By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global hardware Nov 4th 2017

derpysquirtle64 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Was it MS letting go, or ActiVision wanting more money at little risk?

It should be pretty obvious that Activision wanted more money than before because some sort of exclusivity and marketing for smaller userbase is always more expensive. But MS really should have paid them. You can just take a look at 2015 and what boost PS4 had because of Call Of Duty deal.

Well, I don't know whether or not Activision were willing to go with MS.

Around the Network
torok said:
kazuyamishima said:
Now we will see the " But Switch is supply constrained"

which BTW it's only in Japan.

Do we have confirmation it is in stock in the US and EU? I would believe that it could be in stock in the EU, but hardly in the US.

Amazon is out. But Walmart, Bestbuy, Target, and Gamestop  have both skus in stock.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

ThisGuyFooks said:
Intrinsic said:

yh... its the whole myopic view thing.

On one hand you have platform A with that has 2 games that will sell 1M consoles each.

On the other hand you have platform B that has 12 games that will sell 300K consoles each.

Platform B doesn't have games that are as big system sellers as console A, but it has a lot of them and thus ends up selling more consoles attached to games than platform A.

This has been sony's strategy since the PS1. Yet its still hard for a lot to see...... sony doesn't care to have that one game that sells 12 to 15M copies in that one or two genres. They want to have a game in every genre that sells very well and even in genres people didn't even think they wanted.

Agreed.

It is also healthier for the market.

I would rather 10 games selling 1 million each, than 1 game selling 10 million and 9 games flopping.

With Playstation, you DONT have to like every exclusive.

I like Uncharted, don't like Gran Turismo. I like Ni No Kuni, don't like Nioh. That is FINE. That is the point of having an extensive and varied catalog of games.

There are consoles that if you don't like X or Y genre, well...there goes 70% of its catalog.

And that's why so many people buy the console cause there's something for everyone. 

It was one of my main criticisms back when Xbox had exclusives, they were all shooters. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ryuzaki57 said:

I'm quite surprised at XB1 being close to Switch numbers in EU. And that's actually one week before XB1X, right?

Xbox did pretty good this whole year in Europe, while for the Switch it's the other way around. Especially in Germany and France, where the XBO is out to make it's best year by far this year.

Incredible numbers that could possibly be undertracked? Sony did announce 70 Million sold through by December!

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
torok said:

Do we have confirmation it is in stock in the US and EU? I would believe that it could be in stock in the EU, but hardly in the US.

Amazon is out. But Walmart, Bestbuy, Target, and Gamestop  have both skus in stock.

Amazon is out of stock until december 20th or something.

The rest seems to have plenty of stock.

What a strong week for PS4, and even in Japan it was only 1:2 of Switch while making heads in all other markets to such an extent.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

pastro243 said:
Well, this shows games like cod and fifa do wonders for hardware for market leaders too. I remember people saying both wouldn't have any effect as "anyone who wanted cod/fifa would already have a ps4"

This week was huge and the fifa week was too, casual and core gamers that had old consoles wait for these games to upgrade/jump in, sony was smart to get these marketing rights

I'm here, so you can name down...

So we are know comparing a 100k bump WoW with what Zelda and Mario done?

zorg1000 said:
pastro243 said:
Well, this shows games like cod and fifa do wonders for hardware for market leaders too. I remember people saying both wouldn't have any effect as "anyone who wanted cod/fifa would already have a ps4"

This week was huge and the fifa week was too, casual and core gamers that had old consoles wait for these games to upgrade/jump in, sony was smart to get these marketing rights

Which makes it even funnier that people are arguing with me about how big of system sellers these two franchises are in the NPD thread.

And this thread proves that they aren't nearly as big.

Intrinsic said:
pastro243 said:

Unfortunately its a sad but ever present misconception. They don't see that those games are casual games. They are the kinda games that some people buy and have it be the only game they have. A FIFA box so to speak. They also don't see that whenever prices drop or there is another deal there are people that always wanted in on that that can now afford to get in.

zorg1000 said:

Which makes it even funnier that people are arguing with me about how big of system sellers these two franchises are in the NPD thread.

I don't get it either..... but it happens. Its also funny to me that people treat the market like this finite constant, but don't take into account that every single year there are people that are coming of age and fall into the console buying bracket. So every year certain games will bring in new people that may very well be new to console gaming.

Just imagine how many people turned 10 this year worldwide and wanna play FIFA or COD......

Yes there are new entrants all the time, but on a comparison of system seller the point of comparing the release of Switch with Zelda and Mario with yearly titles was the point.

And Zelda and Mario isn't even 1M system seller, they are much above that as several people would buy the console only for those games.

Also unfortunately there are people that buy a system to keep playing only a single game the whole year.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
pastro243 said:

zorg1000 said:

Intrinsic said:

Unfortunately its a sad but ever present misconception. They don't see that those games are casual games. They are the kinda games that some people buy and have it be the only game they have. A FIFA box so to speak. They also don't see that whenever prices drop or there is another deal there are people that always wanted in on that that can now afford to get in.

I don't get it either..... but it happens. Its also funny to me that people treat the market like this finite constant, but don't take into account that every single year there are people that are coming of age and fall into the console buying bracket. So every year certain games will bring in new people that may very well be new to console gaming.

Just imagine how many people turned 10 this year worldwide and wanna play FIFA or COD......

Yes there are new entrants all the time, but on a comparison of system seller the point of comparing the release of Switch with Zelda and Mario with yearly titles was the point.

And Zelda and Mario isn't even 1M system seller, they are much above that as several people would buy the console only for those games.

Also unfortunately there are people that buy a system to keep playing only a single game the whole year.

This is the 3rd time i have to say this. i never once compared COD/FIFA to Mario/Zelda, that was never the argument.

The whole discussion started because somebody asked what big games did PS4 have in 2014 and i made a list of over a dozen big games that released that year. Somebody then said they are multiplat as an argument and i replied COD/FIFA/etc are big system sellers regardless of being multiplat.

Thats when you started going on about COD/FIFA vs Mario/Zelda.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

This is the 3rd time i have to say this. i never once compared COD/FIFA to Mario/Zelda, that was never the argument.

The whole discussion started because somebody asked what big games did PS4 have in 2014 and i made a list of over a dozen big games that released that year. Somebody then said they are multiplat as an argument and i replied COD/FIFA/etc are big system sellers regardless of being multiplat.

Thats when you started going on about COD/FIFA vs Mario/Zelda.

Because that is the origin of the comparison. The person put that Switch strong release was linked to have the alleged 2 best games ever selling a lot of system, and them you go there and list those games and call them big system seller just the same wording the guy used for Zelda and Mario.

So unless you have a tendency to use the same word to describe different things you were putting they on similar group. And something that push 100k sales isn't near 5M.