Forums - Sales Discussion - So the xbox one sold better in 2017 than in any other year.

Your thoughts?

Not surprising. Bound to ... 14 31.11%
 
Great comeback for the xbox! 8 17.78%
 
Still not that great to be honest 20 44.44%
 
See results 3 6.67%
 
Total:45
NawaiNey said:
VGC overtracks XB1 by quite a bit.
When EA accidentally revealed the actual figures last time by stating that PS4+XB1 have sold 79 million units:
https://www.gamebreakingnews.net/2017/05/ps4-and-xbox-one-combined-will-reach-105-million-units-sold-in-2017-according-to-electronic-arts/
At the same time Sony had revealed that PS4 had sold through 53.4 million units: https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/01/05/the-ps4-has-now-sold-53-4-million-units-worldwide-with-6-2-million-sales-over-the-2016-holidays/#756123e7b415

Meaning XB1 at the end of 2016 had sold 79-53.4=25.6 million units. At the end of 2016 VGC has XB1 at 27.9 million!
So even if VGC tracked XB1 properly this year it's still over tracked by 2.3 million, but most likely it's over by a good 3-4 million over tracked.

Without the official numbers, VGC will probably never be able to correct the numbers and the error will just accumulate over time.



Around the Network

well if i remember correctly every quarter so far this year MS has said xbox console sales were down. so i doubt this year will be the peak.



On ResetEra they where talking about Xbox doing around 7m-7.5m this year......

It might be overtracked abit on VGCz.



barneystinson69 said:

As of December 16th, the Xbox one is at 8 million year to date. With 2 weeks left to go in the holiday season, and assuming it can sell similarly to how it has in previous years at this point, it'll probably just miss 9 million yearly sales (probably by little more than 100k). This would top off the 2016 record of 8.3 million, which would make it the best selling year for the Xbox one. Considering the slump that the console faced throughout most of the year, it is great to see a rebound and maybe even reach its peak year (though maybe it could top 9 million next year if we see a price cut to 199 perminantely).

 

bananaking21 said:
well if i remember correctly every quarter so far this year MS has said xbox console sales were down. so i doubt this year will be the peak.

One of you has to be right.... The other cant be.



Everything points that it might be overtrack here. But yeah,the launch of the Xbox One X really did wonders for the console,it looks like it did a really nice holiday. Next NPD should be interesting.



Around the Network

I think it’s overtracked by a lot this year. That European performance is also questionable as Xbox One definetpy did not do close to Switch numbers. We have software charts that indicate the complete opposite. PS4>Switch>>Xbox One



Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

If it is indeed down YoY according to NPD so far, then surely it has to be down worldwide as well. USA is most likely its strongest market by quite a bit.

NawaiNey said:
VGC overtracks XB1 by quite a bit.
When EA accidentally revealed the actual figures last time by stating that PS4+XB1 have sold 79 million units:
https://www.gamebreakingnews.net/2017/05/ps4-and-xbox-one-combined-will-reach-105-million-units-sold-in-2017-according-to-electronic-arts/
At the same time Sony had revealed that PS4 had sold through 53.4 million units: https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/01/05/the-ps4-has-now-sold-53-4-million-units-worldwide-with-6-2-million-sales-over-the-2016-holidays/#756123e7b415

Meaning XB1 at the end of 2016 had sold 79-53.4=25.6 million units. At the end of 2016 VGC has XB1 at 27.9 million!
So even if VGC tracked XB1 properly this year it's still over tracked by 2.3 million, but most likely it's over by a good 3-4 million over tracked.

I remember this, but I don't know if VGC adjusted the numbers down for XBO after that bit of news appeared.

Last edited by Hiku - on 09 January 2018

"those are the estimate i have for XB1, comes from analyst, and company like Ubisoft and EA. Keep in mind ONLY 2013 is official, all others may not be accurate, but are the best estimate we got." - Ryng Manuel Tolu (resetera)

2013 - 3 million
2014 - 7.5 million
2015 - 8.6 million
2016 - 8.5 million

"I think 2017 numbers are in the 2014 range or most likely a bit worse." - Ryng Manuel Tolu (resetera)

So another ~7-7.5m in 2017.

Giveing us a (max) total of :
2013 - 3 million
2014 - 7.5 million
2015 - 8.6 million
2016 - 8.5 million
2017 - 7.5 million
= 35.1m    Xbox One's sold by end of 2017

 

VGCz is at 35,8m by dec16th...... its probably 1.8-2m atleast overtracked.



Hiku said:

If it is indeed down YoY according to NPD so far, then surely it has to be down worldwide as well. USA is most likely its strongest market by quite a bit.

NawaiNey said:
VGC overtracks XB1 by quite a bit.
When EA accidentally revealed the actual figures last time by stating that PS4+XB1 have sold 79 million units:
https://www.gamebreakingnews.net/2017/05/ps4-and-xbox-one-combined-will-reach-105-million-units-sold-in-2017-according-to-electronic-arts/
At the same time Sony had revealed that PS4 had sold through 53.4 million units: https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/01/05/the-ps4-has-now-sold-53-4-million-units-worldwide-with-6-2-million-sales-over-the-2016-holidays/#756123e7b415

Meaning XB1 at the end of 2016 had sold 79-53.4=25.6 million units. At the end of 2016 VGC has XB1 at 27.9 million!
So even if VGC tracked XB1 properly this year it's still over tracked by 2.3 million, but most likely it's over by a good 3-4 million over tracked.

I remember this, but I don't know if VGC adjusted the numbers down for XBO after that bit of news appeared.

Dont think they did, it still appears overtracked (imo).



So the best Xbox year, is the one where they never win an NPD?
That has got to feel awkward. Specially after the year where they won 4.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)