By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what are your expectation for the next mainline final fantasy?

reviniente said:
gergroy said:
I expect it to be awful. Every final fantasy game since X has been worse than the last. XV was abysmal, it is going to be hard to do worse, but I have faith that square will find a way....😒

Final Fantasy XII was worse than X?!

Absolutely!  XII was ok, but X was great!  The only final fantasy that was better than X was VII.  I would rank the FF games as follows (excluding 1-5 as I never played them and 11 and 14 as they are mmo’s)

VII, X, VI, IX, XII, VIII, ..................XIII, .................................................................XV

Around the Network
LMU Uncle Alfred said:
The only expectation I have is that regardless of how it comes out, the fans will bitch and moan about it to no end. That's the only guarantee with the FF fanbase.

True. The fanbase belongs to the bitchiest groups ever. They will set their hopes up to completely unrealistic standards and be disappointed afterwards no matter what SE did, it just doesn't matter anymore. Everyone of the so called fans seems to know much better than the entirety of SE what the next game must be like. These fans can't appreciate a game anymore for what it is but instead always criticize it for what it isn't (which means anything that deviates from being their very own personal wish game).

Expectations?

Hm. I expect it to be about a pack of female idols who summon monster with their cell phones.

GoOnKid said:
LMU Uncle Alfred said:
The only expectation I have is that regardless of how it comes out, the fans will bitch and moan about it to no end. That's the only guarantee with the FF fanbase.

True. The fanbase belongs to the bitchiest groups ever. They will set their hopes up to completely unrealistic standards and be disappointed afterwards no matter what SE did, it just doesn't matter anymore. Everyone of the so called fans seems to know much better than the entirety of SE what the next game must be like. These fans can't appreciate a game anymore for what it is but instead always criticize it for what it isn't (which means anything that deviates from being their very own personal wish game).

More than this, I have seen them throw great games from other series under the bus to try and discount mainline ff games.  It’s getting worse over time too.

Lube Me Up

BasilZero said:
KBG29 said:

TV and M&K/Controllers is an outdated technology. AAA games should all be built in a AAA environment. VR and Motion Tracking is what defines AAA experiences now. There will still be great games for retro style TV + M&K/Controllers, but they should be coming from indies and AA teams. It will be really disappointing if Squares biggest team is still building games games based on nearly 30 old limitations by the time the next Final Fantasy arrives.

That said, I will play it either way. I would just prefer to have full controll of my body and senses with a next gen Final Fantasy, as opposed to crippling limitations of 30 year old tech.

And yet the majority choose to play using those mediums to this day instead of VR, AR, etc , I wonder why :l0l:.

I don't believe they choose to play games on TV with a controller, more like that is what they know or have access to. Major franchises have yet to move to VR, so your mass market gaming populace that play Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Fifa, and such doesn't even have an option to play in VR.

Of course there are other factors as well. The medium in its current form is just over a year old. The prices, access, and ease of use on the 1st gen hardware is not brain dead easy to set up and use. Most people have yet to even expereince VR on the PSVR/Rift/Vive level. Then you have secondary issues with people are interested in VR, but can't use the current devices due to physical limitations. 

By the time Final Fantasy 16 releases, we should have next gen VR. Easier to use, Higher Frame Rates, Higher Resolutions, Larger Field of View, 99.9% Tracking accuracy, Much Improved Controllers, and a few years and projects worth the development expereince. We should also see AAA games as mentioned above, along with VR games from Sony, Microsoft, and even Nintendo's 1st party developers. 

VR is going to grow a lot between now and FFXVI. Current VR tech will become extreamly affordable, and the library will continue to grow. Larger franchises will see remasters, lighter VR expereinces, or full fledged AAA VR expereinces. More people will expereince PSVR/Rift/Vive level VR, and the landscape will shift. This is like Horses vs Bikes vs  Cars, Ships vs Air Planes, Books vs Radio vs TV,  Out Houses vs In Door Plumbing, etc. vs etc. and so on. VR is the next level, very soon AAA development will shift to VR, and just like the market expanded when we went from 2D to 3D, it will expand again as we go from 3D to VR.

Like I said I will play it either way. There are still people that ride horses, take cruises, read books, and use outhouses. There extreamly nice and extreamly expensive horses, Cruise Ships, Books, and Outhouses, just like I expect high quality and full price 2D and 3D expereinces to live on after VR becomes the main focus. As someone that loves gaming of all kinds, I will absolutely continue to play everything from board games - VR. I just don't think an industry leading franchise like Final Fantasy that probably won't see it's next mainline installment until what, 2023?, won't be using the most advanced technology available.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
KBG29 said:

TV and M&K/Controllers is an outdated technology. AAA games should all be built in a AAA environment. VR and Motion Tracking is what defines AAA experiences now. There will still be great games for retro style TV + M&K/Controllers, but they should be coming from indies and AA teams. It will be really disappointing if Squares biggest team is still building games games based on nearly 30 old limitations by the time the next Final Fantasy arrives.

That said, I will play it either way. I would just prefer to have full controll of my body and senses with a next gen Final Fantasy, as opposed to crippling limitations of 30 year old tech.

What the heck are you on about?

VR and traditional gaming offer two completely different experiences. Games like FF have you in control of a party, which is far from ideal in VR. Seriously, how you came up with that comment and thought it was in any way insightful or reflected the reality of modern age gaming, or that VR could in any way be fit for every and any gaming experiences is beyond reason.

What you just said is like saying you won't play chess, because you'd prefer riding a real horse and go to an actual 1500 war yourself.

Last edited by Hynad - on 16 December 2017

Hynad said:
KBG29 said:

What the heck are you on about?

VR and traditional gaming offer two completely different experiences. Games like FF have you in control of a party, which is far from ideal in VR. Seriously, how you came up with that comment and thought it was in any way insightful one or reflected the reality of modern age gaming is beyond reason.

What you just said is like saying you won't play chess, because you prefer to ride a real horse and go to an actual 1500 war yourself.

Not even close, and I actually said I will play it regaurdless. I just don't expect a frachise know for pushing tech to suddenly stop taking advantage of the latest tech available, and I would honestly be dissappointed with Square Enix if they did. 

Also VR and Motion conrtols add massively to all current genres, and create the possability for genres that don't even exsist yet. Stuff like Stratagy Games, 3rd person Adventures, Platformers, Puzzlers, all benefit greatly from both the expanded FOV/Camera control, and expanded inputs that motion, gestures, plus traditional buttons offers. 

AAA franchises like Final Fantasy, Mario, Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, and many more have went through major changes to adapt to advanced technologies through the decades. These are the titles that typically set the example for next gen gaming technologies. Chess is Chess, Metal Gear is vastly different in 2017 than it was in 1987, 1997 GTA isn't even a shadow of 2017 GTA. 

Final Fantasy blew people away with 3D on PS1. Grand Theft Auto and Final Fantasy 10 set the example for the 3D games we currently have today. Final Fantasy 16 should be a benchmark title that shows the indursty and the world what VR can be.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

SegataSanshiro said:
think-man said:
Id like them to go back to pre FF X style. I wouldn't even mind if it had half the budget. I want it feel like it did when Final Fantasy could do no wrong

Then play Final Fantasy XIII. It's pretty similar to X and why I think X sucks.

Your comment made me choke on my breakfast xD. Please explain? 

More like FF5-9 than XIII,XV pr the FF7 Remake.

You know, FF gameplay, it's weird how the main gameplay is appealing in a series you enjoy huh?

Hmm, pie.

In my opinion Final Fantasy XVI (and all other main entries in the series starting from XV) should be action.
About the game world style honestly i don't care much, I like all the settings if well developed. My dream is a brand new Final Fantasy with Nomura as director as it should have been fo Versus XIII... but i think i have to wait at least XVII because he's now busy with Final Fantasy VII Remake which is one of my most anticipated game ever so far both cause of Nomura director and Remake of FFVII action based with the power of PS4.