Forums - General Discussion - Disney and 21st Century Fox Deal to Reportedly Close on Thursday

This is terrible. Disney owns too many IPs and pop culture assets. This also gives the Avatar, The Simpsons, Ice Age, Planet of the Apes, The X Files, Archer, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, and much more. People celebrating X-Men and F4 in the MCU are shortsighted. Too much corporate power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

I'm more worried about 2019 when the Disney/Netflix deal comes to an end. Disney wants to create a service similar to Netflix but I don't see why I should pay twice to get the same content I have today with Netflix only.

EDIT: Wait a second, if Disney acquires 21st Century Fox, they can take even more stuff out of Netflix? This is bad, very bad.

CrazyGamer2017 said:

I'm more worried about 2019 when the Disney/Netflix deal comes to an end. Disney wants to create a service similar to Netflix but I don't see why I should pay twice to get the same content I have today with Netflix only.

EDIT: Wait a second, if Disney acquires 21st Century Fox, they can take even more stuff out of Netflix? This is bad, very bad.

There's a reason Netflix is getting ready to dump like 7-8 billion dollars into original content next year

Say goodbye to any R rated franchises is/when this happens.... Although I would love to be wrong.

Signalstar said:
This is terrible. Disney owns too many IPs and pop culture assets. This also gives the Avatar, The Simpsons, Ice Age, Planet of the Apes, The X Files, Archer, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, and much more. People celebrating X-Men and F4 in the MCU are shortsighted. Too much corporate power.

Would you rather Fox be bought by something more alike itself? Would you rather Paramount or Universal swallow up Fox? At least Disney is a tad more diverse. 

CrazyGamer2017 said:

Well now Disney can justify their own thing, and it won't be all light sabers and spandex and princesses no?

Guitarguy said:
Say goodbye to any R rated franchises is/when this happens.... Although I would love to be wrong.

....You know, just because Disney makes a lot of family friendly stuff doesn't mean they can't do scary, creepy, or otherwise unsettling. Disney shows aren't all Mickey Mouse Club House and Hannah Montana, and same with movies. 

Clearly, Disney can't go into dark directions. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network
KrspaceT said:
Signalstar said:

Would you rather Fox be bought by something more alike itself? Would you rather Paramount or Universal swallow up Fox? At least Disney is a tad more diverse. 

CrazyGamer2017 said:

Well now Disney can justify their own thing, and it won't be all light sabers and spandex and princesses no?

Guitarguy said:

....You know, just because Disney makes a lot of family friendly stuff doesn't mean they can't do scary, creepy, or otherwise unsettling. Disney shows aren't all Mickey Mouse Club House and Hannah Montana, and same with movies. 

Clearly, Disney can't go into dark directions. 

Have Disney ever put out an R rated film though? Dark direction is all well and good but a would a movie like Logan or Deadpool come out from them? I'd love to be proven wrong.

Guitarguy said:

If you need R-rated franchises to validate your existence, then you better look elsewhere for the meaning of life.

Looking over this thread, you'd think all 20th Century Fox did was superhero movies.

I feel like there should be anti-trust laws that prevent buy-outs like this...but maybe I don't understand all the details behind it. Seems like Disney is just getting bigger and bigger.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:
Looking over this thread, you'd think all 20th Century Fox did was superhero movies.

I feel like there should be anti-trust laws that prevent buy-outs like this...but maybe I don't understand all the details behind it. Seems like Disney is just getting bigger and bigger.

I'm a fan of Anti-Trust laws. But assuming the deal goes through, we go from six major media networks to 5. Still plenty of competition apparently.

So from what I can tell, this is some of what Disney is going to acquire:

• 20th Century Fox - The fourth biggest movie studio in terms of revenue, with some of the all-time biggest hits like Titanic, Avatar, Independence Day, etc.
  • Fox News - One of the three big cable news networks in the USA. During the 2016 election, they had upwards of 24 million people watching simultaneously at a couple of points.
  • Fox Music - Has sold tens of millions of albums since the 90's.
  • Fox Sports Networks - A network of channels that air local sports across the USA. Notably one of the few big names in the market besides Disney's own ESPN. There are also a few other college sports channels that are not part of this network, but would be included, along with one sports channel that provides Spanish coverage.
  • FX - A TV channel and various spinoffs of it, such as FXX. Original shows include American Horror Story, Archer, Fargo, Sons of Anarchy, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
  • Hulu - Though a joint venture between four different companies, Disney's portion combined with Fox's would give them a 60% share.
  • National Geographic Channel - Fox owns most of it, with National Geographic owning a smaller portion.
  • Etc - 20+ TV stations, half of a Dutch TV production company, international TV channels

Disney could get a whole lot bigger. I'm having trouble caring about the next Marvel crossover.

Love and tolerate.