By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - J.K. Rowling finally addresses Johnny Depp's casting as Grindelwald in Fantastic Beasts franchise

Wyrdness said:
Before people start calling for a recast were the abuse allegations ever actually proven or had any evidence suggesting such?

This was released   http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/full-shocking-video-johnny-depp-8621857 then further accusations of physical abuse before a settlement.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 10 December 2017

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Nem said:
spurgeonryan said:

Supposedly he may have been abusive to his ex. 

I'm getting really sick of this victimization wave.

Most of the stories are complete BS. Only the Harvey Weinstein story seems worth the attention and consequences. Well, and the senate candidate that may have committed pedophilia.

The consequences are being far out of whack compared to the transgressions.

Honestly, Depp is a skinny guy. There's no way he abused anyone (except verbally). It's nonsense.

The thing is, that these idiots in the internet (not naming any specific group here), think that when she casts a blame on someone, he should be convicted just based on the accusation.

I'm not saying the abuse didn't happen, just that you need some proof before anyone should be convicted.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

SuperNova said:
Nem said:

Most of the stories are complete BS. Only the Harvey Weinstein story seems worth the attention and consequences. Well, and the senate candidate that may have committed pedophilia.

Honestly, Depp is a skinny guy. There's no way he abused anyone (except verbally). It's nonsense.

'Victimization wave'? You realize that these specefic allegations against Depp dropped way before the Weistein stuff ever was known to the wider public?

Besides, 'Only the Weinstein story seems worth the attention'? What is that supposed to mean? Is regular old sexual harrassment and attempted rape of a minor not worth a mention to you? Is it only worth a mention once you've assimilated hundreds of victims? Also how are 'most stories complete BS' when people like Louis CK and Kevin Spacey have basically admitted to what they've done?

These sexual harrassment allegations coming out of hollywood aren't new to anyone who payed a little attention over the years. Cory Fieldman has been shouting it from the rooftops for years. Is it that hard to believe that a lot of young people starting out in the industry receive unwanted attentions from people who are in positions of power?

Also wich consequences are being 'far out of whack compared to the transgressions'? Powerful men in the insdustry almost never suffer lasting consequences for violence against others, look no further than Chris Brown or OJ Simpson for that. If anything the consequences to being an absolute shit heel of a human being are comparably very limited as long as you are rich and powerful. These people behave like this because they can get away with it, sometimes forever like Jimmy Savile.

As for this specific case, I don't think any of Amber Heads allegations were ever proven in court, since they ended up settling if I remember correctly. Add to that, that they came out during a messy divorce and you will get a lot of people automatically discounting her claims and assuming that she had ultirior motives for them. Depp is clearly no saint either, he's probably a pretty severe alcoholic, judging by his many drunk public appearances an general bloat, but that does not neccessarily make him a wife beater.

In this situation you are cought between 'innocent until proven guilty' and 'where there's smoke, there's fire'. Cosby's and Weinsteins transgressions were open secrets in the industry for years before they went public, in much the same manner as we are pretty sure that Nobel Price winner Bob Dylan is a wife beater and beloved cult directors Woody Allen and Roman Polanski are child rapists. Of course no one is being thrown into jail over an unsubstatiated allegation and neither should they be, but people have a right to question the continued money, attention and adoration these people recieve as well.

While in the absence of evidence, there's no objective right or wrong to casting Depp here, Rowling was expected to take a stand one way or the other and by refusing to do so, she basically repeated the behaviour that she condemed in others, so I get why some of her fans are upset with her.

Sure, let's generalise and dramatise more.

This is very simple:

Crimes = yes, there should be consequences.

Non crimes = you are just being an attention seeking person that should be ignored.

bdbdbd said:
Nem said:

The thing is, that these idiots in the internet (not naming any specific group here), think that when she casts a blame on someone, he should be convicted just based on the accusation.

I'm not saying the abuse didn't happen, just that you need some proof before anyone should be convicted.

Pretty much. Everyone is innocent until proven otherwise (if it's even a crime!).

I support "victims" if they are indeed victims of a crime.

If not, quite honestly they should be prosecuted because of undue damages done.

Last edited by Nem - on 11 December 2017

And they will be happy with the money made.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nem said:
SuperNova said:

'Victimization wave'? You realize that these specefic allegations against Depp dropped way before the Weistein stuff ever was known to the wider public?

Besides, 'Only the Weinstein story seems worth the attention'? What is that supposed to mean? Is regular old sexual harrassment and attempted rape of a minor not worth a mention to you? Is it only worth a mention once you've assimilated hundreds of victims? Also how are 'most stories complete BS' when people like Louis CK and Kevin Spacey have basically admitted to what they've done?

These sexual harrassment allegations coming out of hollywood aren't new to anyone who payed a little attention over the years. Cory Fieldman has been shouting it from the rooftops for years. Is it that hard to believe that a lot of young people starting out in the industry receive unwanted attentions from people who are in positions of power?

Also wich consequences are being 'far out of whack compared to the transgressions'? Powerful men in the insdustry almost never suffer lasting consequences for violence against others, look no further than Chris Brown or OJ Simpson for that. If anything the consequences to being an absolute shit heel of a human being are comparably very limited as long as you are rich and powerful. These people behave like this because they can get away with it, sometimes forever like Jimmy Savile.

As for this specific case, I don't think any of Amber Heads allegations were ever proven in court, since they ended up settling if I remember correctly. Add to that, that they came out during a messy divorce and you will get a lot of people automatically discounting her claims and assuming that she had ultirior motives for them. Depp is clearly no saint either, he's probably a pretty severe alcoholic, judging by his many drunk public appearances an general bloat, but that does not neccessarily make him a wife beater.

In this situation you are cought between 'innocent until proven guilty' and 'where there's smoke, there's fire'. Cosby's and Weinsteins transgressions were open secrets in the industry for years before they went public, in much the same manner as we are pretty sure that Nobel Price winner Bob Dylan is a wife beater and beloved cult directors Woody Allen and Roman Polanski are child rapists. Of course no one is being thrown into jail over an unsubstatiated allegation and neither should they be, but people have a right to question the continued money, attention and adoration these people recieve as well.

While in the absence of evidence, there's no objective right or wrong to casting Depp here, Rowling was expected to take a stand one way or the other and by refusing to do so, she basically repeated the behaviour that she condemed in others, so I get why some of her fans are upset with her.

This is very simple:

Non crimes = you are just being an attention seeking person that should be ignored.

bdbdbd said:

Pretty much. Everyone is innocent until proven otherwise (if it's even a crime!).

If not, quote honestly they should be prosecuted because of undue damages done.

I suppose your voting for Moore tomorrow.

All those stupid ass attention whores trying to get him in trouble. Where is the evidence. 

Around the Network
Nem said:
SuperNova said:

This is very simple:

So you had nothing to say about the multitude of questions I asked about your comments on the matter or any of the confirmed information I brought into the topic and proceed to answer in the most generalized and dumbed down manner possible, but I'm the one who is generalizing and dramatizing?

As for your comment itself, we have an entire justice system dedicated only to finding out and proving if a crime took place. We still see this system fail to provide victims with justice or even manage to convict the correct person for any given crime on a daily basis. This is clearly not very simple.

But you knew that.

I'm sad to see that you are not interested in actual intelligent discourse.  Have a nice day.

irstupid said:
Nem said:

This is very simple:

All those stupid ass attention whores trying to get him in trouble. Where is the evidence. 

I'm not american and i would never vote for someone like that for many reasons. 

If theres proof he is guilty and given that theres several different cases it's probably true, charges should be pressed.

Last edited by Nem - on 11 December 2017

SuperNova said:
Nem said:

This is very simple:

So you had nothing to say about the multitude of questions I asked about your comments on the matter or any of the confirmed information I brought into the topic and proceed to answer in the most generalized and dumbed down manner possible, but I'm the one who is generalizing and dramatizing?

As for your comment itself, we have an entire justice system dedicated only to finding out and proving if a crime took place. We still see this system fail to provide victims with justice or even manage to convict the correct person for any given crime on a daily basis. This is clearly not very simple.

But you knew that.

I'm sad to see that you are not interested in actual intelligent discourse.  Have a nice day.

Good. Cause the topic is Depp and not the whole thing, wich i have no desire to talk about.

Depp is a good actor. If there is something unlawful he did, charges should be pressed and judged by the law. 

That has zero influence on wether he shows up in the movies and plays the character well. Quite honestly, that doesn't entitle anyone to try and make justice through their own hands. EVERYONE will lose in that world. You want harsher punishments, vote on the right politicians that share that vision. You are not and can never be the law. No one can. That isn't justice.

She's hypocrite. It doesn't matter if you think it's ok or not ok for him to be in movie after beating up his wife, but it's a little bit funny for her to want to keep him in the role after all the things she keeps tweeting about.

irstupid said:
Nem said:

This is very simple:

Uh... yes?  Because that's how crimes work, mate.  Has American society returned to it's 1600's mindset of witch hunts?  

If someone did something wrong, there needs to be proof of said wrongdoing.  Why is this suddenly such a hard concept to accept for people in 2017?

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"