By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - J.K. Rowling finally addresses Johnny Depp's casting as Grindelwald in Fantastic Beasts franchise

kowenicki said:
Rowling... just another celebrity SJW without a clue (who says a lot but does nothing especially if it directly affect her). Horrible, horrible woman who should stfu.

I do find it ironic when people use the term SJW as an insult, then use the tag as a reason to justify why said person is an awful human being. It's usually along the lines of '"I used to get away with this awful action, but all of a sudden people are calling me out on it. Damn SJW's. They're the scum of the earth."

Also, given Rowling lived on the poverty line for years before she found success with Harry Potter would suggest she has a clue. I have no idea what your background is, but if you've never lived on the poverty line then she will have much more of a clue than you, and definitely more than me.

Around the Network

His private life doesn't have anything to do with his acting though. Or should everyone who has done something wrong in their life be banned from ever working again?

Nem said:
Nogamez said:

Wait what? Only fat people can be physically abusive? Im confused right now

It is beyond me how that is what you read from that.

You said " depp is a skinny guy. There is no way he abused anybody" suggesting that skinny people cant abuse people. How the fuck else you think i read that? You basically wrote it?

Until anything is actually proven people need to stop attacking peoples lives.

Before people start calling for a recast were the abuse allegations ever actually proven or had any evidence suggesting such?

Around the Network
Flilix said:
His private life doesn't have anything to do with his acting though. Or should everyone who has done something wrong in their life be banned from ever working again?

What? It was potential abuse. Of course she needed to look into it. 

shikamaru317 said:
Wyrdness said:
Before people start calling for a recast were the abuse allegations ever actually proven or had any evidence suggesting such?

She released a picture of a bloody lip supposedly caused by Johnny to People magazine, but as far as I know that is the closest thing to actual evidence that was ever released to the public. If there was any other evidence which was presented in their divorce hearing, it was never made public to my knowledge. And of course, a bloody lip could have been faked, she could have done it to herself or had a friend do it in an attempt to get more money in the divorce. We will never know for sure what happened.

She'd also released pictures before then but after the split showing her with zero injury.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Nem said:
spurgeonryan said:

Supposedly he may have been abusive to his ex. 

I'm getting really sick of this victimization wave.

Most of the stories are complete BS. Only the Harvey Weinstein story seems worth the attention and consequences. Well, and the senate candidate that may have committed pedophilia.

The consequences are being far out of whack compared to the transgressions.

Honestly, Depp is a skinny guy. There's no way he abused anyone (except verbally). It's nonsense.

'Victimization wave'? You realize that these specefic allegations against Depp dropped way before the Weistein stuff ever was known to the wider public?

Besides, 'Only the Weinstein story seems worth the attention'? What is that supposed to mean? Is regular old sexual harrassment and attempted rape of a minor not worth a mention to you? Is it only worth a mention once you've assimilated hundreds of victims? Also how are 'most stories complete BS' when people like Louis CK and Kevin Spacey have basically admitted to what they've done?

These sexual harrassment allegations coming out of hollywood aren't new to anyone who payed a little attention over the years. Cory Fieldman has been shouting it from the rooftops for years. Is it that hard to believe that a lot of young people starting out in the industry receive unwanted attentions from people who are in positions of power?

Also wich consequences are being 'far out of whack compared to the transgressions'? Powerful men in the insdustry almost never suffer lasting consequences for violence against others, look no further than Chris Brown or OJ Simpson for that. If anything the consequences to being an absolute shit heel of a human being are comparably very limited as long as you are rich and powerful. These people behave like this because they can get away with it, sometimes forever like Jimmy Savile.

As for this specific case, I don't think any of Amber Heads allegations were ever proven in court, since they ended up settling if I remember correctly. Add to that, that they came out during a messy divorce and you will get a lot of people automatically discounting her claims and assuming that she had ultirior motives for them. Depp is clearly no saint either, he's probably a pretty severe alcoholic, judging by his many drunk public appearances an general bloat, but that does not neccessarily make him a wife beater.

In this situation you are cought between 'innocent until proven guilty' and 'where there's smoke, there's fire'. Cosby's and Weinsteins transgressions were open secrets in the industry for years before they went public, in much the same manner as we are pretty sure that Nobel Price winner Bob Dylan is a wife beater and beloved cult directors Woody Allen and Roman Polanski are child rapists. Of course no one is being thrown into jail over an unsubstatiated allegation and neither should they be, but people have a right to question the continued money, attention and adoration these people recieve as well.

While in the absence of evidence, there's no objective right or wrong to casting Depp here, Rowling was expected to take a stand one way or the other and by refusing to do so, she basically repeated the behaviour that she condemed in others, so I get why some of her fans are upset with her.

Only casting issue I ever had with her was her "British only" policy that kept Robin Williams from being Hagrid despite his interest.

Not that I didn't like Goldeneye's Valentin in the role, but for whatever reason Robin Williams just seems to nail the part whenever it's a character with a beard haha... Just wish I had one more classic role for him to watch :p

Nogamez said:
Nem said:

It is beyond me how that is what you read from that.

You said " depp is a skinny guy. There is no way he abused anybody" suggesting that skinny people cant abuse people. How the fuck else you think i read that? You basically wrote it?

No, it suggested i don't think Depp is someone who wouldn't do so based on his stature and personality. 

Don't put words on my mouth. This is not a thing you can go and generalize. I didn't make a generalization.

Tbh this is how it is. If there was abuse, the wife should have reported it to the authorities. Whoever is just talking crap now because #metoo makes it leet get no recognition from me. Especially in cases where it's very harmless stuff costing people their jobs. It is not right and i will say it how it is.

Like if it is a proper case of sexual abuse, like Weinstein i am totally supportive. But BS like "oh he was mean to me. He made a move on me and i wasn't into it. He went away after rejected but i am oh so scarred!" gets zero support from me.

Last edited by Nem - on 10 December 2017