By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox's lack of compelling games won't be fixed in 2018 [Endgadget]

Xbox 1 will be fine.they just need to keep making fan favourites like forza ,gears,halo,fable along with some indie and new ips.its working for ea,activision and Nintendo.they are making/milking the same games over the past decades.theres nothing wrong with it.i mean they are selling consoles without any exclusives and people are buying it so why bother invest money in making huge games.they rather invest that money in online services like gamepass,ea access,xbl,etc etc.valve doing the same and making money like no other without makingvsingle games.Microsoft should definitely improve their Windows store,its slow and clunky.

Around the Network

To me I think 2018 is going to be the best year in the Xbox One's life cycle in terms of games:

a whole new different MMORPG concept in Sea of Thieves
a technological leap with their claims of a fully destructible multiplayer environment in Crackdown 3
a full triple-A zombie survival game where choices have consequences in State of Decay 2
the generation-defining open-world racer in Forza Horizon 4
a dark souls style atmospheric beautiful looking game in Ashen
a unique story heavy side-scrolling game in The Last Night

And finally, Ori and the Will Of the Wisps which is no doubt going to be one of the best games of 2018.

This is a very strong lineup, diverse genres, unique elements in each that could probably push gaming to new heights (my bet is on the cloud tech in Crackdown 3).

adisababa said:
This is a very strong lineup, diverse genres, unique elements in each that could probably push gaming to new heights (my bet is on the cloud tech in Crackdown 3).

Not to destroy your spirit but I'm pretty sure out of all the games you named Crackdown will be the biggest disaster for Xbox and will rather make people steer off Xbox than to it. If it ever releases that is.

New experiences are fine but to be actually compelling and drawing in new people they need things with impact and none of the games you listed have that. Not the millionth zombie survival game, not the trillionth installment in a racing franchise, not a niche MMO, not a cool looking retro adventure game, and certainly not any indie style game.

Again, I'm not taking anything away from those games but on a greater scale they're just not enough to draw in new people but rather to keep existing fans entertained. They need absolute blockbusters and they won't get those unless they buy them from studios, or the studios themselves.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Azzanation said:

Both Sony and Nintendo release mid tier games all the time, why is it a not a good thing for MS? 

Making a new IP is always a gamble, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Success isn't always guaranteed. Go ask Sony how many successful IPs turned a profit for them, last gen 4 out of 10 actually turned a profit.  

https://www.dualshockers.com/shuhei-yoshida-only-four-out-of-ten-playstation-games-make-money-but-sony-will-always-support-talent/

You have ignored Ori 2. And now your answer is its a Indie game? Its a 1st party IP which seems to have a bigger budget for its sequel. I highlighted your comment in Bold and it confuses me. You claim they haven't made a desirable IP yet Ori 2 is a desirable IP plus you have Sea of Thieves due in 3 months, that's 2 new IPs coming out in 2018 (One being a Sequel of a New IP)

FIRST PARTY IPs 2018  

Sea of Thieves (MMO RPG)

Ori Will of the Wisp (Metoid Vania Platformer)

State of Decay 2 (Zombie Survival Horror)

Crackdown 3 (Openworld Action)

Two are Fresh IPs and Two are old revisited IPs which all offer a different variety of gameplay from each other that you cant get on any other console. That's 4 big games from MS for 2018 not including 3rd party deals and Indie games on top of the prospect Halo 6 and Horizon 4 could possibly be 2018 titles and maybe Remedy's Alan Wake 2 to drive console sales (I am calling it this year). I hate list wars however if I was a sole Console gamer I would be happy with 4 major exclusive in 1 year.

So I don't get you, those games mentioned in the list don't count because there not State of the Art Visuals? Because they opted for Gameplay over graphics? Is that why they don't interest you? 

Lets wait and see what Xbox announces for 2018 E3 now that they got there Hardware launch out the way.

Ori 2 has not been forgotten. If I had to name every indie for Xbox I would have to do the same for Playstation and that just wouldn't be fair for Xbox, now would it? I did call State of Decay and Crackdown mid-tier games, because they are. Sony makes mid-tier games....but they also have their new IP's that are coming which are blockbusters. For the sake of Microsofts E3, I hope they have some new games that are in the oven because once again all eyes will be on them and there will be no need for any showcase of 70% timed excluisves and multiplats . There will be quite a few blockbusters this year from Sony and none for Microsoft (unless Microsoft finally announces Halo). As for Remedy making Alan Wake...thats a laugh. You do know that Remedy's next IP will be a multiplatform game right? Core Xbox fans did not support almost any of their major new single player IP (none of them were microsoft's IP, so that's neither here nor there...but still is telling) and Phil Spencer even addressed this issue where Sony and Nintendo excel at making those games and have fans who will continue them because they are quality. Apparently two things happened with Ryse, Sunset Overdive and Quantum Break:

1. Xbox core fans do not gravitate to single player games, much like the mass audience. Not even as much as we thought they would.

2. The quality of the new AAA games were too low. 

As for your link, thank you for it because it proved my ultimate point, this generation Sony was up to the task on tasking risk in creating more hits by accepting the fact that misses will happen. They support talent and take the proper risk to secure hits. Actually....yeah that did it. I dont need to even say anymore after that. Thats what Microsoft should be doing and hopefully next gen they will do it. We gave Phil Spencer a chance to turn the ship around. We know the games are supposed to come next gen, so lets wait, shall we? This gens over. Lets just take our Halo and Gears and be happy with that.

Being a Indie game does not take away the fact its a exclusive new IP nor its quality. You are talking about one of the best Indie games to date on next gen not some freshed out game with no fan base.

That article I linked you shows making dozen of IPs does not lead to better profits. MS seem to do just find with there IPs which seem to keep them happen enough to make more of. 

Xbox core fans? Please example what core fans are? You mean American's? Who buy Xboxes for there FPS etc? Is that where you are going with that? What's a Xbox core gamer? I know many core gamers on all platforms and some only play Fifa on PS4, some only play Racers on Xbox and Some only care about is Pokemon on Nintendo, however there just gamers with there preferences. I don't generalise gamers or there platform of choice. Everyone games differently. 

So you say Sony and Nintendo have Blockbusters yet MS don't? So Ori 2 doesn't count because its an Indie game? Sea Of thieves doesn't count either because its a new IP? What's a blockbuster to you? Example - Days Gone a blockbuster and State of Decay 2 isn't?

Snoopy said:
Normchacho said:

1. That list is 6 games long. 2 of them are indies, 1 is an unknown quantity, 1 is from a franchise that hasn't had much critical or commercial success, 1 is a sequel to a game that sold pretty well (2 million units, no idea where you got 5) and then there's Forza Horizon 4 which is the only properly big game on that list. There's little chance that lineup with generate much buzz or have any significant effect on console sales.

2. Uh no. I have an Xbox One S, if I buy a multiplatform game for it I'm likely getting the worst version of that game. I'd have to literally buy a different console to get the best version. And most of who thinks the Xbox has the best controller and online? Not that either of those, or backwards compatibility have anything to do with the conversation at hand.

Mind you, I'm not making a comparison to Sony. On it's own this years line up of Xbox One exclusives is weak.

1. Yes, and all those games have longevity outside the indies, but they are cheaper.  Games that have a lot of updates,online,ect can keep most people occupy longer than a 60 dollar single player only game like RE7, Evil within 2. The exception is rpgs like the Witcher 3 (god that game is ridiculously huge). Look at steam community, psn and xbl. They are still playing over watch,minecraft, counter strike, rocket league, the older cods/bf games and more.  Not only that, but most gamers aren't buying more than 5 new games a year for their console and if they do multiplatform games are going to take up majority of it.

2. You have the xbox version so if you ever choose to upgrade console your games are still there and they get a boost in graphics, textures, ect. Hell quite a few 360 games are starting to look better (especially the older assassin's creed games and besetheda games). I don't know if Sony is going to follow suit and make their console backwards compatability. Also, the reason why I think most people think xbox has better controller is because Nintendo, Oyua and most third party manufactures copy it (at least in my experience).  Plus, I know most people don't have it, but that elite controller is so awesome and unbelievable.

1. How does them being multiplayer focused make them an inherently better lineup? Especially considering there's typically a much larger pool of third party multiplayer games (Destiny, The Division, Wildlands, Rocket League, Overwatch, Call of Duty, ect.) than there is single player games. There's no shortage of games vying for huge chunks of your time, but the Xbox doesn't really have much in the way of strong single player games. I'm also more than willing to have a conversation about the importance of exclusives, but that isn't this conversation.

2. Okay, but once again, I'd need a DIFFERENT console. The vast majority of Xbox One owners aren't going to buy an X, and are therefore getting the worst version of multiplatform games.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

adisababa said:
To me I think 2018 is going to be the best year in the Xbox One's life cycle in terms of games:

a whole new different MMORPG concept in Sea of Thieves
a technological leap with their claims of a fully destructible multiplayer environment in Crackdown 3
a full triple-A zombie survival game where choices have consequences in State of Decay 2
the generation-defining open-world racer in Forza Horizon 4
a dark souls style atmospheric beautiful looking game in Ashen
a unique story heavy side-scrolling game in The Last Night

And finally, Ori and the Will Of the Wisps which is no doubt going to be one of the best games of 2018.

I myself dont like the artstyle and only multiplayer stuff on Sea of Thieves, but it has pretty good previews so it will do well and have its own fanbase.

Crackdown 3 looks pretty bad in everyway in my opinion and saying its crackdown shouldnt be an excuse. I think the destructible environment is only very small map and wont look that impressive. Wouldnt surprise me if it gets cancelled, because they have not mentioned it since august and twitter has never been so quiet before, but hopefully it will come out and not pushed out by Microsoft.

state of decay 2 is my most anticipated game from Microsoft, but it doesnt look like triple AAA. It looks more like remaster of original with ok graphics and bad animations (can be changed for launch ofcourse). I

I doubt Forza Horizon 4 will do anything different from last Forza Horizon except new location and new cars.

Ori will certanly be great, but it looks more like a 2019.

Arent The last Night and Ashen only timed exclusives and published now by Annapurna? Same thing happened to Sony with What remains edith finch and it got released 3 month later on xbox one. Wouldnt surprise me to see those titles on PS4 and Switch this year as well.

Normchacho said:
Snoopy said:

1. Yes, and all those games have longevity outside the indies, but they are cheaper.  Games that have a lot of updates,online,ect can keep most people occupy longer than a 60 dollar single player only game like RE7, Evil within 2. The exception is rpgs like the Witcher 3 (god that game is ridiculously huge). Look at steam community, psn and xbl. They are still playing over watch,minecraft, counter strike, rocket league, the older cods/bf games and more.  Not only that, but most gamers aren't buying more than 5 new games a year for their console and if they do multiplatform games are going to take up majority of it.

2. You have the xbox version so if you ever choose to upgrade console your games are still there and they get a boost in graphics, textures, ect. Hell quite a few 360 games are starting to look better (especially the older assassin's creed games and besetheda games). I don't know if Sony is going to follow suit and make their console backwards compatability. Also, the reason why I think most people think xbox has better controller is because Nintendo, Oyua and most third party manufactures copy it (at least in my experience).  Plus, I know most people don't have it, but that elite controller is so awesome and unbelievable.

1. How does them being multiplayer focused make them an inherently better lineup? Especially considering there's typically a much larger pool of third party multiplayer games (Destiny, The Division, Wildlands, Rocket League, Overwatch, Call of Duty, ect.) than there is single player games. There's no shortage of games vying for huge chunks of your time, but the Xbox doesn't really have much in the way of strong single player games. I'm also more than willing to have a conversation about the importance of exclusives, but that isn't this conversation.

2. Okay, but once again, I'd need a DIFFERENT console. The vast majority of Xbox One owners aren't going to buy an X, and are therefore getting the worst version of multiplatform games.

1. Better is always subjective, in fact I will take Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon, PUBG (could be timed) and state of decay  over all the ps4 games this generation personally, even though I know you disagree with me. However, more than likely you will get more longevity out of a multiplayer game than a single player game unless it is an RPG like the Witcher 3. If you look at PSN, XBL and Steam most people play games with multiplayer or are multiplayer only.

I think xbox has good sp games overall (could be better). Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon 2 & 3 and Motor Sport games, Quantum Break, Cup Head, Ori, Halo Wars 2,ect. However, most of those games have a good MP element to keep you occupy for the long run. Next year I can't wait to play ori 2, ashen and state of decay 2 SP mode, but the multiplayer games just like most gamers is where I am spending most of my time.

2. People will more likely get an xbox in the future. Wether it is the x or the next xbox. Either way the game will be upgraded along with their console. Not sure if Sony will follow suit. They like selling remasters and they came out and said they don't see the point of backwards compatibility. Not to mention there could be licensing issues if the next console is named PS5. That's why I think the next xbox will have the name "xbox one" in it.

Azzanation said:

Being a Indie game does not take away the fact its a exclusive new IP nor its quality. You are talking about one of the best Indie games to date on next gen not some freshed out game with no fan base.

I don't think he's saying it doesn't count because it's an indie game, just that it's not really a major release.

That article I linked you shows making dozen of IPs does not lead to better profits. MS seem to do just find with there IPs which seem to keep them happen enough to make more of. 

But as a gamer that shouldn't matter to you. Having a platform holder that is willing to rely on bigger IP to pay for smaller IP just to flesh out their library is a good thing. If MS had more of that attitude we might have seen SO2 or another exclusive remedy game. Instead, we'll likely never see SO2 unless it's on multiple platforms and Remedy's next game is multiplatform.

So you say Sony and Nintendo have Blockbusters yet MS don't? So Ori 2 doesn't count because its an Indie game? Sea Of thieves doesn't count either because its a new IP? What's a blockbuster to you? Example - Days Gone a blockbuster and State of Decay 2 isn't?

For 2018? MS doesn't have any real Blockbuster games for 2018. Blockbusters are the top tier games. The ones that have a ton of hype behind them. The tentpole games. Days Gone isn't a blockbuster, God of War and Spider-Man are though. MS doesn't have a big game like that coming out in 2018.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

I don't get how anyone can be so confident in Xbox's 2018. So many games cancelled and delayed I would just wait and see.

Snoopy said:
Normchacho said:

1. Better is always subjective, in fact I will take Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon, PUBG (could be timed) and state of decay  over all the ps4 games this generation personally, even though I know you disagree with me. However, more than likely you will get more longevity out of a multiplayer game than a single player game unless it is an RPG like the Witcher 3. If you look at PSN, XBL and Steam most people play games with multiplayer or are multiplayer only.

I think xbox has good sp games overall (could be better). Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon 2 & 3 and Motor Sport games, Quantum Break, Cup Head, Ori, Halo Wars 2,ect. However, most of those games have a good MP element to keep you occupy for the long run. Next year I can't wait to play ori 2, ashen and state of decay 2 SP mode, but the multiplayer games just like most gamers is where I am spending most of my time.

2. People will more likely get an xbox in the future. Wether it is the x or the next xbox. Either way the game will be upgraded along with their console. Not sure if Sony will follow suit. They like selling remasters and they came out and said they don't see the point of backwards compatibility. Not to mention there could be licensing issues if the next console is named PS5. That's why I think the next xbox will have the name "xbox one" in it.

1. I'm not arguing about preference here. I'm saying that if you're interested in multiplayer games then third party publishers have you pretty well covered. Beyond that I'm saying that there's no inherent benefit to a game being multiplayer focused.

2. That's a really bad argument. The version of these games gamers are actually playing is the worst version. Saying they have the best version because they may be able to play them on a different system years down the line is silly.

Bet with Adamblaziken: