By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If GTA will be set in Europe....

Which Country

UK 23 32.39%

Germany 11 15.49%

Italy 5 7.04%

France 6 8.45%

Turkey 1 1.41%

Russia 15 21.13%

Netherlands 7 9.86%

Other 3 4.23%

Total:71
Errorist76 said:
HoloDust said:
If they're willing to break a mold a bit, Europe could be quite interesting setting - they just need to set it in Cold war era and mix something like Italian Job (original, '69) kind of crime vibe with Russian femme fatal agents and Bond-esque over the top imaginary secret tech...Paris, Rome, Nice, Swiss Alps...it could be really fun.

That actually sounds amazing...for a game NOT GTA. Why don't they do more Bond like games anyway?! Anyone remember's No One Lives Forever?!

Developers, hire this guy...you're out of ideas! 

Because, unfortunately, even Bond is not proper Bond anymore - everything has to be so serious, gritty and real these days, instead of silly and over the top fun.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Errorist76 said:

That actually sounds amazing...for a game NOT GTA. Why don't they do more Bond like games anyway?! Anyone remember's No One Lives Forever?!

Because, unfortunately, even Bond is not proper Bond anymore - everything has to be so serious, gritty and real these days, instead of silly and over the top fun.

That's a sad truth...at least mostly. Movies like Kingsman make up for it in a way, but still.

Insanely funny and politically incorrect and over the top movies like Naked Gun would never happen today. Too much fear of a backlash...Sad world.

Errorist76 said:
HoloDust said:

That's a sad truth...at least mostly. Movies like Kingsman make up for it in a way, but still.

Insanely funny and politically incorrect and over the top movies like Naked Gun would never happen today. Too much fear of a backlash...Sad world.

It would be really great if bigwigs finally agreed who owns rights to NLFO - Kate Archer would be perfect for GTA-esque Europe adventure, especially if they kept witty writing and her personality form first 2 games.

HoloDust said:
Errorist76 said:

Yes, my feeling exactly. I was recently watching Big Trouble in Little China. Because I hadn't seen it before, and I wanted to know if my feeling that the 80s movies were more fun is based in reality or just my imagination through rosy colored retro-goggles. And I found with Big Trouble again this mixture from silly and serious. The feeling the crew had as much fun shooting the movie as I had watching it.

I don't wanna say todays Hollywood-movies are bad. They are indeed mostly good. But not exceptional and not this mixture of goodness. They feel like a ... product. A well thought-through product with no wrinkles, but also with no experimental fun or risks.

By the way, I feel current chinese cinema captures this 80s feel: Monster Hunt, Journey to the West (from Stephen Chow) or Mojin. Especially Mojin gave me some serious Indiana Jones vibes. But it maybe me only.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

AlfredoTurkey said:
A little known fact... the 3D GTA games have always been a way to knock the US and its society. Most people don't know that. So I'd be shocked if it were set in another country.

I was thinking the same thing. GTA stuff just doesn't feel as natural in other countries 

Around the Network

I think either Italy or Russia would suit GTA the most, due to a lot of characters being from those nationalities in many of the games.

But a lot of GTA's character revolves around it being a parody of american culture, I'm not sure what it'd be like elsewhere.

OdinHades said:
Frankfurt, Germany. Most beautiful city in europe.

But honestly I really don't care too much where GTA takes place.

Really? I wouldn't even put it in the top 20. A modern city centre with no personality that clashes with the old surrounding areas. It doesn't even look particularly German with 80% of it rebuilt after the war.

Take a look at places like Bergen- Norway Ptuj -Slovenia, Venice?

Wouldn't work in Europe, forcing GTA type stuff into a European city would just feel silly, because you know there's no way.

Still, I'd get a GTA Netherlands just for the novelty.

Dallinor said:
OdinHades said:
Frankfurt, Germany. Most beautiful city in europe.

But honestly I really don't care too much where GTA takes place.

Really? I wouldn't even put it in the top 20. A modern city centre with no personality that clashes with the old surrounding areas. It doesn't even look particularly German with 80% of it rebuilt after the war.

Take a look at places like Bergen- Norway Ptuj -Slovenia, Venice?

He was clearly joking/being sarcastic.

Moscow is the obvious answer, St Petersburg also.

Maybe Krakow or Prague or even montreal.