By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - On a ten point review scale, what number should represent an average game?

What number should represent average on a ten point scale?

3 0 0%

4 2 1.63%

5 58 47.15%

6 38 30.89%

7 24 19.51%

8 1 0.81%

Total:123
ArchangelMadzz said:
It should be 5.

It's not 5, but it should be.

1. Did they even try?
2. This is painful
3. mediocre
4. below average
5. nothing special but an okay time
6. pretty good, above average
7. great game had a great time
8. A must buy
9. Amazing, goty contender
10. I can't think of how this game could be any better, truly a staple of the generation.

Yes, I agree with this scale.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

On a ten point review scale, what number do you think should represent an average game? 

I'm one of the people that thinks 7/10 should be average. I have a few arguments for this...

1. If you go on Metacritic and click on a publication's profile you can see the mathematical average of all review scores put out by that publication. You'll almost always see numbers hovering around the 6.5 to 7.5 range for just about any video game publication on the site. Even sites like Destructoid that go out of their way to say that "average starts at 5" have their average review score listed around the 6.5 to 7.5 range. Even if they officially say that average should be at 5, in practice they agree that it is 7. 

Now someone might want to counter this argument by saying that there are two meanings of the word average. There's mathematical average, and then there's average as in Okay, Decent, Middle of the Road. But the secondary meaning of average given here is colloquial, and has it's roots in an uneducated understanding of the mathematical term. In the same way that the dictionary now defines "bite" as a wound caused by creature's mouth or stinger, the dictionary now defines average as a synonym for Okay, Decent, etc. Using the colloquial definition of a term is unprofessional, and professional reviewers shouldn't do it, in this case. 

2. Using 5 to represent average, turns your site's reviews into a liability for the metacritic average. For example let's say that www.videogamereviewerguy.com insists that 5/10 is average, because it is a nice middle number. He then proceeds to give two games that he considers to be good scores of 6/10. But the vast majority of reviewers on metacritic are using the "7/10 means average" rule. Even though he really liked both games he winds up being listed as the "most critical" review on Metacritic, and just by posting his review, the metascore drops a few points. I call this the "5/10 means average" kiss of death. 

3. Average is not always the middle number out of a range of numbers. For example; the heaviest person to ever live was 975 lbs. One of the lightest people to ever live weighed 32 lbs. So should we find the exact middle number between these two extremes, and call that average? Nobody in their right mind would call 503 lbs an average human bodyweight, whether using the literal meaning of the word, or the colloquial meaning. But that's the middle number between 32, and 975. 

So I don't think it makes sense to say that "5 is the middle number between 1 and 10, therefore 5 should be used as average". 

But at the same time I also kind of see the arguments in favor of some number other than 7 being average. Here's what I've heard in favor of this...

1. Youtuber Arlo does his reviews on a 7 point scale. This is because he doesn't think a game needs any more descriptors than very bad, bad, average, good, great, excellent, and GOTY! I agree with this, and I think his 7 point scale is way better than the 10 point scale the industry currently uses. But 3/7 = 42/100 on metacritic's scale! And that throws a wrench into my 7/10 should be average position. 

2. A lot of sites use a 5 star system, like movie reviewers with no room for half points. Games that are just okay wind up getting 3/5 stars under this system, which makes a lot of sense to me. I mean, on a scale with no room for half a star, three stars very much conveys "average". But that would put 6/10 as the average! Nooooooooooo! 

So anyway, what score do you think an average game should get? 

I'll tell you what, a 10 point scale is a terrible way to represent artistic value, in the first place. Use a normal distribution centred at 0.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

ArchangelMadzz said:
It should be 5.

1. Did they even try?
2. This is painful
3. mediocre
4. below average
8. A must buy
10. I can't think of how this game could be any better, truly a staple of the generation.

How is "mediocre" worse than "below average"?  

I say 6.  Because there are so many factors and expectations in the production of a video game that far more possibilities exist on the low-end of the scale.  I believe there is an industry-wide implied metric of "if a game is playable."  Does it function in an engaging way, does the menu do what is expected, does the gameplay do what the devs intended, are the levels fleshed out, does it run well on the hardware it is intended, is it consistent throughout the course of the game, and thus does it warrant a purchase consideration.  Average or not, if it doesn't meet all the aspects that would fit into that criteria, then it should be below average.  Once a game meets those, then and only then can it be determined to be and weighed on being average or perhaps more.  Everyone knows to stay away from games that are less than 6, or even 7, or even 8, because of the varying opinions surrounding these reasons.

1. One of the worst games of all time (0-29)
2. Terrible (30-39)
3. Bad (40-49)
4. Mmmm, nope, try to avoid it, unless you're a fan and is a super niche game that you like (Pokemon Dungeon?) (50-64)
5. Average (65-70)
6. Ok (71-75)
7. Good (76-84)
8. Very Good (85-94)
9. Excellent (95-99)
10. No Game Should be Here, but since you have to use it, then games that change everything or all time classics could be here. (OoT?)

Around the Network
pokoko said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
It should be 5.

1. Did they even try?
2. This is painful
3. mediocre
4. below average
8. A must buy

How is "mediocre" worse than "below average"?  

That's the way I see the word 'mediocre' as negative. But if it would help replace that with 'bad' I think I prefer that anyway now you point it out.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

If the game is completely average you rate it a 9, that way you don't really have to go about justifying your position because people don't care about the game or a 9 rating for it.

If it's completely terrible you give it an 8 but leave the review open just in case fans of the franchise threaten to ddos your site over it.

Everything else just gets a 10 because tweets to kys hurt

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

6 should be average, just like grades in school

Using school grades a 5 should represent a less than mediocre game, a 6 is average and usually enough to pass for a barging bin title, (barely). A 7 is a decent grade, nothing special but solid. An 8 should represent a solid, fun and good game. A 9 should represent a very well executed game which should be fun, immersive, impressive and somewhat unique. A 10 should be reserved for games that define their generation and have little to no (technical) flaws.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Technically 5 is average but I don't follow the rule because if you have 10 games that are 8/10, while 1 game that is an 6/10 I would call it below average secondly it also depends on the subcategories. Story in games almost don't matter for me so a game like DQ II heroes/PUBG may have a 1/10 on story but they are fun in gameplay and I would score them a 9/10 in 'the fun' subcategory.