By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "The Nintendo Switch Is Selling Exactly As Fast As Sony's PS4" - Forbes

Do you agree with the article?

Yes, Switch will KILL the PS4! 18 12.95%

No, PS4 will remain champion! 74 53.24%

Hard to tell right now, time will only tell. 47 33.81%

Total:139
mZuzek said:
Nah, Switch is never gonna catch up to the PS4. It might have higher peaks but Nintendo consoles don't have anywhere near as long legs as PlayStation consoles. Personally I don't think the Switch is gonna hit the 100m mark (though I definitely wouldn't rule it out), whereas PS4 is going to go well above it.

Nintendo fans on VGS are likely predicting Wii levels on the first 3-4 years and PS2 levels of tail to come with predictions that may end up being over 2:1 what the system will really sell.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
StreaK said:
ZODIARKrebirth said:
i think both do great, both have exclusive games that will sell many hardware, but yeah 2018 will be a interesting year

Exactly! I always thought we only need Sony and Nintendo in the video game world. I hate to say it, but I can live without Microsoft.

Sony did it better than Sega and deserve to be where they are. Sony USED to be the new kid on the block and they came so far and look at them now. Some would argue they are the new Nintendo! As for Nintendo, they are the only company that's from the 80's and still around and kicking strong! Says a LOT about the guys who pioneered the industry. That is why I believe Nintendo will never die. The originators NEVER do!

Nintendo & PlayStation= Gamer-centric.

Xbox = Microsoft-centric

Just is.

StreaK said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/12/12/the-nintendo-switch-is-selling-exactly-as-fast-as-sonys-ps4/#744b021f7b59

Dammit, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I wanted to know if the switch sold 10 million faster only to find this article. Ughh, Switch IS doing amazing. But how long will it last? Seems like the forbes guy thinks the Switch is going to win out in the end even catching up and overtaking the PS4's sales. What's his theory??? POKEMON and the fact that the switch will also take over the 3DS as the NEW portable.

Oh oh for Sony??? DAMMIT I hope not.

Dude relax. ps4 is selling much better. the only reason switch is close because it's going through it fully stocked holiday, ps4 in it's first real holiday period sold through around 8 million, it's launch holiday doesn't really count because it sold out 4 months before launch just with preorders.

quickrick said:
StreaK said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/12/12/the-nintendo-switch-is-selling-exactly-as-fast-as-sonys-ps4/#744b021f7b59

Dammit, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I wanted to know if the switch sold 10 million faster only to find this article. Ughh, Switch IS doing amazing. But how long will it last? Seems like the forbes guy thinks the Switch is going to win out in the end even catching up and overtaking the PS4's sales. What's his theory??? POKEMON and the fact that the switch will also take over the 3DS as the NEW portable.

Dude relax. ps4 is selling much better. the only reason switch is close because it's going through it fully stocked holiday, ps4 in it's first real holiday period sold through around 8 million, it's launch holiday doesn't really count because it sold out 4 months before launch just with preorders.

Haha nice!!! Plus, the PS4 didn't have anything on par with like Zelda or Mario on launch either. 

quickrick said:
StreaK said:

Youre making things up, here are official numbers straight from Sony.

10 million as of Aug 10, 2014

18.5 million as of Jan 4, 2015

So unless PS4 only sold 500k in Aug+Sept+Oct than it didnt sell 8 million during the holidays in 2014.

This site has it at 5.7 million in Nov+Dec but it also has it overtracked by 500k in Aug-Dec.

Last edited by zorg1000 - on 12 December 2017

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
DonFerrari said:

Nintendo fans on VGS are likely predicting Wii levels on the first 3-4 years and PS2 levels of tail to come with predictions that may end up being over 2:1 what the system will really sell.

It's not completely impossible - right now it is selling on pace with the Wii, and I think there's enough reason to believe Nintendo will support the system for longer instead of dropping it out of nowhere like they did with the Wii (because Nintendo always supports handhelds considerably longer than home consoles, and unlike the Wii, the Switch can play any sort of regular, traditional game without additional accessories, which means they don't need to restrict the kinds of games they want to make, which I think was ultimately the reason why they dropped the Wii so fast). With those things in mind, it's not out of the question that the Switch could sell up to 120m or even more... I just don't see it happening, though.

Plus, the Switch is going to be the one system they're developing for going forward, as opposed to dividing their resources between two. Sometimes between three to four different systems when they were preparing to launch a new handheld and console. (N64 and GBC -> GCN and GBA; GCN and GBA -> Wii and DS; Wii and DS -> Wii U and 3DS)

Now, two systems will be the maximum that they develop for (three if you want to count mobile.) This means they will have more resources at their disposal to help ensure a strong launch for their next system (hopefully, NS2) while quietly closing the door on their old system.
We're seeing that even now with the 3DS and Switch.
Even though the Switch had a phenomenal 1st year, the 3DS still had a pretty decent 6th year between Shadows of Valentia, Samus Returns, Monster Hunter, DQXI, and Pokemon. (I know two of those games are 3rd party, but still.)

By the time the Switch could even catch up to the PS4's sales (and that's if it does), the PS5 will probably have already been out for a year or two. I see the PS5 as a 2019 release, 2020 at the latest.
Still, the Switch is doing really well so far.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Bristow9091 said:
Teeqoz said:
most people only buy 10 games per console

Who are these gameless heathens?! :o 

Yeah, people seem to forget this alot. Just check VGC's numbers for tie-ratios. While tie-ratios are on an upward trend, the highest tie-ratio yet is still only 11.7, which was the 360. Ofcourse, this doesn't include digital, so maybe I should have adjusted up a bit, I could see the current gen consoles reach attach rates of up to 15 games per console, including digital titles (but not PS+/GWG titles).

Some are confused. This was from Sony themselves.

I got second hand embarrassment from how much desperation was in your OP. Take a breather.