By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TIME Names the Nintendo Switch Its Number One Gadget of 2017

McDonaldsGuy said:
reviniente said:

The Wii U was exponentially better than the Wii, yet the mob wouldn't have it.

What do you mean?

I mean, there was nothing wrong with the Wii U. It was an excellent system, but it failed to create hype and most casuals (the drones that bought 100mil Wii's ) would've needed to be goaded into buying it, by the press or the internet or whomever. Without said hype, the mob skipped it, and a great system faded into nothingness.

Around the Network
reviniente said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
The Switch is what the Wii U should have been.

The Wii U was a stop gap console. A majorly overpriced controller that didn’t add anything, the offscreen play was pointless since the range was too short, the dual screen play was pointless since (unlike the DS) you can only look at one screen at a time. Not to mention, it had far fewer games and somehow ended up having more cheaply made shovelware ports than the Wii, not one killer app. Also, Nintendo didn’t get the OS right, it was slow, convoluted, and bloated with broken/unsupported features. On top of that, it was ugly.

The Wii had a sleek design, speedy and intuitive interface, a strong software lineup with several killer apps, the best back catalogue, and the addition of IR and motion control options created a huge market that helped sell 100 million consoles and nearly 1 billion pieces of software at retail alone.

The Switch is basically the Wii U done right, learning from the Wii concept of making something attractive that a lot of people want, and with actual killer apps.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

reviniente said:

I mean, there was nothing wrong with the Wii U. It was an excellent system, but it failed to create hype and most casuals (the drones that bought 100mil Wii's ) would've needed to be goaded into buying it, by the press or the internet or whomever. Without said hype, the mob skipped it, and a great system faded into nothingness.

Not to turn this thread into one about how terrible the Wii U, but the Wii U was terrible. The "casuals" weren't the only ones that had to be goaded into buying that mess, as can be seen by its horrendous sales.

Anyway, yay for Switch and all that.

It's not a big deal but beating the iPhone on any list is impressive considering it's 2017 and according to Patcher, consoles are dead.

Jumpin said:
reviniente said:

The Wii U was a stop gap console. A majorly overpriced controller that didn’t add anything, the offscreen play was pointless since the range was too short, the dual screen play was pointless since (unlike the DS) you can only look at one screen at a time. Not to mention, it had far fewer games and somehow ended up having more cheaply made shovelware ports than the Wii, not one killer app. Also, Nintendo didn’t get the OS right, it was slow, convoluted, and bloated with broken/unsupported features. On top of that, it was ugly.

The Wii had a sleek design, speedy and intuitive interface, a strong software lineup with several killer apps, the best back catalogue, and the addition of IR and motion control options created a huge market that helped sell 100 million consoles and nearly 1 billion pieces of software at retail alone.

The Switch is basically the Wii U done right, learning from the Wii concept of making something attractive that a lot of people want, and with actual killer apps.

Are we talking business strategy or ? Because I've been gaming since the early 80's and the Wii U was 10 times better than the Wii for me. The Wii was a waggle fest of casual bullshit. Sure, Wii Sports was fun to play with kids and gramma, but every single major title released had horribly unresponsive motion controls jammed up their asses which totally ruined most of them. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart... it was like, hey, like those 1:1 controls from the Gamecube era? Well, here's some motion controls kids... enjoy the fuck fest!

Wii U, on the other hand, was back to buttons. Motion controls for most of the core titles were optional. That alone made it the better "core" console for gamers imo. 

Around the Network

It's #1 on the salt list too.

Its a great console. The more time I spend with the Switch, the less I like the WiiU. I kinda want a few ports now so I don't have to play with the WiiU gamepad ever again.

reviniente said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

What do you mean?

Actually almost everything was wrong with Wii U, going from first reveal, name and marketing, to non apeling concept, high price compared to competition, without strong or system seller game, huge software droughts...Switch is totally opposite to Wii U and much more similar to Wii, great concept, strong and system seller games from launch, and strong and good marketing and branding.

Kingtendo!

That's very good marketing... hopefully it will win this Holiday season!

Switch!!!