soon.

Eh, I'd rather not go through all that shit, If I do make the jump I want it to be as simple and easy as possible. That all looks like on hell of a headache but Conina makes a good point, waiting til the next gen might be a good idea. Is the Vive Pro being counted as next gen though? What would classify the next gen? Hmm, I sense a thread coming on, lol.

Yeah definitely....I’d never buy one of the PC headsets atm. I would want a real step up from PSVR and Vive Pro or the next gen Oculus are the only ones I’m interested in for the future.

John2290 said:
Errorist76 said:

Eh, I'd rather not go through all that shit, If I do make the jump I want it to be as simple and easy as possible. That all looks like on hell of a headache but Conina makes a good point, waiting til the next gen might be a good idea. Is the Vive Pro being counted as next gen though? What would classify the next gen? Hmm, I sense a thread coming on, lol.

Yeah, I looked up some Trinus setup videos... you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it all running. Not worth my time and nerves.

For best experiences you also have to buy additional hardware (tracker, base station, controllers).

PC VR games with gamepad input are the easiest with Trinus/PSVR (f. e. Lucky's tale): motion tracking of the headset works without external sensors, but you don't have positional tracking for headset + controllers.

If you want to track the position of the headset and controllers, things get complicated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjE3CoeVTUE

- you have to mount an additional tracker on your headset (extra weight and an additional cable... yay!)

- if you want to use the PSVR with PS4 and PC, you have to remove or remount that every time you switch the system (or drag the useless cable to the PS4)

- you have to mount the NOLO base station to the ceiling above the PC VR area... only one sensor, probably less precise than Vive or Rift tracking with several sensors

- of course you have to pull it from the ceiling every few days to change batteries, then reattach it

- you can't use PS move controllers for positional tracking since these are camera based and not infrared-based, also they are missing some buttons for Vive or Oculus touch emulation

- the controllers in the NOLO set (which costs $200 + taxes + shipping) are also missing some buttons and handtracking of the Oculus touch controllers; some games will be incompatible or hard to control

An Oculus Rift set (which includes also some good games) with much better controllers and tracking doesn't cost that much more than this bodge job above ($199 + shipping + taxes + $15 for Trinus PSVR software).

Conina said:
John2290 said:

Yeah, I looked up some Trinus setup videos... you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it all running. Not worth my time and nerves.

For best experiences you also have to buy additional hardware (tracker, base station, controllers).

PC VR games with gamepad input are the easiest with Trinus/PSVR (f. e. Lucky's tale): motion tracking of the headset works without external sensors, but you don't have positional tracking for headset + controllers.

If you want to track the position of the headset and controllers, things get complicated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjE3CoeVTUE

- you have to mount an additional tracker on your headset (extra weight and an additional cable... yay!)

- if you want to use the PSVR with PS4 and PC, you have to remove or remount that every time you switch the system (or drag the useless cable to the PS4)

- you have to mount the NOLO base station to the ceiling above the PC VR area... only one sensor, probably less precise than Vive or Rift tracking with several sensors

- of course you have to pull it from the ceiling every few days to change batteries, then reattach it

- you can't use PS move controllers for positional tracking since these are camera based and not infrared-based, also they are missing some buttons for Vive or Oculus touch emulation

- the controllers in the NOLO set (which costs $200 + taxes + shipping) are also missing some buttons and handtracking of the Oculus touch controllers; some games will be incompatible or hard to control

An Oculus Rift set (which includes also some good games) with much better controllers and tracking doesn't cost that much more than this bodge job above ($199 + shipping + taxes + $15 for Trinus PSVR software).

Oh I didnt know it was this difficult and expensive. Nah...doesn’t seem worth the hassle.

Oh, he has a new video of last week with a cheaper solution (camera based with 4 USB-cameras and PS Move compatible):

View on YouTube

Even more DIY and probably less compatible (no sticks or touchpads, only buttons), but interesting nonetheless.

And with this solution you get a light bulb on your head for positional tracking of the headset... looks funny.