By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox's lack of compelling games won't be fixed in 2018 [Endgadget]

I could be wrong but i feel they are holding back,  like Nintendo did with the Wii U. I mean they are focusing all their ressources to face the Ps5. 

Around the Network

2017 wasn't a good year even though I enjoyed The games they released but 2018 is looking very interesting already.

JRPGfan said:
flashfire926 said:

While you are right about ps4 having way more compelling  exclusives coming up, last of us isn't coming in 2018.

Also,  like half of those are niche Japanese games solely including to boost the argument in list wars, nothing else.

In other words, If we put those niche games on the Xbox side, PS4 will still win by a clean margin.

Alot of sites have it listed as 2018, but I guess your right it could also be a 2019 release.

How much do these games have to sell before they start to matter to people?  Ignoreing something cuz its too "niche" doesnt seem fair.

Dragon Quest XI.... pretty sure this goes over 6m.

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom is gonna do 2m+ easily (first game did around 2m, this is gonna be bigger).

Yakuza 5 sold ~1m+,  Yakuza 6 (jp only so far) is at ~400k+ and also likely a 1m+ game.

Shadow of the Colossus remake & Secret of Mana Remake, I could also see both do 1m+.

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time,  Fist Of The North Star, The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia... ect should all do in the 500k range. They have anime's people enjoy as their base, and that should help them sell. This is like a DBZ game or One Peice game, just because their based on a anime doesnt mean no one wants to play them.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Uh, sales of those games are what give them the niche status, not Xbox users, lol. If Dokki Dokki Jujitsui Xtreme XYZ sells 5 million copies then it’s not niche, not matter how many Xboners say it is. Also, what some people on the internets say about some games has zero relevance to companies making those games. Otherwise Call of Duty would have been scrapped a decade ago.

People called Persona 5 "niche" and thats sold like 2.1m now.

Ni No Kuni, Yakuza, Dragon Quest, are on that list above, and was called "niche" even if their all going to be 1m+ titles.

A double standard.

Most  Xbox One exclusives sold around 1million .

They never learn. 

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 01 January 2018

This is an odd issue I have been having with Microsoft as of late. They have been make hardware that I have found the be very attractive but the software is lacking and this related to Xbox but also to other products like Surface and Windows Phone/Mobile (well at least before they gave up on Windows Phone/Mobile that is), which is really odd considering MS is a software company first.

With regards to Xbox specifically, I picked up an Xbox One back in Holiday of 2014, when there was lots promise. I recall Fable Legends, the hints of a new Banjo game, and Scalebound announcement all getting me excited. Nothing materialized from that. Before I go further I should mention that I am mostly a portable gamer (my main gaming platform was 3DS/Vita and now Switch) and I play most stationary third-party games on a PC; so my experience may not translate to everyone. Thus, for me the reason why I bought Xbox One over a PS4 back then purely had to do with the exclusives that were announced. Suffice to say that the PS4 for me replaced my Xbox One when the Xbox One's exclusive library did not really materialize and the PS4 ended up being the stationary home console platform with the most exclusives and also the platform with, at least IMO, the best VR content. As of 2018, I own every hardware platform (portable and stationary; 3DS, Vita, XONE, PS4, Switch, PC) from the big 3 (as a portable gamer Switch is right now my choice system but I continue to game heavily on PC and PS4 as well), and outside of Sunset Overdrive (which was excellent, I might add) I have not really had a reason to turn the Xbox One on. In fact, as of right now, it is my least used console of not only this generation but any generation.

I actually really like the Xbox One hardware and OS, and so I would love to jump in and play the system if MS released some exclusives for it. As of right now, however, with MS Play Anywhere (which brings many of the few Xbox exclusives to PC), I feel like Xbox One may be the last Xbox I purchase. Going forward I can see Nintendo providing my portable hardware and exclusive Nintendo games for that hardware, Sony providing the VR and stationary exclusive Sony game experiences, and various PC hardwares (laptop, desktop, GPD Win) providing me with general purpose hardware for work and third-party video game experiences as well as MS games. If MS does not want to make exclusives anymore just for Xbox, one way I can see myself purchasing an Xbox again is if they bring full Windows 10 to it with a TV mode (like the Xbox One UI) but also the ability to run general purpose Windows software and OG XB/XB360 BC titles along with Windows games (including games on Steam, Origin and GOG since that is where most of PC games are); such a setup would easily replace my desktop PC. Of course, that does not make much financial sense for MS since opening up the platform like that would mean they would not make the same amount of money as they do now through their store and they also do not profit off of the hardware, so I doubt it would happen.

Azzanation said:
Dont read this trash from Eurogamer. Its a sad case of fanboyism.
There hasnt been a sequal announced for there AAA 1st party titles?.. umm did he not watch E3 and see Ori 2? State of Decay 2? Crackdown 3??
Haha ok what ever gets the clicks.

Eurogamer usually are very pro-XBox. Even the biggest MS fans have every right to complain...tbh especially those should complain!

Marcusius said: 

I could be wrong but i feel they are holding back,  like Nintendo did with the Wii U. I mean they are focusing all their ressources to face the Ps5. 

First it was „they’re waiting for next E3“...now it’s „they’re waiting for next gen“?! 😑 

Around the Network

Microsoft brings these kinds of articles on themselves. They really have no idea how to handle the consumer market. They're so infuriatingly inconsistent with hardware and software support that it's really hard to defend some of what they do.

I bought an XB1 in 2016 and don't regret it, but I haven't been turning it on much. I buy my multiplats on it just as an excuse to use it now.

Errorist76 said:
Azzanation said:
Dont read this trash from Eurogamer. Its a sad case of fanboyism.
There hasnt been a sequal announced for there AAA 1st party titles?.. umm did he not watch E3 and see Ori 2? State of Decay 2? Crackdown 3??
Haha ok what ever gets the clicks.

Eurogamer usually are very pro-XBox. Even the biggest MS fans have every right to complain...tbh especially those should complain!

Endgadget. Either way , both are pro-Xbox.

Azuren said:
This is what happens when a console loses exclusives.

This is what happens when "games" isn't the main focus of a console. It's been a painful experience for MS since the launch of the original xbox one, unfortunately as can be seen by Sony's big games, it takes a long time to make tech and new games. Cory from god of war was bemoaning that both Horizon and Detroit had about 5-6 years in dev, while he had about 4 or something on a recent Sony stage thing. MS's problem is that at the end of the 360 they had already downscaled their 1st party production and when the XboxOne came along they were pretty much playing catchup. Expect better 2019/2020 imho. But unless they have the dedication that what they are doing is for the benefit of the brand then unfortunately they'll just go back to where they were.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

For those saying 2018 is looking a lot better, you do realize that its looking better is cuz those games got pushed back to that year? Crack down and state of decay where 2017 titles that dint make it, im not sure about sea of thieves. That's not really excusable I find, considering those games look mediocre at best anyways.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Microsoft just doesn't seem interested in the console business.

I LOVE ICELAND!