By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Disney and 21st Century Fox Deal to Reportedly Close on Thursday

Looking over this thread, you'd think all 20th Century Fox did was superhero movies.

I feel like there should be anti-trust laws that prevent buy-outs like this...but maybe I don't understand all the details behind it. Seems like Disney is just getting bigger and bigger.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
Looking over this thread, you'd think all 20th Century Fox did was superhero movies.

I feel like there should be anti-trust laws that prevent buy-outs like this...but maybe I don't understand all the details behind it. Seems like Disney is just getting bigger and bigger.

I'm a fan of Anti-Trust laws. But assuming the deal goes through, we go from six major media networks to 5. Still plenty of competition apparently.

So from what I can tell, this is some of what Disney is going to acquire:

• 20th Century Fox - The fourth biggest movie studio in terms of revenue, with some of the all-time biggest hits like Titanic, Avatar, Independence Day, etc.
  • Fox News - One of the three big cable news networks in the USA. During the 2016 election, they had upwards of 24 million people watching simultaneously at a couple of points.
  • Fox Music - Has sold tens of millions of albums since the 90's.
  • Fox Sports Networks - A network of channels that air local sports across the USA. Notably one of the few big names in the market besides Disney's own ESPN. There are also a few other college sports channels that are not part of this network, but would be included, along with one sports channel that provides Spanish coverage.
  • FX - A TV channel and various spinoffs of it, such as FXX. Original shows include American Horror Story, Archer, Fargo, Sons of Anarchy, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
  • Hulu - Though a joint venture between four different companies, Disney's portion combined with Fox's would give them a 60% share.
  • National Geographic Channel - Fox owns most of it, with National Geographic owning a smaller portion.
  • Etc - 20+ TV stations, half of a Dutch TV production company, international TV channels

Disney could get a whole lot bigger. I'm having trouble caring about the next Marvel crossover.

Love and tolerate.

I care more about the changes in fox news as for any superheroes. Will fox news be affected? Will alex jones be the new fox news for trump?

Fox News is not on the table. Disney will not acquire the news or sports arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Salnax said:

So from what I can tell, this is some of what Disney is going to acquire:

• 20th Century Fox - The fourth biggest movie studio in terms of revenue, with some of the all-time biggest hits like Titanic, Avatar, Independence Day, etc.
  • Fox News - One of the three big cable news networks in the USA. During the 2016 election, they had upwards of 24 million people watching simultaneously at a couple of points.
  • Fox Music - Has sold tens of millions of albums since the 90's.
  • Fox Sports Networks - A network of channels that air local sports across the USA. Notably one of the few big names in the market besides Disney's own ESPN. There are also a few other college sports channels that are not part of this network, but would be included, along with one sports channel that provides Spanish coverage.
  • FX - A TV channel and various spinoffs of it, such as FXX. Original shows include American Horror Story, Archer, Fargo, Sons of Anarchy, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
  • Hulu - Though a joint venture between four different companies, Disney's portion combined with Fox's would give them a 60% share.
  • National Geographic Channel - Fox owns most of it, with National Geographic owning a smaller portion.
  • Etc - 20+ TV stations, half of a Dutch TV production company, international TV channels

Disney could get a whole lot bigger. I'm having trouble caring about the next Marvel crossover.

Both Fox News and Sports are off the table. 

Though Disney owning Fox could be interesting. After all Disney has a bit of a reputation as being a liberal company, and I could see Disney getting in Fox's face and telling them to at least fact check, or tell the actual news.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Signalstar said:
This is terrible. Disney owns too many IPs and pop culture assets. This also gives the Avatar, The Simpsons, Ice Age, Planet of the Apes, The X Files, Archer, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, and much more. People celebrating X-Men and F4 in the MCU are shortsighted. Too much corporate power.

It's not a blanket sale of the entire company:

"The Disney/Fox deal would not be a complete purchase of 21st Century Fox. What's not likely to change, according to CNBC: The local Fox broadcast channel (home of Sunday NFL football and popular television shows The Simpsons and Family Guy), the company's affiliate networks and Fox News, Fox Business and Fox Sports 1 cable channels. These assets are said to remain with whatever is left of 21st Century Fox."

Disney has 3 major reasons behind this acquisition, and all of them tie into assets they currently own a sizeable stake in:

1)  Unification of the MCU
2)  Fox's perpetual rights to Star Wars: A New Hope revert to Disney, giving Disney rights to all of the Star Wars films.
3)  Increasing stake in Hulu to majority share

CrazyGamer2017 said:

I'm more worried about 2019 when the Disney/Netflix deal comes to an end. Disney wants to create a service similar to Netflix but I don't see why I should pay twice to get the same content I have today with Netflix only.

EDIT: Wait a second, if Disney acquires 21st Century Fox, they can take even more stuff out of Netflix? This is bad, very bad.

Disney might just be looking to make Hulu their streaming service rather than build a new one up from scratch.  They already have content on Hulu, and also own a 30% stake.  By buying Fox's 30% stake in Hulu as well, they will have majority stake in the platform.

"By acquiring Fox's stake, Disney would up its share in the streaming platform to a majority 60% share. With Disney already announcing plans to launch a non-sports streaming platform in 2019, it is possible the company will instead look to transform Hulu into this platform, or at the very least give itself another pawn in the future streaming media battle."

well it was fun while it lasted. Fuck Disney.

Please save the X-men... please save the X-men.

Hmm, pie.

There where some good and many mediocre and some bad X-men movies. Not every Marvel movie is great either. So down the line X-men will likely improve a bit, like Spiderman did with homecoming. Though Deadpool will probably get a total disney overhaul which is a shame. On the other hand Marvel has never been better than under Disney is flag. So it might not be as bad as we fear.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar