By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox's lack of compelling games won't be fixed in 2018 [Endgadget]

Normchacho said:
Snoopy said:

1. Yes it is strong, because those games unlike Sony games aren't games that you can redbox and beat within a week. Those games have online and will be treated like a games as service with constant updates outside of ori and ashen, but they aren't full 60 dollars so I can forgive them. Also, Forza Horizon , Halo and State of decay (which sold over 5 million back in 2013) are well known franchises that sell very well. Games like sea of thieves is a new ip so we can't judge the sale quality just like we can't judge the sale quality of ps4 games like days gone (if it releases this year).

2. Only small portion of gamers play exclusives anyways outside a few exception. Hell, there is only 1 ps4 exclusive to sell pass 5 million on a 70 million install base. Also, I'll argue og xbox one owners get superior multiplatform games because they can always upgrade their console like how people upgrade their computers/tv. Not to mention most people think xbox has the best controller and best online. I'm not sure if Sony is going to do backwards compatibility with the PS5 since they like selling you remasters or pushing their psnow service on you. 

Sony came out and said they don't care about backwards compatibility 

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/06/06/sony-doesn-t-believe-that-backwards-compatibility-is-that-import/

1. That list is 6 games long. 2 of them are indies, 1 is an unknown quantity, 1 is from a franchise that hasn't had much critical or commercial success, 1 is a sequel to a game that sold pretty well (2 million units, no idea where you got 5) and then there's Forza Horizon 4 which is the only properly big game on that list. There's little chance that lineup with generate much buzz or have any significant effect on console sales.

2. Uh no. I have an Xbox One S, if I buy a multiplatform game for it I'm likely getting the worst version of that game. I'd have to literally buy a different console to get the best version. And most of who thinks the Xbox has the best controller and online? Not that either of those, or backwards compatibility have anything to do with the conversation at hand.

Mind you, I'm not making a comparison to Sony. On it's own this years line up of Xbox One exclusives is weak.

1. Yes, and all those games have longevity outside the indies, but they are cheaper.  Games that have a lot of updates,online,ect can keep most people occupy longer than a 60 dollar single player only game like RE7, Evil within 2. The exception is rpgs like the Witcher 3 (god that game is ridiculously huge). Look at steam community, psn and xbl. They are still playing over watch,minecraft, counter strike, rocket league, the older cods/bf games and more.  Not only that, but most gamers aren't buying more than 5 new games a year for their console and if they do multiplatform games are going to take up majority of it.

2. You have the xbox version so if you ever choose to upgrade console your games are still there and they get a boost in graphics, textures, ect. Hell quite a few 360 games are starting to look better (especially the older assassin's creed games and besetheda games). I don't know if Sony is going to follow suit and make their console backwards compatability. Also, the reason why I think most people think xbox has better controller is because Nintendo, Oyua and most third party manufactures copy it (at least in my experience).  Plus, I know most people don't have it, but that elite controller is so awesome and unbelievable.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Azzanation said:

Do you even play the games instead of just throwing out sentences that do nothing but be little things.

State of Decay was a great game for the 360 and so was Crackdown 1 (Iffy about Crackdown 2) so how does this lead to MS amassing a mountain of less than desirable IPs? They earnt sequels so guess there goes your theory in a nut shell. Start playing games with good gameplay instead of focusing on the visual appeal and you might start enjoying these games more.

Heck Zelda blew me out of the park and it looks like nothing compared to what's out there. Hint for State of Decay 2.

I also like how you completely ignored Ori 2 in this conversation, is that another undesirable IP under MS's belt?

Little things? Perhaps little things to you, but in the end game of it all, most of the things i've critiqued, Phil Spencer has already addressed and it working on fixing next gen.

State of Decay and Crackdown are two mid tier franchises that Microsoft needs to keep around until their sales drop off the face of the earth. Crackdown better sell, because if it doesn't Microsoft will drop it.

I have not completely ignored Ori 2, but Ori 2 is an indie game. That will not draw people to the console. Microsoft's major issue is that they have not created one desirable new IP that drives console gamers to their console this whole gen. 

Both Sony and Nintendo release mid tier games all the time, why is it a not a good thing for MS? 

Making a new IP is always a gamble, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Success isn't always guaranteed. Go ask Sony how many successful IPs turned a profit for them, last gen 4 out of 10 actually turned a profit.  

https://www.dualshockers.com/shuhei-yoshida-only-four-out-of-ten-playstation-games-make-money-but-sony-will-always-support-talent/

You have ignored Ori 2. And now your answer is its a Indie game? Its a 1st party IP which seems to have a bigger budget for its sequel. I highlighted your comment in Bold and it confuses me. You claim they haven't made a desirable IP yet Ori 2 is a desirable IP plus you have Sea of Thieves due in 3 months, that's 2 new IPs coming out in 2018 (One being a Sequel of a New IP)

FIRST PARTY IPs 2018

Sea of Thieves (MMO RPG)

Ori Will of the Wisp (Metoid Vania Platformer)

State of Decay 2 (Zombie Survival Horror)

Crackdown 3 (Openworld Action)

Two are Fresh IPs and Two are old revisited IPs which all offer a different variety of gameplay from each other that you cant get on any other console. That's 4 big games from MS for 2018 not including 3rd party deals and Indie games on top of the prospect Halo 6 and Horizon 4 could possibly be 2018 titles and maybe Remedy's Alan Wake 2 to drive console sales (I am calling it this year). I hate list wars however if I was a sole Console gamer I would be happy with 4 major exclusive in 1 year.

So I don't get you, those games mentioned in the list don't count because there not State of the Art Visuals? Because they opted for Gameplay over graphics? Is that why they don't interest you? 

Lets wait and see what Xbox announces for 2018 E3 now that they got there Hardware launch out the way.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 01 January 2018

LuzerkBR said:
2017 wasn't good at all for Xbox, however 2018 seems to be filled with a good quantity of games.
My favorite one is by far Ori since the first one got me very emotional. Also FH4 will probably be awesome just like it's predecessors, Sea of Thieves looks fun but it's not my type of game and Crackdown 3 seems to be getting some attention from a couple of fans, but it also isn't my type. And I'm dreaming with a Sunset Overdrive 2 announcement at Xbox E3, but maybe it will only stay in my dreams for now (although I wish it wouldn't).
And btw, I honestly can't understand some of the game lists people are doing, I mean, I read some of them and I think "I don't know even half of the games at this list".

2018 is a step up from 2017, a massive step-up actually. (If everything works out as intended.)
But I wouldn't say the quantity is "good". - The quantity of 2018 should be the minimum of any given year.

I am keen to see what they do with Age of Empires on Xbox though to be honest.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
LuzerkBR said:
2017 wasn't good at all for Xbox, however 2018 seems to be filled with a good quantity of games.
My favorite one is by far Ori since the first one got me very emotional. Also FH4 will probably be awesome just like it's predecessors, Sea of Thieves looks fun but it's not my type of game and Crackdown 3 seems to be getting some attention from a couple of fans, but it also isn't my type. And I'm dreaming with a Sunset Overdrive 2 announcement at Xbox E3, but maybe it will only stay in my dreams for now (although I wish it wouldn't).
And btw, I honestly can't understand some of the game lists people are doing, I mean, I read some of them and I think "I don't know even half of the games at this list".

2018 is a step up from 2017, a massive step-up actually. (If everything works out as intended.)
But I wouldn't say the quantity is "good". - The quantity of 2018 should be the minimum of any given year.

I am keen to see what they do with Age of Empires on Xbox though to be honest.

Yeah dude, I agree with you about the quantity for 2018 being the minimum, but I meant that it is "good" when compared to 2017 lol

I'm also interested in AoE and Black Desert Online. Curious to see them on Xbox.

Engadget is telling the truth. Microsoft just doesn't get it this console generation... They did get a few things right though after Don Matricks DISASTEROUS product campaign for the Xbox One. They released an Elite Controller, got rid of the useless Kinect, and they're "Games with Gold" perk is almost as good as PlayStation Plus' free games. However, they're still doing a lot shit wrong... The dashboard OS is still an utter mess, their exclusive library is almost non existent apart from Forza and Halo, the Xbox One X had a lukewarm launch, (they didn't sell out even on the day of release) and their corporate advertising team are a bunch of shills (I'm looking at you Major Nelson)

Around the Network

Xbox is fine. They have halo and gears plus some multiplat games like COD and madden. That’s enough for them. Sure they’ll probably sell roughly half what the 360 sold but that’s still a good number. And sure Rare hasn’t made a good game in what, 20 years, but I’m sure SOT will be at least a little fun. It’s not like Xbox users are starving for games.

Azzanation said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Little things? Perhaps little things to you, but in the end game of it all, most of the things i've critiqued, Phil Spencer has already addressed and it working on fixing next gen.

State of Decay and Crackdown are two mid tier franchises that Microsoft needs to keep around until their sales drop off the face of the earth. Crackdown better sell, because if it doesn't Microsoft will drop it.

I have not completely ignored Ori 2, but Ori 2 is an indie game. That will not draw people to the console. Microsoft's major issue is that they have not created one desirable new IP that drives console gamers to their console this whole gen. 

Both Sony and Nintendo release mid tier games all the time, why is it a not a good thing for MS? 

Making a new IP is always a gamble, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Success isn't always guaranteed. Go ask Sony how many successful IPs turned a profit for them, last gen 4 out of 10 actually turned a profit.  

https://www.dualshockers.com/shuhei-yoshida-only-four-out-of-ten-playstation-games-make-money-but-sony-will-always-support-talent/

You have ignored Ori 2. And now your answer is its a Indie game? Its a 1st party IP which seems to have a bigger budget for its sequel. I highlighted your comment in Bold and it confuses me. You claim they haven't made a desirable IP yet Ori 2 is a desirable IP plus you have Sea of Thieves due in 3 months, that's 2 new IPs coming out in 2018 (One being a Sequel of a New IP)

FIRST PARTY IPs 2018  

Sea of Thieves (MMO RPG)

Ori Will of the Wisp (Metoid Vania Platformer)

State of Decay 2 (Zombie Survival Horror)

Crackdown 3 (Openworld Action)

Two are Fresh IPs and Two are old revisited IPs which all offer a different variety of gameplay from each other that you cant get on any other console. That's 4 big games from MS for 2018 not including 3rd party deals and Indie games on top of the prospect Halo 6 and Horizon 4 could possibly be 2018 titles and maybe Remedy's Alan Wake 2 to drive console sales (I am calling it this year). I hate list wars however if I was a sole Console gamer I would be happy with 4 major exclusive in 1 year.

So I don't get you, those games mentioned in the list don't count because there not State of the Art Visuals? Because they opted for Gameplay over graphics? Is that why they don't interest you? 

Lets wait and see what Xbox announces for 2018 E3 now that they got there Hardware launch out the way.

Ori 2 has not been forgotten. If I had to name every indie for Xbox I would have to do the same for Playstation and that just wouldn't be fair for Xbox, now would it? I did call State of Decay and Crackdown mid-tier games, because they are. Sony makes mid-tier games....but they also have their new IP's that are coming which are blockbusters. For the sake of Microsofts E3, I hope they have some new games that are in the oven because once again all eyes will be on them and there will be no need for any showcase of 70% timed excluisves and multiplats . There will be quite a few blockbusters this year from Sony and none for Microsoft (unless Microsoft finally announces Halo). As for Remedy making Alan Wake...thats a laugh. You do know that Remedy's next IP will be a multiplatform game right? Core Xbox fans did not support almost any of their major new single player IP (none of them were microsoft's IP, so that's neither here nor there...but still is telling) and Phil Spencer even addressed this issue where Sony and Nintendo excel at making those games and have fans who will continue them because they are quality. Apparently two things happened with Ryse, Sunset Overdive and Quantum Break:

1. Xbox core fans do not gravitate to single player games, much like the mass audience. Not even as much as we thought they would.

2. The quality of the new AAA games were too low. 

As for your link, thank you for it because it proved my ultimate point, this generation Sony was up to the task on tasking risk in creating more hits by accepting the fact that misses will happen. They support talent and take the proper risk to secure hits. Actually....yeah that did it. I dont need to even say anymore after that. Thats what Microsoft should be doing and hopefully next gen they will do it. We gave Phil Spencer a chance to turn the ship around. We know the games are supposed to come next gen, so lets wait, shall we? This gens over. Lets just take our Halo and Gears and be happy with that.

Last edited by S.T.A.G.E. - on 02 January 2018

Thanks for your sharing. Hope you can contribute more quality posts to this page. Thank you!
lucky patcher

vivster said:
It will also not be fixed in 2019. You cannot fault them for consistency.

Absolutely savage. 

If they don't sort out their line out then they'll never sell over 10m in one year. 

Kerotan said:

Absolutely savage. 

If they don't sort out their line out then they'll never sell over 10m in one year. 

If they wanted to sort anything out they would've done it by now. They had 4 years.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.