By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How important is VR (Games) to you in the future? + The Inpatient - Launch Trailer

How important is VR (Games) to you in the future? That would be interesting to me. Is VR a nice feature, a great experience, or incredibly important to the future of video games for you personally? Let's see what the majority thinks about it. And which genre does VR best use? I think for survival horror games (for me).

By the way, PSVR Game: The Inpatient

Here the Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aAaTKuzJcc

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 24 January 2018

Around the Network

Looking forward to playing my first big open world game on a premium VR headset. Either of which have yet to be made. Fingers crossed for something like that to happen within the next 5 years.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Had PSVR, sold it. So for me off no importance.

As it stands, VR isn't really all that important to me. Sure I like the look of the HTC Vive knuckle controllers and VR chat, but nothing else really stands out to me as something I'd need to really rush out and grab a headset for.

I'm looking at another 3-5 years wait until VR really grabs me, and that's if it grabs me and improves drastically.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Idk about the future but currently it’s by far the most enjoyable way to play Videogames to me. I don’t think I will ever play a shooter with a controller again where I have to look on a small flat screen to watch a game like I would look through a window and move a analog stick to move a crosshairs that’s fixed in the middle of the screen again though. That just feels extremely bad compared to playing something like farpoint with psvr aim controller.

Currently I game 70% on psvr and 30% on switch (on the go, in bed). I don’t use the ps4 for tv based gaming anymore for 15 months now.

btw: most people that dislike vr havnt tried it yet or suffer from motion sickness on my expierence. I don’t think anybody that has no problem with motion sickness and has a vr headset would prefer playing any game just on the tv.

i do understand those people though, I was pretty turned off from vr after getting motion sick while playing driveclub in the first weeks of ownership as well and almost sold the headset. Luckily I havnt and my body Adepted to the new medium over time, so I don’t suffer from motion sickness anymore :)

Last edited by habam - on 24 January 2018

Around the Network

It revived my interest in gaming and made me feel like a kid again. It's very important to me as I'm not looking forward to any non VR games anymore.

I'll be picking up the inpatient in store tomorrow. Not sure when I'll get to it though, my VR backlog is growing and GTS is so addictive. I can imagine how bad that would be if the full game was in VR! I played DriveClub again for months in VR.

Current VR is a great place for developers to get their heads wrapped around development. I don't expect AAA titles to be in VR exclusive for the next few years, but I would like to see all AAA titles have some form of VR. For any remaster of previous gen titles, VR is close to a must.

Once we move to next gen VR, I expect nearly all AAA titles to go VR exclusive. I will be extreamly disappointed if Grand Theft Auto, Call Of Duty, Gran Turismo, Killzone, Horizon, Naughty Dog Title, don't take full advantage of VR, Motion Controls, Full Body Tracking, and Voice. These are industry leading IPs or developers that showcase the pinnacle of gameplay, story telling, and immersion. I hope they will continue to set the example for the rest of the industry and drive demand for VR.

The more VR I play the harder it is to go back to a Controller and TV. Even with a 75" 4K HDR display the expereince does not even hold a candle to VR. You can not subsitute size or resolution for the optics that put you right inside the expereince. Nor can your replace control of limbs and hands with the extreamly limited functions of a traditional controller. Controller and TV now feels like I have been in a horrible accident and no longer have any control of my body, and I am forced to look through a window in a helmet.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Not really interested in VR, to be honest. It hasn't proved it can do anything regular games can't do. Motion controlls proved it could add a lot, specially when it's complementary to the regular controlls. I still have to see this happening to VR.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Not really interested in VR, to be honest. It hasn't proved it can do anything regular games can't do. Motion controlls proved it could add a lot, specially when it's complementary to the regular controlls. I still have to see this happening to VR.

Vr uses 1:1 tracked motion controls :D but nice try ;)

habam said:

Idk about the future but currently it’s by far the most enjoyable way to play Videogames to me. I don’t think I will ever play a shooter with a controller again where I have to look on a small flat screen to watch a game like I would look through a window and move a analog stick to move a crosshairs that’s fixed in the middle of the screen again though. That just feels extremely bad compared to playing something like farpoint with psvr aim controller.

Currently I game 70% on psvr and 30% on switch (on the go, in bed). I don’t use the ps4 for tv based gaming anymore for 15 months now.

btw: most people that dislike vr havnt tried it yet or suffer from motion sickness on my expierence. I don’t think anybody that has no problem with motion sickness and has a vr headset would prefer playing any game just on the tv.

i do understand those people though, I was pretty turned off from vr after getting motion sick while playing driveclub in the first weeks of ownership as well and almost sold the headset. Luckily I havnt and my body Adepted to the new medium over time, so I don’t suffer from motion sickness anymore :)

I don't think this is true at all.  At the very least, it's a massive overstatement.  One of the best things about gaming as a hobby is how diverse it is.  There is literally something for everyone.  The saying "to each their own" exists for a reason, because everyone's tastes are different.  And no one's perception of something is "better" or "the right way" compared to someone elses.  I enjoy VR a great deal.  I bought an Oculus Rift this Summer, and yes, I was blown away by it.  The immersion is truly remarkable.  There were moments in Batman VR that truly creeped me out, and Wilson's Heart that literally made me jump.  I don't have any problems with motion sickness, not even during Eve Valkyrie dogfights.  However, even bearing all of that in mind, VR has not changed my opinion of standard gaming.  I still primarily game on Nintendo Switch.  Having VR hasn't stopped me from completing 3 Switch full retail games and several digital titles already (which is a very impressive pace for me in terms of gaming).  The portability is a huge factor in that, but I also greatly enjoy playing my Switch games on my 55" TV as well (I was just playing Fire Emblem Warriors on my TV last night in fact). 

Playing games one way, in no way diminishes my enjoyment of playing games another, regardless of how impressive an experience may be.  Seeing a movie in IMAX does not diminish my appreciation of watching the 1925 Phantom of the Opera silent film.  I can still take time out of my day to play games on my Coleco Vision and Adam computer (I still get excited to this day about the new homebrew releases that have continued to expand the libraries of these old systems).  Just this week I was playing Lunar Silver Star Story on my Sega CD.  I get being amazed by something.  When that happens, it's a truly great feeling.  But, it shouldn't alter your perception of everything else that came before it or is still being created.  It's like those people who saw Avatar and then left the theater depressed because they felt the colors of that world were more impressive than real life.  I don't get that.  It's one thing to enjoy or even prefer something, but when it diminishes your experience with something you used to enjoy, that's a shame in my opinion and I'm glad I'm not affected in that way.