By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global hardware Nov 4th 2017

Excellent sales for the PS4!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

This is the 3rd time i have to say this. i never once compared COD/FIFA to Mario/Zelda, that was never the argument.

The whole discussion started because somebody asked what big games did PS4 have in 2014 and i made a list of over a dozen big games that released that year. Somebody then said they are multiplat as an argument and i replied COD/FIFA/etc are big system sellers regardless of being multiplat.

Thats when you started going on about COD/FIFA vs Mario/Zelda.

Because that is the origin of the comparison. The person put that Switch strong release was linked to have the alleged 2 best games ever selling a lot of system, and them you go there and list those games and call them big system seller just the same wording the guy used for Zelda and Mario.

So unless you have a tendency to use the same word to describe different things you were putting they on similar group. And something that push 100k sales isn't near 5M.

The thing is i didnt just list COD/FIFA but you keep singling out those two games.

i listed COD, FIFA, Madden, NBA, GTA, Assassins Creed, Destiny, Watch Dogs, Far Cry, Dragon Age, Need for Speed, Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid, The Crew, DriveClub, Infamous, Shadow of Mordor, Alien: Isolation, Evil Within, Wofenstein, Thief, WWE, MLB, UFC, Sniper Elite, LittleBigPlanet.

But yes lets keeps arguing about things i never said.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Because that is the origin of the comparison. The person put that Switch strong release was linked to have the alleged 2 best games ever selling a lot of system, and them you go there and list those games and call them big system seller just the same wording the guy used for Zelda and Mario.

So unless you have a tendency to use the same word to describe different things you were putting they on similar group. And something that push 100k sales isn't near 5M.

The thing is i didnt just list COD/FIFA but you keep singling out those two games.

i listed COD, FIFA, Madden, NBA, GTA, Assassins Creed, Destiny, Watch Dogs, Far Cry, Dragon Age, Need for Speed, Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid, The Crew, DriveClub, Infamous, Shadow of Mordor, Alien: Isolation, Evil Within, Wofenstein, Thief, WWE, MLB, UFC, Sniper Elite, LittleBigPlanet.

Sure list flops, yearly releases, remaster, etc as big games and system sellers all together... make so much sense.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

zorg1000 said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Yes they are indeed huge sellers! But I thought the discussion was about them being like BOTW big or SMO big because BOTW had like over 1 100% attach rate....THAT is another level of big lol. But no one would ever deny that COD and FIFA are huge system sellers on PS$....I hope they wouldn't anyway....that would be crazy lol.

No, thats what Don keeps trying to make the argumet about but i never once stated they were.

The whole argument started because somebody asked what big games PS4 had in 2014 so i made a list of the big hitters including COD, FIFA, Madden, NBA, Assassin's Creed, Destiny, GTAV, Watch Dogs, Dragon Age, Evil Within, Last of Us, Nathan Drake Collection, etc.

Somehow that evolved into people telling me COD/FIFA arent as big of system sellers as Mario/Zelda, which again i never said they were.

Ahhhhhhh okay I got you now.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

Sure list flops, yearly releases, remaster, etc as big games and system sellers all together... make so much sense.

Barely any of those games are flops, a franchise being yearly doesnt matter when we are talking about a consoles first year and many remasters are huge sellers.

If these games werent system sellers than why the did PS4 sell 18.5 million in ~13 months?

The amount of rediculous shit people will come up with to make it seem like PS4 is at this huge disadvantage against Switch is getting out of hand.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Barely any of those games are flops, a franchise being yearly doesnt matter when we are talking about a consoles first year and many remasters are huge sellers.

If these games werent system sellers than why the did PS4 sell 18.5 million in ~13 months?

The amount of rediculous shit people will come up with to make it seem like PS4 is at this huge disadvantage against Switch is getting out of hand.

PS4 wasn't at any disadvantage. But to list those games as the reason PS4 was a success then you would have to explain X1 having those games and not being a success, which will show you that the games themselves weren't system sellers.

Don't forget the narrative that PS3 and PS4 "doesn't have games". A great part of the success of PS4 have more to do with the "greatness awaits", the confidence from customers that the system will have great games in the future, much more than now.

Sure few of those were flops, but listing all as big games and big system seller and mixing all of those make your list fall flat.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

PS4 wasn't at any disadvantage. But to list those games as the reason PS4 was a success then you would have to explain X1 having those games and not being a success, which will show you that the games themselves weren't system sellers.

Don't forget the narrative that PS3 and PS4 "doesn't have games". A great part of the success of PS4 have more to do with the "greatness awaits", the confidence from customers that the system will have great games in the future, much more than now.

Sure few of those were flops, but listing all as big games and big system seller and mixing all of those make your list fall flat.

The reason any console succeeds is a combination of hardware, software, marketing & price.

PS4 & Switch both meet all 4 of those criteria and that is why they are both doing great.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

The reason any console succeeds is a combination of hardware, software, marketing & price.

PS4 & Switch both meet all 4 of those criteria and that is why they are both doing great.

Sure thing. Still that show your list didn't compromise only big system sellers as you first was trying and you skipped that.

trasharmdsister12 said:
DonFerrari said:

So more than a dozen million people bought a PS4 in the first year just to wait for the games to come and not play anything? Fact is having all those games in addition to confidence that more defining experiences were coming as well as a clear policy set from Sony is what made PS4's fly off the shelves all the way from launch until now and into the foreseeable future. It's not just one thing. It's a bunch of factors working together. Whether one identifies those games as system sellers or not is up to one's own agenda but no one can completely negate their effect on hardware sales early in the generation. 

And the X1 may have had these same games but as you yourself have put it, consumer confidence was at a low with the brand due to policies and treatment of compelling first party content at the tail end of last gen. And yet the XB1 still went on to sell really strong numbers for that first year. Not record-setting, but strong nonetheless. That is again attributable to a multitude of things (less so on consumer confidence and policy), one being having these experiences. 

Well for MS they threated X1 as record breaking, but let's not dwelve there.

Sure having all those games contributed to the success. But two dozen games together helping create interest versus a single game being the system seller are very different situation and that is the whole point from that thread.

DonFerrari said:
trasharmdsister12 said:

So more than a dozen million people bought a PS4 in the first year just to wait for the games to come and not play anything? Fact is having all those games in addition to confidence that more defining experiences were coming as well as a clear policy set from Sony is what made PS4's fly off the shelves all the way from launch until now and into the foreseeable future. It's not just one thing. It's a bunch of factors working together. Whether one identifies those games as system sellers or not is up to one's own agenda but no one can completely negate their effect on hardware sales early in the generation. 

And the X1 may have had these same games but as you yourself have put it, consumer confidence was at a low with the brand due to policies and treatment of compelling first party content at the tail end of last gen. And yet the XB1 still went on to sell really strong numbers for that first year. Not record-setting, but strong nonetheless. That is again attributable to a multitude of things (less so on consumer confidence and policy), one being having these experiences. 

Well for MS they threated X1 as record breaking, but let's not dwelve there.

Sure having all those games contributed to the success. But two dozen games together helping create interest versus a single game being the system seller are very different situation and that is the whole point from that thread.

In terms of worldwide sales, I think the XB1 does have the record for highest ever day 1/week 1 sales.