By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - PUGB on XB1 drops to 4fps, issues also on XB1X- Digital Foundry

it's an early access title so such things are expected really.

Pay for it and accept the framerate or don't pay for it now and wait until it gets optimized with the official launch.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
DonFerrari said:

If they don't put their best efforts to bring the game you can be damn sure they would have legal issues, that clause doesn't give full protection to MS to jus stop support and development a week after or anything that isn't show good will.

Of course, but the clause isn't intended to protect MS from that kind of extreme. It's a general warning that they can't guarantee the game will be finished (it's not even theirs), and that the game can change over time. It protects them if, for example, in 2 years time a big update releases that changes the game into something someone dislikes. It's a step of distance placed between MS and the developer's long-term actions.

I personally expect MS would offer refunds even in the above example, but they're not going to put themselves in a situation that obligates them to. That disclaimer gives them some potential flexibility.

The way the disclaimer is but doesn't make it at all not get to that extreme, the way it's written and could be interpreted is full protection against any shenanigans, and that is why I said all the burden was on the customer and that is why on court it would probably be reversed if MS didn't take all the steps they can to release the game.

If people were able to earn the full 60USD back from things like MP on KZ using temporary frames to hit "1080p" with 60fps on MP then how would one not expect that they not delivering the game wouldn't generate lawsuits and wins from buyers?

Also if you launch a MP game and shut the server 6 months after you would probably face legal issues, while shutting after 5 years is less likely to generate you problems.

Captain_Yuri said:
And this shit was nominated for GOTY

Unbelievable.

Chazore said:
ThisGuyFooks said:

It's a Beta, it shouldn't be right there with proper finished games.

The nomination is a joke. 

I don't think it should, but I also don't think busted port jobs should be up for consideration either. 

Sure the busted ports shouldn't, but on this note are you saying that even the main game that is working good should be nominated because it have a shitty port or just the port shouldn't be nominated? Because although I would agree that if a game have bad versions the game as a whole shouldn't be enjoying good sales and getting prizes if they are evaluating only one version then they can say the others hold no weight on it.

jason1637 said:
ThisGuyFooks said:

It's a Beta, it shouldn't be right there with proper finished games.

The nomination is a joke. 

It's a game that was playable this year that millions of people have enjoyed. Its GOTY material.

So millions of people playing it make it a GOTY? So CoD should win GOTY every year, or the candy crush type games... the merits for GOTY isn't two dimensional "being release" "millions playing".

jason1637 said:
ThisGuyFooks said:

My post or Ludicrous post? LOL

Yours.

But on a serious note I dont see anything wrong with game preview. The game was clearly advertised to come to game preview. In all PR and trailers game preview was mentioned and when buying games I'm game preview you know the game is unfinished. Yeah they're selling an unfinished game but at the same time you're still going to get a finished game. Game Preview gives the community to voice their opinions and play while the game gets updated which can lead to a better final product. In a way its like kickstarter but you actually get access to the game while its in development. For those that don't want game released unfinished then just wait til it's done. In a few days 1.0 comes out on PC and you seem to be interested in the game so I'd suggest you give it a go.

You are going to get if it releases a finished game, they already have a fineprint saying the game may not release and they aren't responsible for it.

flashfire926 said:
Bandorr said:

Oh. Interesting.  Well I still think that is what the person meant. Even though that appears to be wrong.

I wonder how many people are buying it "now" think they will get a discount on the full version later on?

Isn't it weird to charge $30 for a "early access" version, and a full retail version?

Please stop putting words in my mouth. I never said that final version would be $60. Im just sating if you buy the game now you get access to the full version in addition to the game preview. People are acting like this is their final product @$30.

If the full game doesn't release this is all they will get. And would make no sense for you to pay in advance and then don't get the end product.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Bristow9091 said:

Really? I had the game day one and managed to play fine... maybe you're mistaking just the online with the entire game? Singleplayer worked a charm, just the multiplayer that was down, and as someone that prefers singleplayer for racing games anyway, I gave zero fucks, lol :P 

If half the game didn't work, then yes... it was broken. 

Please explain how the MP not working makes half of the game.

Pemalite said:

Got it on PC yesterday.
All Ultra, 1440P, never once dropped below 35fps. 50-55fps was the average on my 6~ year old PC.

60fps fully locked with the old 3930K @ 4.8ghz.

This game is brutal on the CPU, it does seem to use around 8~ CPU threads, but pegs one core higher than the others... It's no wonder the consoles are struggling with this though as the 8-core Jaguar is only a fraction of the power.

I found the game itself though to be extremely ugly, even on Ultra settings, could only imagine how bad it looks on the Xbox One and Xbox One X which I might get at a later date once the shiznit is ironed out.

I saw the video yesterday on base X1, that looks ugly. People were saying PS360 level of IQ, but to me it looks worse than a PS2 game. If I were going by memory this is level of Medal of Honor on PS1.

SuperNova said:
Porcupine_I said:
Can anyone still keep track on how many times the Graphics/fps vs fun argument has switched sides on the console fronts this generation?

I was fine with Splatoon coming out with limited content and free updates at a reduced pricepoint, because what was there was polished.

It delivered on smooth 60fps almost all the time and the art style and visual presentation was pleasing even if it wasn't technically the most advanced.

I think that is what most people are talking about when they say 'gameplay over visuals' while hitting the highest resolutions and prettiest details isn't requirement as long as the gameply is good, a balance is expected and graphics have to be at least good enough to not get in the way of gameplay either. To come back to my Splatoon example: If they had just pushed it out with their dummy 'soy-block' graphics I would NOT have been happy with the game at all.

FPS is part of gameplay though and does not sit on the graphics side of the argument.

I'm not on the crowd of "gameplay above graphics". But I agree with you that for a game to be enjoyable it must hit at least an acceptable level on framerate, graphics, gamedesign, gameplay, etc. Our preferences and what have more value is sure personal and may make we prefer a cinematic game or a platformer, but if the cinematic game have bad framerates or is unplayable or the platformer look ugly they shall fail.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Zekkyou said:

Of course, but the clause isn't intended to protect MS from that kind of extreme. It's a general warning that they can't guarantee the game will be finished (it's not even theirs), and that the game can change over time. It protects them if, for example, in 2 years time a big update releases that changes the game into something someone dislikes. It's a step of distance placed between MS and the developer's long-term actions.

I personally expect MS would offer refunds even in the above example, but they're not going to put themselves in a situation that obligates them to. That disclaimer gives them some potential flexibility.

The way the disclaimer is but doesn't make it at all not get to that extreme, the way it's written and could be interpreted is full protection against any shenanigans, and that is why I said all the burden was on the customer and that is why on court it would probably be reversed if MS didn't take all the steps they can to release the game.

If people were able to earn the full 60USD back from things like MP on KZ using temporary frames to hit "1080p" with 60fps on MP then how would one not expect that they not delivering the game wouldn't generate lawsuits and wins from buyers?

Also if you launch a MP game and shut the server 6 months after you would probably face legal issues, while shutting after 5 years is less likely to generate you problems.

Captain_Yuri said:
And this shit was nominated for GOTY

Unbelievable.

Chazore said:

I don't think it should, but I also don't think busted port jobs should be up for consideration either. 

Sure the busted ports shouldn't, but on this note are you saying that even the main game that is working good should be nominated because it have a shitty port or just the port shouldn't be nominated? Because although I would agree that if a game have bad versions the game as a whole shouldn't be enjoying good sales and getting prizes if they are evaluating only one version then they can say the others hold no weight on it.

jason1637 said:

It's a game that was playable this year that millions of people have enjoyed. Its GOTY material.

So millions of people playing it make it a GOTY? So CoD should win GOTY every year, or the candy crush type games... the merits for GOTY isn't two dimensional "being release" "millions playing".

jason1637 said:

Yours.

But on a serious note I dont see anything wrong with game preview. The game was clearly advertised to come to game preview. In all PR and trailers game preview was mentioned and when buying games I'm game preview you know the game is unfinished. Yeah they're selling an unfinished game but at the same time you're still going to get a finished game. Game Preview gives the community to voice their opinions and play while the game gets updated which can lead to a better final product. In a way its like kickstarter but you actually get access to the game while its in development. For those that don't want game released unfinished then just wait til it's done. In a few days 1.0 comes out on PC and you seem to be interested in the game so I'd suggest you give it a go.

You are going to get if it releases a finished game, they already have a fineprint saying the game may not release and they aren't responsible for it.

flashfire926 said:

Please stop putting words in my mouth. I never said that final version would be $60. Im just sating if you buy the game now you get access to the full version in addition to the game preview. People are acting like this is their final product @$30.

If the full game doesn't release this is all they will get. And would make no sense for you to pay in advance and then don't get the end product.

AlfredoTurkey said:

If half the game didn't work, then yes... it was broken. 

Pemalite said:

Got it on PC yesterday.
All Ultra, 1440P, never once dropped below 35fps. 50-55fps was the average on my 6~ year old PC.

60fps fully locked with the old 3930K @ 4.8ghz.

This game is brutal on the CPU, it does seem to use around 8~ CPU threads, but pegs one core higher than the others... It's no wonder the consoles are struggling with this though as the 8-core Jaguar is only a fraction of the power.

I found the game itself though to be extremely ugly, even on Ultra settings, could only imagine how bad it looks on the Xbox One and Xbox One X which I might get at a later date once the shiznit is ironed out.

I saw the video yesterday on base X1, that looks ugly. People were saying PS360 level of IQ, but to me it looks worse than a PS2 game. If I were going by memory this is level of Medal of Honor on PS1.

SuperNova said:

I was fine with Splatoon coming out with limited content and free updates at a reduced pricepoint, because what was there was polished.

It delivered on smooth 60fps almost all the time and the art style and visual presentation was pleasing even if it wasn't technically the most advanced.

I think that is what most people are talking about when they say 'gameplay over visuals' while hitting the highest resolutions and prettiest details isn't requirement as long as the gameply is good, a balance is expected and graphics have to be at least good enough to not get in the way of gameplay either. To come back to my Splatoon example: If they had just pushed it out with their dummy 'soy-block' graphics I would NOT have been happy with the game at all.

FPS is part of gameplay though and does not sit on the graphics side of the argument.

I'm not on the crowd of "gameplay above graphics". But I agree with you that for a game to be enjoyable it must hit at least an acceptable level on framerate, graphics, gamedesign, gameplay, etc. Our preferences and what have more value is sure personal and may make we prefer a cinematic game or a platformer, but if the cinematic game have bad framerates or is unplayable or the platformer look ugly they shall fail.

It's not hard to explain. There are two modes in most modern games. Online and offline. If the online works but the offline doesn't, it's not a fully functioning game. Only half of it works. 

DonFerrari said:

jason1637 said:

jason1637 said:

Yours.

well that's how GOTY sorta is already. You don't see indie games wit low sales get nominated for it. Games are about fun and if millions of people are having fun playing games like CoD or Candy Crush then its GOTY material. GOTY is subjective anyway so it differs from person to person.

Well if the game isn't finished you get refunded and I'm pretty sure that hasn't happen to game preview on Xbox.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBGXboxOne/comments/7joz2q/psa_turn_off_game_dvrgame_capture_for_more_stable/
People are saying this gives more stable frames. Might try it later.

Around the Network

do you think when they sat down and started to lay down their targetted performance there might have been a mix up in resolution and framerate numbers?

Does the game run at 60p/4fps? could just be a case that someone got the numbers the wrong way around.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

DonFerrari said:
Zekkyou said:

You're digging way too deep into this. It's a disclaimer, not an in-depth legal document. Just because you can interpret it one way, doesn't mean that is the intention. Even if MS were planning to give you universal life-time guaranteed protection from the actions of every single independent developer ever (lol), they'd still include that disclaimer because what kind of dipshit company wouldn't provide themselves with that potential flexibility? Emphasis on 'potential'.

Go look at a game on the PlayStation store. Most games have multiple disclaimers, including one which explicitly states it's a "One-time license fee". Just because that technically implies they can do all kinds of messed up things, doesn't mean they're actually planning to do so. It's there to provide them potential flexibility, and the extra 1% of protection they might one day need.

AlfredoTurkey said:
DonFerrari said:

Unbelievable.

It's not hard to explain. There are two modes in most modern games. Online and offline. If the online works but the offline doesn't, it's not a fully functioning game. Only half of it works. 

So you are generalizing from other games? Because online competition on DC is one of the various different modes in the game, so it hardly is half of the game, unless of course you are trying to flame the game. Which by the way is off-topic.

jason1637 said:
DonFerrari said:

well that's how GOTY sorta is already. You don't see indie games wit low sales get nominated for it. Games are about fun and if millions of people are having fun playing games like CoD or Candy Crush then its GOTY material. GOTY is subjective anyway so it differs from person to person.

Well if the game isn't finished you get refunded and I'm pretty sure that hasn't happen to game preview on Xbox.

Eeeerrrrr no. Being release and having sold is just a small part of the aspects, the amount of sales doesn't get evaluated on the GOTY since why Fifa and CoD doesn't win GOTY every year.

If you are saying it's GOTY material you are afirming it is among the best overall games of the year... which funny enough contradicts all that is exposed on the deficiencies of the game and also the fact that it's a preview.

Zekkyou said:
DonFerrari said:

You're digging way too deep into this. It's a disclaimer, not an in-depth legal document. Just because you can interpret it one way, doesn't mean that is the intention. Even if MS were planning to give you universal life-time guaranteed protection from the actions of every single independent developer ever (lol), they'd still include that disclaimer because what kind of dipshit company wouldn't provide themselves with that potential flexibility? Emphasis on 'potential'.

Go look at a game on the PlayStation store. Most games have multiple disclaimers, including one which explicitly states it's a "One-time license fee". Just because that technically implies they can do all kinds of messed up things, doesn't mean they're actually planning to do so. It's there to provide them potential flexibility, and the extra 1% of protection they might one day need.

And what customer should cushion the gambles of the company? If the disclaimer doesn't have any legal validity then the protection you were claiming before is null.

And the disclaimers of digital owned games is one of the things that make me very much a hard copy owner first.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SuperNova said:

Any reason why it consumes so much CPU power, beyond poor optimization?

Lots of draw calls I think.
The 100~ player count might have something to do with it as the net code needs to constantly keep track of everyone.

But it's really no excuse considering how much better Fortnight runs. It's really just poor optimization in the end.

SuperNova said:

For reference, I've never played PUBG, but from the brief pieces of trailer footage, it honestly visually looks no better than some mid tier assets flips that you see around. Completely lacks any kind of artistic direction and looks drap and dull. Add to that that they are apparently only now adding a second arena, while intending to launch the game properly next week. So it seems like it is devastatingly lacking in content as well. I just don't get it's popularity, I guess?

Visually the game looks like a dogs breakfast even on Ultra at 1440P with 16x AF.

It's not just dull... The assets in general are low quality, I swear Crysis from 10 years ago has some better textures than some of the low quality rock textures I have seen in this game.
The irony is, Microsoft threw technology and resources from Rare and The Coalition (Who are pretty much experts in Unreal Engine) and thus it should be in a far better state than it is, not just in regards to performance but visuals too.

The matches themselves also don't really go for very long... And if you parachute towards the edge of the map, you pretty much spend the majority of the round running towards the center as the game shrinks the playable area... Hopefully you don't get taken out from outside your vision during that process.

Honestly, I think the game would have benefited from a smaller island and abolished that mechanic entirely.

In the end though... This is a $30 game, so expectations and all that.

DonFerrari said:

When you first land on the ground though, with lots of shrubbery, crepuscular rays coming through the trees, it doesn't look too bad... But then at other times it looks like an Unreal Engine 3 game in terms of fidelity.

My PC on Ultra the game isn't anything to write home about, I could only imagine how terrible it would look on my Xbox One X which is a big step down from that, let alone the base Xbox One.

This isn't the game that will showcase the Xbox One X's capabilities... And honestly, I would suggest all gamers to give this game a pass and throw your support behind the vastly superior and free Fortnite instead.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

By the logic of popular/GOTY, league of legends should win goty every year, since it makes over twice/tree times as much as WoW in revenue and has over 100 million players.