By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the consensus on mobile games on consoles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGqtAw_uMOo

Saw that video from Jim and he made some good points. These mobile ports are nothing new on consoles, been happening since last generation. I'm sure there are some good ports, and someone out there might have enjoyed them, so we should be looking at the titles individually. Still the general feeling I got is that the mobile games tend to be free/1$ while the console ports have some hefty markups. Are these greedy mobile publishers or are they just levelling with the standard store prices?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

A consensus is an agreement by all or at least the majority on any given issue.

So I'm not sure you'll find a consensus here, at best you can ask everyone's opinions.

Mine is that I don't care for mobile games, they are a sub-category mostly aimed at casuals. In other words: I have a PS4 to play games like The Last of Us, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Uncharted, Nier Automata or Persona 5 and NOT to play games like Candy Crush or Angry Birds.

Video games are a passion of mine, not a pass-time while the bus I'm waiting for gets here or dinner is ready.

So I welcome mobile games on consoles just as much as I welcome lootboxes and micro-transactions

Implosion Never Lose Hope is a pretty cool action game on Switch. It's not quite platinum but it is fun. Levels are small but make sense since it was a phone game. It's like a pocket version of MGR.

Bring them on, and bring apps to consoles as well. As a gamer, I would love to see everything available on PS4, XBO, and Switch. I don't want a PC or a Smartphone, but I am not against the apps/programs they run. Give me the ability to play Mobile games on my console and handheld, and I will gladly drop a few dollars your way. Same goes for creative programs as well.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Depends

This one game on the Switch is $25 that's free on mobile, but the app version has hundreds of dollars of DLC.

Also, some games on mobile are honestly tremendous. I'd happily pay for something such as Monument Valley on the Switch if they made it longer and more feature packed.

As long as they don't cheap out, then I'm fine with it. We should vote with our wallets.

Around the Network

I am sure it isn´t the consensus, but I will always skip those games. I didn´t buy a PS4pro to play games that could run on the PS Vita and have the same fidelity.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I am not against mobile games; my best friend is a mobile game.
I just don't like them taking the place of Real games: console and PC games.

I personally don't care, the only thing is most mobile games are cheap garbage that a lot of the time seems to just be copied from other games/apps. That type of shit shouldn't even be allowed on app stores, let alone consoles. 

You included the video from Jim Sterling and he's said a lot as well about the type of cheap trash that has been allowed to be put on Steam. 

Mar1217 said:
Looking at the "Coming soon" section of the Eshop does make me wary about the future of these games. It seems like we are in the period where low quality mobile/indie titles are flooding the Eshop, as if we were suddenly on Steam.

I hope they improve the eShop, so that we can easily search for the type of game we want. There are so many games now, it's really getting annoying to use the eShop.

I was expecting more negativity surrounding this topic. I can understand the stigma some mobile games have and why quite a few aren't interested, while others are dependant on a game to game basis. In the end it's the games that make you decide, if something interesting comes along, you might not even notice it was a mobile game.

caffeinade said:
I am not against mobile games; my best friend is a mobile game.
I just don't like them taking the place of Real games: console and PC games.

Imaginary best friend?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"