By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox's lack of compelling games won't be fixed in 2018 [Endgadget]

It was telling how reliant their last E3 was on smaller, third party, timed exclusives. Hopefully we get that rumored serious Fable game, but I don't see much else bucking the trend thus far.

Ganoncrotch said:
MS's issue isn't going to be solved by buying a couple of small studios imo, they're going to have to break out the cheque book and do a major deal, something like straight up buy activision or EA, which wont really happen so I can't see them getting out of the "no gaemz" position that the X1 has been in for the last 2 years now.

Indeed. Xbox will need a big shakeup to get out of this software rut and I don't see MS as willing to do that these days. Windows integration may be the greater goal for them but if they won't compete properly with Sony that section of the market will continue to shrink.

Around the Network

No panic, the year for Xbox is fine. The number of exclusives is fine for the average gamer, and both we and MS know that they won't turn this generation around, so they'll be cruising on (sales wise) as they have been until now.

Maybe we'll see a strong year in 2020 or 2021, depending on how much MS is willing to spend. In any case, I'm fine with the status quo.

If xbox is your main console then you will be fine with it but I just dont see it as appealing as a secondary console hence why I sold it. I just dont care for any of the games announced. Crackdown 3? Didnt care about the other 2 and so far this one looks mediocre. State of decay 2 looks decent but not enough to hold my attention. Sea of thieves is an only online game which I refused to pay for two online subscription. Pubg?Need live and like I said, there is no point for me to pay for two subscription. I dont own a switch and it already has more games that I want to play than xbox.

Soundwave said:

Xbox fanbase mainly cares about the big Western multiplats.

They want Madden, Battlefield, Calladooty, GTA, FIFA, etc. And with XBox One X they likely will be getting the best versions of these games from here on out until this gen ends. They don't care about some weird Japanese exclusive. Most of these Japanese exclusives that are sooooo important according to this board don't even sell well in Japan, lol. Japan gives zero fucks about Street Fighter V, Ni No Kuni is not some huge franchise there, Tekken has been over in Japan for a decade, Last Guardian was no big hit in Japan, etc. etc. Let alone the West. 

Microsoft's best play for the rest of the gen is to hammer over and over and over again on Sony that they now have the best versions of the big Western games ... games that actually sell 5/6/7/8/9/10 million copies. 

I like Japanese game but unless it's a Nintendo game or Final Fantasy/Monster Hunter/Resident Evil ... it's small potaotes in the West. Lets be honest, and even MH is a niche franchise outside of Japan and not a huge impact maker on home consoles (never has been even on PS2 and Wii). Resident Evil is on major decline too. 

Fortunately for Sony they have locked up 3rd party marketing for years to come. So all the hammering about power won’t mean much except for the same fan base that already had Xbox to begin with. The rest of the world will continue on with PS4 and Nintendo as the front runners of this gen. 

Well, considering how many times MS PR said they are increasing 1st party content I'm not surprised 2018 won't be that year.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Slade6alpha said:
Lol at some of these lists people are making. I'll take Ori Will of the Wisps and the eventual Horizon 4 over anything PS has to offer next year.

But yeah Xbox 2017 was utter shit, worst in company history.

List warz are fun. Apparently State of Decay 2 is irrelevant because it looks "meh". Meanwhile a visual novel like Steins counts just fine. lol, I remember when last gen a game like State of Decay wouldn't have counted because "lul its an xbla title". How times have changed.

Anyway, no, Xbone will never match PS4 in volume of games simply because it doesn't get all the niche Japanese stuff the Playstation console gets. But 2018 is looking mighty good. Big releases start early with Sea of Thieves and will likely continue into the end of the year with Horizon 4.

And your opinion on Ori Will of the Wisps and Horizon 4 counting more than all the list of PS4?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

2017 wasn't good at all for Xbox, however 2018 seems to be filled with a good quantity of games.
My favorite one is by far Ori since the first one got me very emotional. Also FH4 will probably be awesome just like it's predecessors, Sea of Thieves looks fun but it's not my type of game and Crackdown 3 seems to be getting some attention from a couple of fans, but it also isn't my type. And I'm dreaming with a Sunset Overdrive 2 announcement at Xbox E3, but maybe it will only stay in my dreams for now (although I wish it wouldn't).
And btw, I honestly can't understand some of the game lists people are doing, I mean, I read some of them and I think "I don't know even half of the games at this list".

Azzanation said:

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Yeah, its made by second party, but Microsoft might own the IP to both. Microsoft has a history of amassing a mountain  of less than desirable IP's over generations that dont become hits. Like...far more than their competition.

Do you even play the games instead of just throwing out sentences that do nothing but be little things.

State of Decay was a great game for the 360 and so was Crackdown 1 (Iffy about Crackdown 2) so how does this lead to MS amassing a mountain of less than desirable IPs? They earnt sequels so guess there goes your theory in a nut shell. Start playing games with good gameplay instead of focusing on the visual appeal and you might start enjoying these games more.

Heck Zelda blew me out of the park and it looks like nothing compared to what's out there. Hint for State of Decay 2.

I also like how you completely ignored Ori 2 in this conversation, is that another undesirable IP under MS's belt?

Little things? Perhaps little things to you, but in the end game of it all, most of the things i've critiqued, Phil Spencer has already addressed and it working on fixing next gen.

State of Decay and Crackdown are two mid tier franchises that Microsoft needs to keep around until their sales drop off the face of the earth. Crackdown better sell, because if it doesn't Microsoft will drop it.

I have not completely ignored Ori 2, but Ori 2 is an indie game. That will not draw people to the console. Microsoft's major issue is that they have not created one desirable new IP that drives console gamers to their console this whole gen. 

Normchacho said:
Snoopy said:

1. Yes it is strong, because those games unlike Sony games aren't games that you can redbox and beat within a week. Those games have online and will be treated like a games as service with constant updates outside of ori and ashen, but they aren't full 60 dollars so I can forgive them. Also, Forza Horizon , Halo and State of decay (which sold over 5 million back in 2013) are well known franchises that sell very well. Games like sea of thieves is a new ip so we can't judge the sale quality just like we can't judge the sale quality of ps4 games like days gone (if it releases this year).

2. Only small portion of gamers play exclusives anyways outside a few exception. Hell, there is only 1 ps4 exclusive to sell pass 5 million on a 70 million install base. Also, I'll argue og xbox one owners get superior multiplatform games because they can always upgrade their console like how people upgrade their computers/tv. Not to mention most people think xbox has the best controller and best online. I'm not sure if Sony is going to do backwards compatibility with the PS5 since they like selling you remasters or pushing their psnow service on you. 

Sony came out and said they don't care about backwards compatibility 

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/06/06/sony-doesn-t-believe-that-backwards-compatibility-is-that-import/

1. That list is 6 games long. 2 of them are indies, 1 is an unknown quantity, 1 is from a franchise that hasn't had much critical or commercial success, 1 is a sequel to a game that sold pretty well (2 million units, no idea where you got 5) and then there's Forza Horizon 4 which is the only properly big game on that list. There's little chance that lineup with generate much buzz or have any significant effect on console sales.

2. Uh no. I have an Xbox One S, if I buy a multiplatform game for it I'm likely getting the worst version of that game. I'd have to literally buy a different console to get the best version. And most of who thinks the Xbox has the best controller and online? Not that either of those, or backwards compatibility have anything to do with the conversation at hand.

Mind you, I'm not making a comparison to Sony. On it's own this years line up of Xbox One exclusives is weak.

1. Yes, and all those games have longevity outside the indies, but they are cheaper.  Games that have a lot of updates,online,ect can keep most people occupy longer than a 60 dollar single player only game like RE7, Evil within 2. The exception is rpgs like the Witcher 3 (god that game is ridiculously huge). Look at steam community, psn and xbl. They are still playing over watch,minecraft, counter strike, rocket league, the older cods/bf games and more.

2. You have the xbox version so if you ever choose to upgrade console your games are still there and they get a boost in graphics, textures, ect. Hell quite a few 360 games are starting to look better (especially the older assassin's creed games and besetheda games). I don't know if Sony is going to follow suit and make their console backwards compatability. Also, the reason why I think most people think xbox has better controller is because Nintendo, Oyua and most third party manufactures copy it (at least in my experience).  Plus, I know most people don't have it, but that elite controller is so awesome and unbelievable.

DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

List warz are fun. Apparently State of Decay 2 is irrelevant because it looks "meh". Meanwhile a visual novel like Steins counts just fine. lol, I remember when last gen a game like State of Decay wouldn't have counted because "lul its an xbla title". How times have changed.

Anyway, no, Xbone will never match PS4 in volume of games simply because it doesn't get all the niche Japanese stuff the Playstation console gets. But 2018 is looking mighty good. Big releases start early with Sea of Thieves and will likely continue into the end of the year with Horizon 4.

And your opinion on Ori Will of the Wisps and Horizon 4 counting more than all the list of PS4?

To each their own.