By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Labo-ratory: VGC OFFICIAL Labo Thread (Vehicle Kit out now)

JWeinCom said:
This is basically the Switch's killer launch app.

There was a lot of stuff that seemed weird about the Switch from day 1. There were some features that seemed thrown in just for the hell of it.

HD rumble was OK, but didn't really seem worth making a big deal over. The IR camera on the right Joycon was useless for anything but one minigame in 1-2-Switch and its function didn't seem apparent.

The Switch also didn't seem to have a killer App. 1-2-Switch seemed like a throwaway, and Breath of the Wild was obviously not developed with Switch in mind. The modular nature of the Switch seemed neat, but underutilized. The prediction of Wii like sales implied they'd be trying to somehow engage the Wii audience, but nothing in their software lineup seemed equipped for the job.

Nintendo Labo kind of brings it all together. The modular nature is key to the software. HD rumble enables the joycon to be used as a motor to move the little cardboard robots. The IR camera seems useless if you're holding it in your hands, but it makes sense if the Joycon will be in a separate enclosure. It's something that will generate buzz (positive or otherwise) and definitely reaches beyond the hardcore gaming market.

This was the idea for a killer app from day one. The launch last year was essentially a soft launch. If the Switch was announced with this from the start, it would have been immediately written off as a kids toy. Having a year that was focused almost entirely on traditional titles allowed them to build up some credibility. The Switch got a reputation as a success and was on solid ground before they debuted their wacky new concept.

Really? Killer app? I feel like I'm going crazy again. I'm mean...really? Killer app? Why are people so excited? Its cardboard. 

Is this still earth?

Around the Network

I think the price could be lower, but it is a really cool concept and it seems to be executed pretty well--at least on the physical side. Overall, I think has a lot of potential to be some good, concentrated fun. I'd certainly be interested in giving it a shot.

Really don't like it:
not comfortable to use
no durability even though your target group are young kids
games are lame: do kids really want to play on a paper keyboard or play a fishing game for more than 5 minutes
The small robot and the motorbike are at least a bit interesting
And thanks for the Premium price. The VR Robot game should cost not more than half of those 80$

curl-6 said:

Nintendo's "new play to play" with Switch.

https://labo.nintendo.com/

So, what do you guys think?

Hey, there's been some press testing, apparently, that might be relevant: https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/jan/17/nintendo-labo-cardboard-switch-models-interactive-toys

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Wow thats amazing.

Around the Network

Oh wow, that's a really creative and cool concept. I was not expecting that at all, though to be fair nobody really had any idea what to expect.

What i'm more curious about is how Kimishima thinks this will help Switch sell the 20 million units they want to sell in 2018, I guess it depends on how well they have executed the idea when it releases.

KLXVER said:
JWeinCom said:

There was a lot of stuff that seemed weird about the Switch from day 1. There were some features that seemed thrown in just for the hell of it.

HD rumble was OK, but didn't really seem worth making a big deal over. The IR camera on the right Joycon was useless for anything but one minigame in 1-2-Switch and its function didn't seem apparent.

The Switch also didn't seem to have a killer App. 1-2-Switch seemed like a throwaway, and Breath of the Wild was obviously not developed with Switch in mind. The modular nature of the Switch seemed neat, but underutilized. The prediction of Wii like sales implied they'd be trying to somehow engage the Wii audience, but nothing in their software lineup seemed equipped for the job.

Nintendo Labo kind of brings it all together. The modular nature is key to the software. HD rumble enables the joycon to be used as a motor to move the little cardboard robots. The IR camera seems useless if you're holding it in your hands, but it makes sense if the Joycon will be in a separate enclosure. It's something that will generate buzz (positive or otherwise) and definitely reaches beyond the hardcore gaming market.

This was the idea for a killer app from day one. The launch last year was essentially a soft launch. If the Switch was announced with this from the start, it would have been immediately written off as a kids toy. Having a year that was focused almost entirely on traditional titles allowed them to build up some credibility. The Switch got a reputation as a success and was on solid ground before they debuted their wacky new concept.

Really? Killer app? I feel like I'm going crazy again. I'm mean...really? Killer app? Why are people so excited? Its cardboard. 

Is this still earth?

It could be, honestly, there's no way to see how this will turn out. I can see it being a hit between families and their kids, which I think is the main target of Labo. I can see it being a tremendous flop. It's pretty hard to see if this will be succesful or not. Also, cardboard DIY toys are pretty cool xD.

KLXVER said:
JWeinCom said:

Is this still earth?

I work with kids all day.  They're going to go ape shit for this.

JWeinCom said:

Great analysis and I agree. 

It's an interesting concept that I think will have it's own little niche audience. But, I don't see this taking off or being as successful and selling as much as Splatoon, or even ARMS.