By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TIME Names the Nintendo Switch Its Number One Gadget of 2017

reviniente said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
The Switch is what the Wii U should have been.

The Wii U was exponentially better than the Wii, yet the mob wouldn't have it.

Nah.  Nobody outside of diehard Nintendo fans wanted to spend $300 on a Wii HD with a touch screen controller that was barely as powerful as consoles much older and cheaper at the time of release.  And it only got worse for the Wii U after the launch of other next gen consoles the following year, which blew it out of the water in terms of hardware and could be had for a mere $100 more at launch in the PS4's case.

Had the original Wii been more powerful / HD capable out of the gate and sold at the same price the 360 launched at ($299 for base model), it still would've been a massive success with even better 3rd party support.  The Wii U was always a stop-gap console that tried to appeal to everyone but failed on almost every level.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

The Year of Nintendo

I'm fine with the Switch at #1. It's one of those devices that really make me wonder how I lived without it.

The #2 on the other hand... Gross. Can't believe something with that ugly, intrusive notch and horrible price tag made it that high. Should've put the S8 there instead, considering it's better in pretty much every way.

2017 is Nintendo comeback year.. And what a comeback.. insane :)

And the best.. there are some very exciting things coming next year.

And to all the "Not wanting Nintendo to have succes" people in this tread.. get over it.. or mayby don't.. its kind of funny to see.. But promise me that you will not take it too personally.. remember its only videogamming.. there are much more to life :)

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
monocle_layton said:
Buh the Switch is a terrible device!!!!1! That's what the Nintendo experts told me before it launched

Why are you parodying non-existent comments?

For the longest time the Switch was nitpicked and deemed a 'low quality' console for the most ridiculous reasons. 3 hour battery life, small controllers, large bezels, etc.

Look at any pre-March thread and you'll see an absurd amount of negativity that is on a different level. 

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:

Why are you parodying non-existent comments?

For the longest time the Switch was nitpicked and deemed a 'low quality' console for the most ridiculous reasons. 3 hour battery life, small controllers, large bezels, etc.

Look at any pre-March thread and you'll see an absurd amount of negativity that is on a different level. 

And we need to be reminded of this how many times? Judging people post-launch got old in June, we're past that now. 

NightDragon83 said:
reviniente said:

Nah.  Nobody outside of diehard Nintendo fans wanted to spend $300 on a Wii HD with a touch screen controller that was barely as powerful as consoles much older and cheaper at the time of release.  And it only got worse for the Wii U after the launch of other next gen consoles the following year, which blew it out of the water in terms of hardware and could be had for a mere $100 more at launch in the PS4's case.

Had the original Wii been more powerful / HD capable out of the gate and sold at the same price the 360 launched at ($299 for base model), it still would've been a massive success with even better 3rd party support.  The Wii U was always a stop-gap console that tried to appeal to everyone but failed on almost every level.

I give you the Switch.

monocle_layton said:

And we need to be reminded of this how many times? Judging people post-launch got old in June, we're past that now. 

Suppose you got a point, but it's a trend we see for all consoles.

The XB1X was unreasonably shat on as well, and people still diminish any success for no reason. I get there'll be fanboys or console haters, but come on. It gets tiring seeing every piece of tech have a boatload of threads about how awful it is for the months prior to its release. 

Looking at the list of gadgets here, I would have given it to the Switch as well. I consider it the most interesting item in the list this year.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

reviniente said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
The Switch is what the Wii U should have been.

What do you mean?