By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma feels that Breath of the Wild’s freedom needs to be maintained in future Zelda games

curl-6 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Honestly no offense curl but at this point it just sounds like you're making excuses for a system that has very obvious flaws .... what's the point in pretending like it's perfect? And if you respond with "Well I don't think it's perfect (nothing is perfect!)" then your testament certainly doesn't correlate with that philosophy. 

"Part of skill though is not just in the execution, but in strategy and weapon management. It's knowing when to use the right tool for the right job;"

Sure, your examples are quite good by the way. But really your contesting a point I never made. I'm not stupid, I know that part of skill is strategy. But again you're stating things very blankly like it's a black and white procedure. It isn't. You're often not going to know how much hits you have left before your weapon breaks(I don't even remember if the stat is in the game but even if it is again the game is not menu simulator 2017 and since I have so many hours in the game it's likely people won't even come across the stat if it's even shown in the game). Of course the moment you see a powerful enemy , you usually have enough time to come up with a strategy, though even that's now always the case. Your point would only work if Breath of the Wild was a purely strategical game, but it isn't. It's improvisational and I don't think they've found the right balance yet between the pros of weapon durability and the cons of it. Maybe it should be in the sequel, but it needs some major adjustments. 

You can also kill foes without even drawing your sword/cub/axe by rolling rocks down hills, using your limitless rune bombs, using magnesis to hit them with metal objects, setting dry grass around them on fire, etc. "

Do you know how BULLSHIT that shit is? Gosh, I fucking hate the rune bombs! Even when I upgraded them they felt so annoying to use over and over and over again. The metal objects can be used effectively but quite rarely. The dry grass fires are better for soaring the skies than actually fighting enemies. Again you are kind of reaching, if anything I felt like after a while BOTW wasn't flexible enough with these mechanics. 

I simply don't see any major cons with the system as it exists now.

Weapons that are low on durability flash red on the menu and a message pops up on screen notifying you that it's badly damaged, so the player will always know when their weapon is at breaking point.

I dont think your argument for strategy is strong when your evidence is a reactionary red flash that only really leads to in the moment srategy and not preparation like you claim. 

But I will go no further. Fair enough man, you bring up some great points. Like I said, I agree with some of the pros and cons of the system. I just hope that if its in the next game its tweaked for the better :)

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
curl-6 said:

I simply don't see any major cons with the system as it exists now.

Weapons that are low on durability flash red on the menu and a message pops up on screen notifying you that it's badly damaged, so the player will always know when their weapon is at breaking point.

I dont think your argument for strategy is strong when your evidence is a reactionary red flash that only really leads to in the moment srategy and not preparation like you claim. 

But I will go no further. Fair enough man, you bring up some great points. Like I said, I agree with some of the pros and cons of the system. I just hope that if its in the next game its tweaked for the better :)

I meant it less along the lines of being reactionary in the moment and more in the sense of planning ahead and managing accordingly. Like saving stronger weapons for stronger foes, holding otherwise specialized weapons (e.g. wooden, elemental, heavy) in reserve for when appropriate, being aware of one's surroundings, etc.

But fair enough; we agree on one thing at least, that the next game should preferably be better in every way possible. :)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 December 2017

BoTW brought the open world overworld in Zelda games that I had been waiting a long time for. However, they also took certain things away that they ought to bring back in addition to the open world overworld:

1. Themed dungeons with better puzzles: the divine beasts didn't really have the puzzle solving elements that we typically receive in Zelda games. Instead they felt more like fetch missions. Similarly, the shrines, while quite fun in and of themselves as mini dungeons, were not large enough to replace traditional Zelda dungeons. Another issue was that both shrines and divine beasts generally looked the same and lacked the interesting themes found in previous Zelda dungeons.

2. Enemy and boss variety: there are a great number of enemies that exist in the world of Zelda, so it was quite sad that in this game we only got a handful and mere stronger variants of them. The next Zelda games should bring back different types of enemies. Similarly, the bosses were not very memorable nor where they particularly different from one another with regards to design or attack tactics.

3. Better music score: A game the size of BoTW deserves a fantastic score. While this game had a few great pieces of music (Hyrule Castle and Fantastic Beast music stood out as being quite good to me), the big overworld was largely filled with the same few piano notes being played again and again.

4. Better NPCs: The towns and cities did not have particularly memorable residents (at least any that Link extensively interacted with), so they all felt very generic.

5. Better ending: Going through this big adventure only to end up in front of Hyrule Castle again with nothing changed is a bit of the let down. This was an issue I had with Mario games like Sunshine and Galaxy, which were later remedied in Galaxy 2, 3D World, Odyssey with the addition of post-game content. I hope a future game gets structured in a way where once you save the world, there will be profound positive change in the game and one that will lead to post-game content.

I just want it to be a good game. Not sure if it 100 percent needs to be completely open world. Some Zelda’s in pat were not but were very good. For sure I hope they go back to having better dungeons.

Looking forward to the future of the series, really the only issue I had with BotW is the variety, more enemies and thematics for shrines and dungeons if only in aesthetic can improve an already impressive game.

Also hoping for more dungeons like Hyrule Castle and the DLC one, some of the best if not the best dungeons in the series for me.

And boss fights like the one from the DLC, that one was so much fun, another personal favorite.

Around the Network
ARamdomGamer said:
Looking forward to the future of the series, really the only issue I had with BotW is the variety, more enemies and thematics for shrines and dungeons if only in aesthetic can improve an already impressive game.

Also hoping for more dungeons like Hyrule Castle and the DLC one, some of the best if not the best dungeons in the series for me.

And boss fights like the one from the DLC, that one was so much fun, another personal favorite.

The DLC gives me hope for dungeons in whatever the next game is, the final dungeon/boss was amazing.

I would like dungeons designed closer to the previous 3D games, but the open format of this game was so well-implemented, I would hate to see it be forgotten. If they could refine the BotW formula a bit more, I...I hate to think what would happen @_@ RIP every other game ever.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

I hope it won't be too similar to BotW

Would like to see what they add next to keep the series looking fresh

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Jumpin said:

Weapon durability is kind of essential in the formula for encouraging people to hunt a variety of different monsters and explore different locations and using a variety of different weapons. Otherwise the game becomes basically nothing but avoiding everything bigger than a Bokoblin and killing everything with an unbreakable savage Lynel Crusher and Savage Lynel Bow. Otherwise, remove everything cool from the game because it’s overpowered and invincible.

Agree, I would just make weapons little more durable.

As great as the game was, I'd really like it to go back to feeling like "Zelda" again. To me, there was just something missing. I suppose they felt they needed to rewrite the entire thing to keep it relevant, and if that's the case, then my hopes are a lost cause. But if I'm being selfish here, I really miss the "feel" of OOT and MM. Or for that matter, Zelda 1-MM.

I mean, we didn't even get a decent musical theme until the credits rolled. OOT had them coming out every pore.

Miyamotoo said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Sad news. Open world is a fad I really hope games stop forcing in. Very few do it well.

And Zelda BotW is one that do it probably best until now.

People keep saying that, but I don't agree. They tried harder than most, for sure, and they put much more work in and it shows. I still don't think it's done well, especially not given the franchise it's attached to. Very disappointing.