By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, was 3D World better than Odyssey? S-P-O-I-L-E-R-S

So...

3D World 14 14.89%

Odyssey 49 52.13%

Galaxy 28 29.79%

Crash is better 3 3.19%

Total:94

this game i and feels epic to me. much bigger then the other 3d mario. definitely much better then 64 and World. not sure if better then the Galaxy games...

Switch!!!

Around the Network

I've played Odyssey for more than 25 hours and i still feel the game disappoints.

Funny thing is, i had this feeling about the game that i really couldn't explain... until i saw the ending.
The ending almost had me but than they "ruined it". And this was how i finally understood what Odyssey is: 3D Mario meets animated movie.

Nintendo has never done such a thing. Unfortunately, they didn't quite get it.
For the most part the game felt not as good as other Mario games and only often i found it to be great or even amazed.

It's when you finish the game that you truly understand how limited the game actually is.
They wanted to feel you up with power moons and they ended up making it not special at all.

Also, there's not a single track on this album - despite having really great tunes - that is above the music on Shifty Boo Mansion.
The soundtrack really was the weakest link, here.

I said it before and i think it's still valid: in some parts, Odyssey is way above other Mario games. But as a whole... no.

I like both..but I would love a follow up to 3d world on the switch..me and my kids loved played that game co-op. they don't like odyssey near as much as 3d world

I haven't played Odyssey yet, but 3D World is by far one of my favorite Mario games ever.

I think there is a place for 3D World/Land type Mario games, but they should NOT be the main 3D Mario. They're NOT early-gen system sellers, they're games that capitalize on the highly active userbase volume that occurs in the mid to later-mid generation.

In other words, it's kind of like NSMB, which launched at the end of 2009.  It didn't sell consoles; but, it enjoyed incredibly high sales of nearly 30,000,000 units over the last 40% of the Wii's lifespan.

While Wii's hardware peaked in 2008, its software sales didn't peak until 2010, about 2/3rds through the generation from the 2006 Wii launch until the 2012 launch of the Wii U.

For reference purposes, 2010 was the year of Super Mario Galaxy 2, Just Dance 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Epic Mickey, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Mario Allstar Collection.

2011 and 2012 could have been strong years too, but Nintendo had switched focus to more nichecore titles like Zelda, Xenoblade, and Kirby's Dreamland - which are better suited for selling extra hardware in the early generation but are fairly terrible at capitalizing on existing userbases.

In short, I think more core Mario titles (like Odyssey) are suitable for early gen, they sell fewer, but the people who buy them will buy the console for the game.
Simpler multiplayer type Mario games (NSMB & 3D World) don't sell consoles, but are much more HIGHLY appealing to those who already have a console than the core Mario titles; the NSMBs and 3D Lands are best suited for mid to late generation when people are buying the most games.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 12 December 2017

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Nah, Odyssey bitch-slaps 3D World in pretty much every department; mechanics, controls, level design, graphics, music, but most importantly of all, soul. As polished as 3D World was, it felt uninspired and missed the spark that separates great games like Galaxy and 64 from merely good ones. Odyssey, while not perfect, recaptured that spark.

I'd likely give it to Mario Odyssey over 3D World personally. 3D World is definitely still fun, but Odyssey just feels more expansive and impressive in comparison, plus there definitely is a lot more freedom and room for exploration in MO. Nothing against 3D World though. Still love that game.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Going by the general consensus, it seems many prefer Odyssey.

I would like to hear the opinions of the same people in some years.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Mar1217 said:
Pavolink said:
Going by the general consensus, it seems many prefer Odyssey.

I would like to hear the opinions of the same people in some years.

If you waiting that long, people won't even remember 3D World :P

Well, most people forgot about 3D World a couple of months after release.

In that sense, it's pretty similar to DK Tropical Freeze.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

3D World is the most underrated Mario game. It's shit on for its linear approach, even though it is a very high-quality game for what it is. For my personal decision, I am debating on whether it's my 3rd or 4th favourite of the 3D Mario games. I put it to 4th only because I appreciate the stuff in Odyssey more.

That's why I voted Odyssey in this poll as well as the other current forum poll (3rd, behind Galaxy 1 and 2), though, because I found I liked some parts of the game a lot more than 3D World; even if I found 3D World to be the more fun and satisfying game overall.

While I appreciate what Mario 64 did WAY WAY more, I just plainly have way more fun with 3D World - 64 is a great benchmark; it's not something I ever found a great deal of enjoyment with.

But while I was playing Odyssey I had urges to replay a Galaxy game starting from the first wavy bridge you cross. I went back and completed Super Mario Galaxy 1 AND 2 before actually finishing Odyssey. I can't say the reasons for sure why I like the Galaxy games better other than they have artistic magic that goes beyond any other 3D platformers (maybe any other games) that I have ever played. I feel like a kid watching a favourite Disney film again. The Galaxy games give me the same sort of feeling that I got from playing Super Mario Bros 3 and World.

I recognize all the great features in Odyssey, but the game is like a technical marvel that doesn't quite have the magic of past Mario games.

3D World, I find, is much closer to Odyssey, but I miss the multiplayer in Odyssey, and I liked the pacing of 3D World more. But Odyssey had much more cool bits and features. Both contain excellence in design, but neither are Galaxy tier IMO.

The funny thing is I know Odyssey is supposed to supposedly be "the most open Mario game since Mario 64," but I find this is a bit of a deceptive statement. Odyssey's collection of moons is very similar to a mix of Galaxy stars and red coins - the way the worlds are constructed are still more linear feeling than the Galaxy games for the most part. Aside from a few open fields, there's a straight path from start to finish on each level. There are a few branches, but this has existed in Mario since the beginning of the series.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.