By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global hardware Nov 4th 2017

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

PS4 wasn't at any disadvantage. But to list those games as the reason PS4 was a success then you would have to explain X1 having those games and not being a success, which will show you that the games themselves weren't system sellers.

Don't forget the narrative that PS3 and PS4 "doesn't have games". A great part of the success of PS4 have more to do with the "greatness awaits", the confidence from customers that the system will have great games in the future, much more than now.

Sure few of those were flops, but listing all as big games and big system seller and mixing all of those make your list fall flat.

PS4 wasn't just cheaper than the XB1 but it was also deemed to be more powerful as all those games ran better on the PS4. Which also meant that the "PS4" version was what was shown and used in reviews. Thats aka mindshare.

PS4 also didn't have an always online and no sharing scandal riding into the launch window.

I really can't understand how you can look at some of the best selling game IPs across generations and say that they in no way impact system sales. There are a lot of people that jumped into this gen just to play the latest madden, COD, NBA2k or FIFA. If the best place to play those games is percieved to be the PS4 then those games represent system sellers for the PS4.

Nope I haven't said they didn't impact the system sales. I said they individually aren't big system seller. Because the retort made was just listing almost all games on PS4 as big system seller against the release of Switch with Zelda and Mario shortly after.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

Sure, a couple of the games performed worse than i had remembered but the point remains the same, PS4 had a whole bunch of multimillion selling games and some of the biggest franchises in history in its first year.

That much is true, but your stretch to call all of them system seller is untrue.

Thats the thing, i never claimed they were, just one more thing you are arguing about that i never said.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

That much is true, but your stretch to call all of them system seller is untrue.

Thats the thing, i never claimed they were, just one more thing you are arguing about that i never said.

So you responded to a post that talked about Nintendo releasing with big system sellers namely Zelda and Mario, with a list of games you considered big system sellers without making any exclusion but that wasn't what you ment?

Let's look at those quotes?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

So you responded to a post that talked about Nintendo releasing with big system sellers namely Zelda and Mario, with a list of games you considered big system sellers without making any exclusion but that wasn't what you ment?

Let's look at those quotes?

No, i responded to a person who asked what big games did PS4 have in 2014, i responded with a list of its big games (a couple of which werent as big as i remembered).

Nothing more, nothing less but you keep trying to turn this into an argument about things i never claimed.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Megiddo said: 
I'm curious, what was the library of games like for the PS4 in November 2014, since that's what keeps getting brought up?

Switch has two of Nintendo's most popular icons leading the charge and the follow-up to its best selling new IP in its first year. There is no question that this has been an absolute killing of year in terms of iconic releases for Switch. I don't recall PS4 having nearly as good of an opening year in terms of the BIG releases, but is that just cause I can't remember that far back?

Zelda BotW, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey are all huge must-own games for the Switch, so why would people put off purchasing one during the holidays this year if not for price aversion?

February-Thief, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare

March-Infamous: Second Son, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

April-MLB 14: The Show, Final Fantasy XIV

May-Wolfenstein: The New Order, Watch Dogs

June-EA Sports UFC, Sniper Elite III

July-The Last of Us

August-Infamous: First Light, Madden 15

September-Destiny, FIFA 15

October-The Evil Within, Alien: Isolation, WWE 2K15, NBA 2K15, DriveClub, Nathan Drake Collection

November-Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed: Unity, Grand Theft Auto V, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Far Cry 4, LittleBigPlanet 3

December-The Crew

PS4 had a ton of huge games in 2014. Nov alone had Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed & Grand Theft Auto, thats huge.

Thats his post and my reply. I never said each game is a system seller and i never said any of them was a bigger system seller than Mario/Zelda.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Megiddo said: 
I'm curious, what was the library of games like for the PS4 in November 2014, since that's what keeps getting brought up?

Switch has two of Nintendo's most popular icons leading the charge and the follow-up to its best selling new IP in its first year. There is no question that this has been an absolute killing of year in terms of iconic releases for Switch. I don't recall PS4 having nearly as good of an opening year in terms of the BIG releases, but is that just cause I can't remember that far back?

Zelda BotW, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey are all huge must-own games for the Switch, so why would people put off purchasing one during the holidays this year if not for price aversion?

February-Thief, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare

March-Infamous: Second Son, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

April-MLB 14: The Show, Final Fantasy XIV

May-Wolfenstein: The New Order, Watch Dogs

June-EA Sports UFC, Sniper Elite III

July-The Last of Us

August-Infamous: First Light, Madden 15

September-Destiny, FIFA 15

October-The Evil Within, Alien: Isolation, WWE 2K15, NBA 2K15, DriveClub, Nathan Drake Collection

November-Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed: Unity, Grand Theft Auto V, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Far Cry 4, LittleBigPlanet 3

December-The Crew

PS4 had a ton of huge games in 2014. Nov alone had Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed & Grand Theft Auto, thats huge.

Thats his post and my reply. I never said each game is a system seller and i never said any of them was a bigger system seller than Mario/Zelda.

Ok then, my wrong on understanding it wrong.

The PS4 is absolutely crushing it. I'm waiting for the games chart to catch up cause there must be some big release to account for this Nov 4th hardware chart's PS4 sales. (Yeah sorry I can't remember right now what big PS4 game came at that time).

I expect the Switch to be tougher to beat in the weeks following this chart though.

CrazyGamer2017 said:

The PS4 is absolutely crushing it. I'm waiting for the games chart to catch up cause there must be some big release to account for this Nov 4th hardware chart's PS4 sales. (Yeah sorry I can't remember right now what big PS4 game came at that time).

I expect the Switch to be tougher to beat in the weeks following this chart though.

Wasnt it Call of Duty week?

DonFerrari said:
pastro243 said:
Well, this shows games like cod and fifa do wonders for hardware for market leaders too. I remember people saying both wouldn't have any effect as "anyone who wanted cod/fifa would already have a ps4"

This week was huge and the fifa week was too, casual and core gamers that had old consoles wait for these games to upgrade/jump in, sony was smart to get these marketing rights

I'm here, so you can name down...

So we are know comparing a 100k bump WoW with what Zelda and Mario done?

I didn't even know it was you or that there was a parallel discussion on another thread, I recall reading it earlier this year.

I never said I consider them on that level, Nintendo consoles have their software sales very focused on nintendo games and they are bigger system pushers for sure. Still, my point is that these games keep bringing a new crowd of gamers each year despite being multiplatform and annual releases, which is why I think Sony's deal with EA and Activision was a right move. 

I still expect games like TLOU 2 to move more hardware on an opening week since big exclusives do that BTW

Normchacho said:
torok said:

Do we have confirmation it is in stock in the US and EU? I would believe that it could be in stock in the EU, but hardly in the US.

Amazon is out. But Walmart, Bestbuy, Target, and Gamestop  have both skus in stock.

kazuyamishima said:
Normchacho said:

Amazon is out. But Walmart, Bestbuy, Target, and Gamestop  have both skus in stock.

Amazon is out of stock until december 20th or something.

The rest seems to have plenty of stock.

Oh, I see. Well, Amazon being out really dowsn't matter because people will just buy on any of the other ones. So it seems that the only place where we can still see more potential for Switch is Japan, the rest seems to have settled. Not that this is bad, the numbers are great.