By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox's lack of compelling games won't be fixed in 2018 [Endgadget]

Normchacho said:
Snoopy said:

Sea of thieves
State of decay 2
Forza Horizon 3
Crack Down 3
Ori blind forest
Ashen
Possible Halo 6

All these games + best console version of multiplatform games. Not to mention all these exclusives have a lot of longevity because of multiplayer and constant updates. Unlike the sp only games that Nintendo and Sony pushes out.

1. That's still really not a very strong list. Ori and Forza Horizon (4? I assume you meant) are likely to be really good, but State of Decay and Crackdown aren't heaving hitting franchises and neither of the new games have looked very promising thus far. Sea of Thieves and Ashen are wild cards here I think, since Ashen is Aurora44's first game, and Rare hasn't made anything like Sea of Thieves before. They could be great, they could flop and we really won't know until they launch. And I don't think you see Halo 6 in 2018, Microsoft doesn't really launch games in the year they announce them and we haven't heard about Halo 6 yet.

But really it comes down to the fact that none of those are really heavy hitters except for Halo. I mean, like half of those are no more substantial than the niche Japanese games people always harp on Sony for.

2. Only a very small portion of Xbox One owners are getting the best versions of console games. In fact, the vast majority of Xbox One owners are getting the worst versions of multiplatform games.

2018 will be better than 2017 was. But it's still a really weak year.

1. Yes it is strong, because those games unlike Sony games aren't games that you can redbox and beat within a week. Those games have online and will be treated like a games as service with constant updates outside of ori and ashen, but they aren't full 60 dollars so I can forgive them. Also, Forza Horizon , Halo and State of decay (which sold over 5 million back in 2013) are well known franchises that sell very well. Games like sea of thieves is a new ip so we can't judge the sale quality just like we can't judge the sale quality of ps4 games like days gone (if it releases this year).

2. Only small portion of gamers play exclusives anyways outside a few exception. Hell, there is only 1 ps4 exclusive to sell pass 5 million on a 70 million install base. Also, I'll argue og xbox one owners get superior multiplatform games because they can always upgrade their console like how people upgrade their computers/tv. Not to mention most people think xbox has the best controller and best online. I'm not sure if Sony is going to do backwards compatibility with the PS5 since they like selling you remasters or pushing their psnow service on you. 

Sony came out and said they don't care about backwards compatibility 

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/06/06/sony-doesn-t-believe-that-backwards-compatibility-is-that-import/

Around the Network
StuOhQ said:
vivster said:
It will also not be fixed in 2019. You cannot fault them for consistency.

I love the cynicism.

I'd call it defeated realism. Xbox has disappointed me too much this generation. And does anyone really believe they'll put up the effort and money to honestly compete with PS4's exclusives?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JRPGfan said:
flashfire926 said:

While you are right about ps4 having way more compelling  exclusives coming up, last of us isn't coming in 2018.

Also,  like half of those are niche Japanese games solely including to boost the argument in list wars, nothing else.

In other words, If we put those niche games on the Xbox side, PS4 will still win by a clean margin.

Alot of sites have it listed as 2018, but I guess your right it could also be a 2019 release.

How much do these games have to sell before they start to matter to people?  Ignoreing something cuz its too "niche" doesnt seem fair.

Dragon Quest XI.... pretty sure this goes over 6m.

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom is gonna do 2m+ easily (first game did around 2m, this is gonna be bigger).

Yakuza 5 sold ~1m+,  Yakuza 6 (jp only so far) is at ~400k+ and also likely a 1m+ game.

Shadow of the Colossus remake & Secret of Mana Remake, I could also see both do 1m+.

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time,  Fist Of The North Star, The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia... ect should all do in the 500k range. They have anime's people enjoy as their base, and that should help them sell. This is like a DBZ game or One Peice game, just because their based on a anime doesnt mean no one wants to play them.

You're missing the context here. Dragon Quest pulls huge numbers, but 90% of that is japan.

It's clearly niche outside of japan.

And spoiler alert...... japan is by far the worst market for xbox. Even when they actually tried in the og  xbox and early 360 days, they never sold paticulary well, and they never made a dent in japan marketshare. 

And I'm not calling sotc niche.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
JRPGfan said:

Alot of sites have it listed as 2018, but I guess your right it could also be a 2019 release.

How much do these games have to sell before they start to matter to people?  Ignoreing something cuz its too "niche" doesnt seem fair.

Dragon Quest XI.... pretty sure this goes over 6m.

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom is gonna do 2m+ easily (first game did around 2m, this is gonna be bigger).

Yakuza 5 sold ~1m+,  Yakuza 6 (jp only so far) is at ~400k+ and also likely a 1m+ game.

Shadow of the Colossus remake & Secret of Mana Remake, I could also see both do 1m+.

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time,  Fist Of The North Star, The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia... ect should all do in the 500k range. They have anime's people enjoy as their base, and that should help them sell. This is like a DBZ game or One Peice game, just because their based on a anime doesnt mean no one wants to play them.

You're missing the context here. Dragon Quest pulls huge numbers, but 90% of that is japan.

It's clearly niche outside of japan.

And spoiler alert...... japan is by far the worst market for xbox. Even when they actually tried in the og  xbox and early 360 days, they never sold paticulary well, and they never made a dent in japan marketshare. 

And I'm not calling sotc niche.

Last Dragon Quest released outside of Japan sold 1m outside of Japan. What exactly is the bar for niche here because those are some pretty damn good sales ignoring Japan. 

Just checked and Crackdown 2 sold 1.12m including every region so is Crackdown 3 now niche and therefore should be taken out of these lists?

Last edited by Torillian - on 01 January 2018

That's a big piece of the puzzle that people either ignore or miss, these games don't sell much outside of Japan, and Xbox users for the most part don't give a crap about Japanese games. You can't miss what you don't want. I mean, I'm sure I'm missing out on a whole lot of awesome soccer by not paying for the Super Duper Xtreeeeeme Club Premiere Soccer Extravaganza my cable company provides, but if I don't give a shit about soccer, then I'm really not missing much.

MS got away fine with little Japanese stuff last gen mostly because they dominated in the US. This gen their fuck ups with Xbone helped Sony overtake them here, that's what MS is concerned about. Not missing out on some Japanese stuff.

Around the Network

Persona 5 wins Best RPG at the Game Awards 2017.

And Nier automata won game awards best music score.

Snoopy said:
Normchacho said:

1. That's still really not a very strong list. Ori and Forza Horizon (4? I assume you meant) are likely to be really good, but State of Decay and Crackdown aren't heaving hitting franchises and neither of the new games have looked very promising thus far. Sea of Thieves and Ashen are wild cards here I think, since Ashen is Aurora44's first game, and Rare hasn't made anything like Sea of Thieves before. They could be great, they could flop and we really won't know until they launch. And I don't think you see Halo 6 in 2018, Microsoft doesn't really launch games in the year they announce them and we haven't heard about Halo 6 yet.

But really it comes down to the fact that none of those are really heavy hitters except for Halo. I mean, like half of those are no more substantial than the niche Japanese games people always harp on Sony for.

2. Only a very small portion of Xbox One owners are getting the best versions of console games. In fact, the vast majority of Xbox One owners are getting the worst versions of multiplatform games.

2018 will be better than 2017 was. But it's still a really weak year.

1. Yes it is strong, because those games unlike Sony games aren't games that you can redbox and beat within a week. Those games have online and will be treated like a games as service with constant updates outside of ori and ashen, but they aren't full 60 dollars so I can forgive them. Also, Forza Horizon , Halo and State of decay (which sold over 5 million back in 2013) are well known franchises that sell very well. Games like sea of thieves is a new ip so we can't judge the sale quality just like we can't judge the sale quality of ps4 games like days gone (if it releases this year).

2. Only small portion of gamers play exclusives anyways outside a few exception. Hell, there is only 1 ps4 exclusive to sell pass 5 million on a 70 million install base. Also, I'll argue og xbox one owners get superior multiplatform games because they can always upgrade their console like how people upgrade their computers/tv. Not to mention most people think xbox has the best controller and best online. I'm not sure if Sony is going to do backwards compatibility with the PS5 since they like selling you remasters or pushing their psnow service on you. 

Sony came out and said they don't care about backwards compatibility 

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/06/06/sony-doesn-t-believe-that-backwards-compatibility-is-that-import/

1. That list is 6 games long. 2 of them are indies, 1 is an unknown quantity, 1 is from a franchise that hasn't had much critical or commercial success, 1 is a sequel to a game that sold pretty well (2 million units, no idea where you got 5) and then there's Forza Horizon 4 which is the only properly big game on that list. There's little chance that lineup with generate much buzz or have any significant effect on console sales.

2. Uh no. I have an Xbox One S, if I buy a multiplatform game for it I'm likely getting the worst version of that game. I'd have to literally buy a different console to get the best version. And most of who thinks the Xbox has the best controller and online? Not that either of those, or backwards compatibility have anything to do with the conversation at hand.

Mind you, I'm not making a comparison to Sony. On it's own this years line up of Xbox One exclusives is weak.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Xbox fanbase mainly cares about the big Western multiplats.

They want Madden, Battlefield, Calladooty, GTA, FIFA, etc. And with XBox One X they likely will be getting the best versions of these games from here on out until this gen ends. They don't care about some weird Japanese exclusive. Most of these Japanese exclusives that are sooooo important according to this board don't even sell well in Japan, lol. Japan gives zero fucks about Street Fighter V, Ni No Kuni is not some huge franchise there, Tekken has been over in Japan for a decade, Last Guardian was no big hit in Japan, etc. etc. Let alone the West. 

Microsoft's best play for the rest of the gen is to hammer over and over and over again on Sony that they now have the best versions of the big Western games ... games that actually sell 5/6/7/8/9/10 million copies. 

I like Japanese game but unless it's a Nintendo game or Final Fantasy/Monster Hunter/Resident Evil ... it's small potaotes in the West. Lets be honest, and even MH is a niche franchise outside of Japan and not a huge impact maker on home consoles (never has been even on PS2 and Wii). Resident Evil is on major decline too. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 01 January 2018

Soundwave said:

Xbox fanbase mainly cares about the big Western multiplats.

They want Madden, Battlefield, Calladooty, GTA, FIFA, etc. And with XBox One X they likely will be getting the best versions of these games from here on out until this gen ends. They don't care about some weird Japanese exclusive. Most of these Japanese exclusives that are sooooo important according to this board don't even sell well in Japan, lol. Japan gives zero fucks about Street Fighter V, Ni No Kuni is not some huge franchise there, Tekken has been over in Japan for a decade, Last Guardian was no big hit in Japan, etc. etc. Let alone the West. 

Microsoft's best play for the rest of the gen is to hammer over and over and over again on Sony that they now have the best versions of the big Western games ... games that actually sell 5/6/7/8/9/10 million copies. 

I like Japanese game but unless it's a Nintendo game or Final Fantasy/Monster Hunter/Resident Evil ... it's small potaotes in the West. Lets be honest, and even MH is a niche franchise outside of Japan and not a huge impact maker on home consoles (never has been even on PS2 and Wii). Resident Evil is on major decline too. 

Street fighter is past 2m, Ni No Kuni did around ~2m,..... Tekken is already past 3m (in less than 6months),....

So games only matter if they do over 5m?... ooooooookay then.

"Resident Evil is on major decline too."

If you add up what all the differnt versions around/between mainline's is something like:

RE1 = 5.3m
RE2 = 6.1m
RE3 = 3.5m
RE4 = 7.5m
RE5 = 10.6m
RE6 = 8.2m
RE7 = 4.1m+ (still selling)

s: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Resident_Evil

Series seems fine,  4,5 & 6 where high points, and we dont really know if 7 will be down that much yet.

They ll probably do a Gold edition / directors cut, or something and sell a few million more of it.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 01 January 2018