By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How important is VR (Games) to you in the future? + The Inpatient - Launch Trailer

"MOSS" looks nice.

yesterday i play for 2 hours PSVR with a friend. my VR favorite games are "Summer Lesson" and the Inpatient now. Resident Evil 7 was good too.

Around the Network
KazumaKiryu said:
"MOSS" looks nice.

yesterday i play for 2 hours PSVR with a friend. my VR favorite games are "Summer Lesson" and the Inpatient now. Resident Evil 7 was good too.

So you like The Inpatient?! Reviews seem very mediocre but I get the feeling I would actually enjoy it a lot. I like unique experiences.

Errorist76 said:
KazumaKiryu said:
"MOSS" looks nice.

So you like The Inpatient?! Reviews seem very mediocre but I get the feeling I would actually enjoy it a lot. I like unique experiences.

I'm honest ... it's only mediocre (gameplay/soundtracks/details), but the (horror-)shocks/atmosphere are good. I can not say much about the story yet. Will continue to play it sometime later, if I have more time.

I definitely look forward to a day where giant exploration games can be realized in vr. Imagine exploring Mira in a skell in VR and coming face to face with Telethia Plume! That would be intense, the present of where VR is though is very limited.

John2290 said:
It has become that most important aspect of my gaming time. I increasingly look at games come out like Kingdom come deliverence and think. 'id buy this if it were in VR' or had the option to go VR at least. Im a big racing fan but now that ive tried VR while racing, i cant simply go back. Same with horror games.

So many games I was looking foward too are now going to be flash sale buys for me with the few exception of God of war, detroit, Days gone etc

Even my priority of majour buys has changed, I'll not be buying a 4k tv now nor the switch i expected to buy early this year. My budget for gaming (climbing since my last purchase of steering wheel and psvr) will be reserved for a ps4 pro, An Aim controller, A new swivel game chair with feedback and quite possibly every new, half decent vr games.

In fact i think i may be spoiled so much by VR, playing on a screen is getting to be a turn off for me. As i said, there are games i really wanna play but looking through window into a game world feels like going from Ps1 3d games to NES game. Still doable if the game is good but its just not the same.

Also, the Inpatient is indeed scary and really immersive. Cant wait for apex construct, Blood and truth and wipeouts vr update. No titles outside of vr have me hyped half as much as a single one of those titles.

All games for me have been flash sale purchases for a while now. It takes no time for games to drastically reduce in price, especially if you buy codes offline. Greenmangaming.com is a good place to go and is an actual site that won't screw you over. Looking for cheap downloads, excellent place to go.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
CladInShadows said:

Thanks for that.  I was truly curious about the differing perspectives, so it's nice to see different styles aren't forgotten.

I believe the Oculus controllers have analog sticks on them.  I'm about 90% sure that if I take the VR plunge, it'll be the Oculus I go with, at least at first.

Oculus controllers are great, the best in the market atm, but both VIve and Rift screens are really sub-par. Better wait for the next gen versions like Vive Pro. Oculus hasn't announced a successor yet.

Yeah, I've been considering that since I first read about the Vive announcement.  I also just did a full upgrade on my PC to a top end gaming rig (partially in anticipation of my eventual VR purchase), so my budget for a VR system will be nil at least until much later in the year.

Are Vive and Oculus screens both inferior to PSVR?  I was under the impression that PSVR was the lowest of the 3.

John2290 said:
It has become that most important aspect of my gaming time. I increasingly look at games come out like Kingdom come deliverence and think. 'id buy this if it were in VR' or had the option to go VR at least. Im a big racing fan but now that ive tried VR while racing, i cant simply go back. Same with horror games.

So many games I was looking foward too are now going to be flash sale buys for me with the few exception of God of war, detroit, Days gone etc

Even my priority of majour buys has changed, I'll not be buying a 4k tv now nor the switch i expected to buy early this year. My budget for gaming (climbing since my last purchase of steering wheel and psvr) will be reserved for a ps4 pro, An Aim controller, A new swivel game chair with feedback and quite possibly every new, half decent vr games.

In fact i think i may be spoiled so much by VR, playing on a screen is getting to be a turn off for me. As i said, there are games i really wanna play but looking through window into a game world feels like going from Ps1 3d games to NES game. Still doable if the game is good but its just not the same.

Also, the Inpatient is indeed scary and really immersive. Cant wait for apex construct, Blood and truth and wipeouts vr update. No titles outside of vr have me hyped half as much as a single one of those titles.

Absolutely..Kingdom Come would be ideal. I even thought if Sea of Thieves would work in VR, yesterday when I watched a stream.

I am still hyped for God of War and stuff, but you're right. Now, after playing a lot of Dirt Rally VR recently, Wipeout VR is my most anticipated title atm. I really hope they can pull it off.

the-pi-guy said:
CladInShadows said:

Are Vive and Oculus screens both inferior to PSVR?  I was under the impression that PSVR was the lowest of the 3.

PSVR has the lowest resolution.  

PSVR = 1920x1080

Vive/Oculus = 2160x1200

Vive Pro = 2880x1600

Some others:

StarVR/PiMax 5K = 5120x1440

PiMax 8K = 7680x2160

Right, so why is Errorist saying that Vive and Oculus screens are inferior?  In what way?

CladInShadows said:
the-pi-guy said:

PSVR has the lowest resolution.  

PSVR = 1920x1080

Vive/Oculus = 2160x1200

Vive Pro = 2880x1600

Some others:

StarVR/PiMax 5K = 5120x1440

PiMax 8K = 7680x2160

Right, so why is Errorist saying that Vive and Oculus screens are inferior?  In what way?

The PSVR uses an RGB Matrix Screen, which uses 3 sub pixels per pixel. Rift and Vive use a Pentile matrix with 2-sub-pixels. This leads to a noticeably lower amount of screen door effect (the visible borders between the pixels) compared to Rift and Vive. Regardless of the slightly lower resolution. Imho the screen is also more colourful. Rift and Vive seem a little washed out. Additionally PSVR screen does 120Hz compared to 90 Hz on Rift and Vive.

Another point where PSVR excells over the other two is comfort and especially lense quality. Rift and Vive use fresnel lenses which cause retractions and distortions. Here Sony’s experience in camera technology clearly shows.

Where the other two are noticeably better is headset and controller tracking.

Thought I would give an update now that I have played The Inpaitent, and read more comments.

To start off, I am kinda 50/50 on The Inpaitent. The Graphics are phenomenal, the sound design is equally impressive, and I really like the voice command options. Howver, I didn't really enjoy the story or the gameplay. I think the Story just didn't work for me because I don't really take horror content seriously in any form. The gameplay though, I was extreamly disappointed.

This is the second major release in a row, that has displayed incredibly pore controls. Games have had much better movemnet, and interaction than this from day one. Moving feels like garbage, picking up items is goofy, not being able to pick up things is immersion breaking. Worst of all, the arms feel like this is a spiritual successor to Octodad. That was fine in OD, but why the heel does this guy have jeely arms in this game?

I don't think this is a game that I would show off as a VR demo, and I don't see it being something that any casual or the gamers against VR group would find enjoyable. If they make the arms feel more natural, fix movement, and interaction, then Icould see it being enjoyable, but as it stands right now I would give this a 5.5/10.

Now, getting back to the importance of VR in games going forward. I couldn't agree more with some of the comments above about being in the world, and having expereinces, as opposed to observinbg through a window.

As I have said, when I drive around in Gran Tusimo Sport on an abdolutely beautiful track, in summer weather, and completely forget it is 02:00, completely dark, with 40mph winds, and bouncing rain, that is pure bliss.

When I am dodging, ducking, weaving, side stepping, grabbing, throwing, shooting, stabbing, in Superhot VR, I can not think of any other expereince as entertaining, and intense.

For me, Motion/Tracking and VR are of extreamly high importance for me going forward. Even in something like Spiderman or God of War, I really wish I could play them in VR, because it would offer a so much greater expereince than my 75" 4K Sony Z9D can. Going from Skyrim VR to Horizon The Frozen Wilds was an extreme case that amplified the need to play everything in VR.

I just spent my last bit of cash on GTS grabbing the 2002 Viper, the 1997 Supra, and the BB 512. I still want to grab other vehicals, but I don't want to grind through the TV expereince to earn cash when I could be using that time enjoying shaving times, or just driving around in VR.

Of course I will always be up for Super Mario World, Mario 64, Jak and Daxter, Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid, and other classics, but for new expereinces I want a VR Display, Motion Controls, Tracking Limb, and Voice Commands.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL