By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: Switch sales are “unprecedented” for Nintendo

Nintendo can spin this as long as they want, but the fact is that Switch still hasn't sold as much as Wii U and 3DS combined. It's a complete flop. Accept it thou loathed issues of thy father's loins!

Around the Network

greatest as ever!

Switch!!!

DonFerrari said:
Know Nintendo top brass are on the same level of understanding of words of the regular VGC users.

But joking aside, he is talking about releasing in March and achieving 10M in 9 months as unprecedented, probably because they usually launch in the holidays?

Yes, that is what he most likely means, also if you consider the Switch portable hardware, this growth is out of the norm as well since Nintendo portables usually start off slow and build to a fever pitch, this one has just been on fire out the gate in terms of both hardware and major software.

IkePoR said:
DonFerrari said:

Actually that is the crux of a PR spin. Making something more impressive by twisting perception

No console has ever sole 10 million before it's first winter and Christmas - the biggest shopping season of the year.  

It's not spin, it's a stat and a damn impressive one.

Isnt that because most consoles release in September or November and so have no chance of that 10 month run up? or in previous consoles were staggered releases?

So I'm not saying that 10 million isnt a good first year number, it is and its doing really well, but what you are saying isnt the whole picture.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Well it is unprecedented because no console has sold 10 million before holiday season.... was there?

Around the Network

Madword said:
IkePoR said:

No console has ever sole 10 million before it's first winter and Christmas - the biggest shopping season of the year.  

It's not spin, it's a stat and a damn impressive one.

Isnt that because most consoles release in September or November and so have no chance of that 10 month run up? or in previous consoles were staggered releases?

So I'm not saying that 10 million isnt a good first year number, it is and its doing really well, but what you are saying isnt the whole picture.

Machina said:
The qualifier about holidays is what allows him to use the word unprecedented and be technically correct, but it's a PR wheeze.

The Wii launched in November 2006, so technically had a holiday at the very start of its life, though it was so supply constrained that the fact it launched in the holiday period was irrelevant. The first three quarters of its life it sold over 10 million.

Switch is performing incredibly well but it is tracking behind the Wii, so its sales are definitely not unprecedented, unless you attach conditions to the statement.

Yes and exactly.  :P  Don't mistake me, I'm not defending corporate PR talk.  I'm merely saying that yes, he is technically correct.  Which, as we all know, is the best kind of correct.  It's a good stat to throw out there.  Similar to Trumps "Hours without being a National Embarrassment" reaching 8, but not mentioning it was during his bedtime.

On a serious note - 10 million is impressive w/o a Christmas.  I know many don't count the first xmas for Sep/Nov launches, but it's a number the PS4 was at in 9mo. w/ xmas.  I'm in the camp that thinks the first xmas does count - why would everyone traditionally launch there if it didn't?

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

superchunk said:
Azuren said:

They've been very readily available in most regions since September. The stock shortage isn't a thing anymore, and many stores still have a lot of Switches left after Black Friday (the price drops for PS4 and XB1 stole the show).

Definitely not true out here, AZ. I did not see any stock until in any store or on Amazon until late November.

I can only check stores in the chain I work for, but I know every store in our chain in Arizona has had a ready supply of Switches. Which stores were you checking?

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

December is traditionally Nintendo’s biggest month. Their consoles typically sell around 2.8X better than their next biggest month, which is November. I think their biggest hardware sales month in history was December 2009. Although 2009 was the first year that Wii wasn’t constantly supply constrained resulting from a drop in immediate demand throughout the rest of the year. In other words 2009 was the first year when there weren’t 20 million+ people who wanted the Wii and needed it now!

While what Reggie says is absolutely true. If Wii has 30M units available at launch, does anyone doubt it would have sold 30M units in 1 month?

Last edited by Jumpin - on 18 December 2017

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

AlfredoTurkey said:
superchunk said:
While this is awesome, I want to know how many they shipped for post black friday because I am now seeing them in stock at every store I go to. Though its amazing the overall sales considering there have been zero price reducing bundles.

That's probably why the numbers are so good. There's consoles on shelves to buy.

Totally agree with you.

If Nintendo want to hit their upgraded first year sales target they must be sure of thing. Production MUST be increased if necessary because consoles MUST be on shelves to buy.

If they don't produce enough consoles they are never going to hit their new sales forecast, which is important for investors.

Low stock CANNOT be an issue.

That's why Switches can now be found everywhere, which is a good thing.