By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So the xbox one sold better in 2017 than in any other year.

Your thoughts?

Not surprising. Bound to ... 14 31.11%

Great comeback for the xbox! 8 17.78%

Still not that great to be honest 20 44.44%

See results 3 6.67%

Total:45

Imagine if Microsft hadn't cut back on first party studios/software.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
well if i remember correctly every quarter so far this year MS has said xbox console sales were down. so i doubt this year will be the peak.

Hardware revenue is definitely down (up until X launch), but that doesn't necessarily mean that hardware sales were down in all of these quarters.

There is just too much evidence suggesting that the Xbox One is overtracked. The most telling is that it is down in NPD. We would need some extraordinary explanation as to why Xbox is down in the US but up everywhere else. In reference to the EA numbers we know that they are accurate because someone from Microsoft let loose that the Xbox One was at 26 million last January so there what we really need is a better model for tracking Xbox numbers. Just keep in mind that the USA is their biggest market and go from there.

2017 was a beast for gaming. Probably coming off all that 2016 tension in other areas. People tend to look toward entertainment in times of relaxation and away in periods of stress. Good timing for everything this year.

Regardless if it's Xbone's peak year or not, I'm surprised it's selling as much as it has given the competition.

I'd say it was a good year for Xbox

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

"those are the estimate i have for XB1, comes from analyst, and company like Ubisoft and EA. Keep in mind ONLY 2013 is official, all others may not be accurate, but are the best estimate we got." - Ryng Manuel Tolu (resetera)

2013 - 3 million
2014 - 7.5 million
2015 - 8.6 million
2016 - 8.5 million

"I think 2017 numbers are in the 2014 range or most likely a bit worse." - Ryng Manuel Tolu (resetera)

So another ~7-7.5m in 2017.

Giveing us a (max) total of :
2013 - 3 million
2014 - 7.5 million
2015 - 8.6 million
2016 - 8.5 million
2017 - 7.5 million
= 35.1m    Xbox One's sold by end of 2017

VGCz is at 35,8m by dec16th...... its probably 1.8-2m atleast overtracked.

You don't need to quote my post from ERA if i'm here :P

As i said, those are the estimate i got from all the annunce/estimate that analyst and company did, since they are not from Microsoft and since there are different estimate for some years, we should use those estimate with the awareness that they probabily aren't 100% correct, but they are almost certainly not much off.

For 2017, we haven't estimate yet. I think that XB1 2017 sales should be lower than 2014 by a tiny margin, because US is most likely less than 2014, if my Prediction for December NPD is correct it will be around 200k less than in 2014, and i can see around 100k down in the rest of the world , so my actual prediction for 2017 is 7.2 million, which mean i believe XB1 sales right now are 34.8 million. But, like i said, we have absolutely nothing about XB1 2017 sales aoutside of US so far, so is soon to say what are the 2017 effective numbers.

I bet that in any case they'll be under 8 million anyway, but they could be higher than 2014 for what we know. Anything between 7 and 8 million is likely for XB1 last year, imo.

CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:
Because Xbox released tons on exclusive games in 2017.. oh wait it didnt.
This cant be right. A system cannot sell without exclusives. I call blasphemy

I get what you're going for here, but I don't recall anyone saying this. Also, using that same thinking, a batch of solid exclusives probably would have yielded even better results than this. 

I don't disagree. However its also not the end of the world like many make it out to be either. 

JRPGfan said:

"those are the estimate i have for XB1, comes from analyst, and company like Ubisoft and EA. Keep in mind ONLY 2013 is official, all others may not be accurate, but are the best estimate we got." - Ryng Manuel Tolu (resetera)

2013 - 3 million
2014 - 7.5 million
2015 - 8.6 million
2016 - 8.5 million

"I think 2017 numbers are in the 2014 range or most likely a bit worse." - Ryng Manuel Tolu (resetera)

So another ~7-7.5m in 2017.

Giveing us a (max) total of :
2013 - 3 million
2014 - 7.5 million
2015 - 8.6 million
2016 - 8.5 million
2017 - 7.5 million
= 35.1m    Xbox One's sold by end of 2017

VGCz is at 35,8m by dec16th...... its probably 1.8-2m atleast overtracked.

Ok I'm confused. Why are this guy's estimates more trustworthy than VGchartz's?

Anf if his estimates indeed are that much trustworthy, then why haven't VGchartz updated its numbers for the past years?

RolStoppable said:
chakkra said:

Ok I'm confused. Why are this guy's estimates more trustworthy than VGchartz's?

Anf if his estimates indeed are that much trustworthy, then why haven't VGchartz updated its numbers for the past years?

The guy posts on ResetEra. Instant boost to credibility.

I wish we had such guys here.

Well maybe a few people on this site who have a... "colourful" way of responding to individuals should be dealt with to accomplish this...

I'm just trying to be a Rol troll and kid around, please don't ban me...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

It must have made a comeback in the holiday season, as the system heavily starved of titles in the first half of the year. I mean, there was literally nothing. The second half was pretty strong, E3 definitely was a good comeback for them, but I'd be lying if I'd say it'd last.