Forums - Gaming Discussion - "The Nintendo Switch Is Selling Exactly As Fast As Sony's PS4" - Forbes

Do you agree with the article?

Yes, Switch will KILL the PS4! 18 12.95%

No, PS4 will remain champion! 74 53.24%

Hard to tell right now, time will only tell. 47 33.81%

Total:139
mZuzek said:
DonFerrari said:

Nintendo fans on VGS are likely predicting Wii levels on the first 3-4 years and PS2 levels of tail to come with predictions that may end up being over 2:1 what the system will really sell.

It's not completely impossible - right now it is selling on pace with the Wii, and I think there's enough reason to believe Nintendo will support the system for longer instead of dropping it out of nowhere like they did with the Wii (because Nintendo always supports handhelds considerably longer than home consoles, and unlike the Wii, the Switch can play any sort of regular, traditional game without additional accessories, which means they don't need to restrict the kinds of games they want to make, which I think was ultimately the reason why they dropped the Wii so fast). With those things in mind, it's not out of the question that the Switch could sell up to 120m or even more... I just don't see it happening, though.

Plus, the Switch is going to be the one system they're developing for going forward, as opposed to dividing their resources between two. Sometimes between three to four different systems when they were preparing to launch a new handheld and console. (N64 and GBC -> GCN and GBA; GCN and GBA -> Wii and DS; Wii and DS -> Wii U and 3DS)

Now, two systems will be the maximum that they develop for (three if you want to count mobile.) This means they will have more resources at their disposal to help ensure a strong launch for their next system (hopefully, NS2) while quietly closing the door on their old system.
We're seeing that even now with the 3DS and Switch.
Even though the Switch had a phenomenal 1st year, the 3DS still had a pretty decent 6th year between Shadows of Valentia, Samus Returns, Monster Hunter, DQXI, and Pokemon. (I know two of those games are 3rd party, but still.)

Pancho A. Ovies

Nintendo Switch in Japan (Famitsu): 2018 vs. 2019
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=238945&page=2

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2018 vs. 2019
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239387

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
most people only buy 10 games per console

Who are these gameless heathens?! :o 

By the time the Switch could even catch up to the PS4's sales (and that's if it does), the PS5 will probably have already been out for a year or two. I see the PS5 as a 2019 release, 2020 at the latest.
Still, the Switch is doing really well so far.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Bristow9091 said:
Teeqoz said:

Hello

Bristow9091 said:
Teeqoz said:

Yeah, people seem to forget this alot. Just check VGC's numbers for tie-ratios. While tie-ratios are on an upward trend, the highest tie-ratio yet is still only 11.7, which was the 360. Ofcourse, this doesn't include digital, so maybe I should have adjusted up a bit, I could see the current gen consoles reach attach rates of up to 15 games per console, including digital titles (but not PS+/GWG titles).

Around the Network

Some are confused. This was from Sony themselves.

mZuzek said:
Bristow9091 said:

Hello

Eww! But seriously, get yourself some more games! :P

Teeqoz said:
Bristow9091 said:

Yeah, people seem to forget this alot. Just check VGC's numbers for tie-ratios. While tie-ratios are on an upward trend, the highest tie-ratio yet is still only 11.7, which was the 360. Ofcourse, this doesn't include digital, so maybe I should have adjusted up a bit, I could see the current gen consoles reach attach rates of up to 15 games per console, including digital titles (but not PS+/GWG titles).

I'm definitely someone who forgets that, I mean, a console generation lasts 6+ years, and knowing that people are buying less than two games per year really baffles me lol, I know I have a lot of PS3 games (Over 200) and I'm currently on around 60 PS4 games (Retail only, not digital, same with PS3) and I know that's considered a lot, but I always assumed that the average would be a lot higher than what it currently is, lol.

I got second hand embarrassment from how much desperation was in your OP. Take a breather.

Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

Great news for Nintendo! Switch is the Wii successor we deserve! It'll be interesting to see how the console/ handheld hybrid dynamic holds up. It'll be nice to see Sony & Nintendo competing (even indirectly) against each other. It benefits us gamers!

I don't think the Switch has a chance to outsell PS4 lifetime, though, none at all.

Bristow9091 said:
mZuzek said:

Hello

Eww! But seriously, get yourself some more games! :P

Teeqoz said:

I'm definitely someone who forgets that, I mean, a console generation lasts 6+ years, and knowing that people are buying less than two games per year really baffles me lol, I know I have a lot of PS3 games (Over 200) and I'm currently on around 60 PS4 games (Retail only, not digital, same with PS3) and I know that's considered a lot, but I always assumed that the average would be a lot higher than what it currently is, lol.

Dont forget about used games though, somebody can own 100+ games and not contribute at all to the tie ratio.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.