By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - FIFA 18's ads don't feature the Switch version?

sethnintendo said:

I think we should all join a class action lawsuit against EA for NFL rights exclusive and not publishing on all platforms.

i think you forgot the /s    i hope...

Around the Network
vivster said:
DonFerrari said:

DO you or anyone on this class action lawsuit have any right to the NFL? So how do you intend to sue?

There is no one forbidding anyone to launch a Football game on Switch.

Common sense already does a good job here.

EA owns exclusive rights to the NFL.  So how the fuck are you going to launch a NFL game on the Switch?  Sorry meant to respond to DonFerrari

sethnintendo said:
vivster said:

Common sense already does a good job here.

EA owns exclusive rights to the NFL.  So how the fuck are you going to launch a NFL game on the Switch?  Sorry meant to respond to DonFerrari

Is football limited to NFL? As far as I know besides the college leagues you can also go the way PES done in the past, even before Winning Eleven, and not license the game... I believe Sega done it as well for some sports and T2K.

The NFL license belongs to NFL and they may sell the right to use to anyone they want and since you don't own NFL or its license what would be your ground for the class action? "I want to play this game on this console and I can't so they own me 1M USD"?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
sethnintendo said:

I think we should all join a class action lawsuit against EA for NFL rights exclusive and not publishing on all platforms.

DO you or anyone on this class action lawsuit have any right to the NFL? So how do you intend to sue?

Because, unlicensed football games sell so well right?  :

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 All-Pro Football 2K8 X360 2007 Sports Take-Two Interactive 0.24 0.00 0.00 0.02 0.26
2 All-Pro Football 2K8 PS3 2007 Sports Take-Two Interactive 0.14 0.00 0.00 0.01 0.15
Total0.390.000.000.030.42

Take-Two/Sega can continue to release ESPN Video games through 2005. But beginning in 2006, Take-Two/Sega will be left with no NFL license and no ESPN license for any future football games. It was the EA deal with the NFL that opened up the long-term deal with ESPN.

https://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1419338/espn-electronic-arts-sign-15-year-game-deal

DonFerrari said:
sethnintendo said:

Is football limited to NFL? As far as I know besides the college leagues you can also go the way PES done in the past, even before Winning Eleven, and not license the game... I believe Sega done it as well for some sports and T2K.

The NFL license belongs to NFL and they may sell the right to use to anyone they want and since you don't own NFL or its license what would be your ground for the class action? "I want to play this game on this console and I can't so they own me 1M USD"?

They sold the rights and within the contract EA is obligated to release on as many viable platforms as possible.  I suppose that excludes the PC for Madden (I have no clue because I'd never download origin) but I assume they don't make Madden for PC.  So technically EA is in breach of contract but they will always come back with the viable clause.  You know what might be viable on the Switch?  NFL 2K series.  NFL needs to shred the EA contract and start allowing other companies to make NFL games again.  No one would give a shit about American football game that isn't licensed by the NFL. 

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

1 All-Pro Football 2K8 X360 2007 Sports Take-Two Interactive 0.24 0.00 0.00 0.02 0.26
2 All-Pro Football 2K8 PS3 2007 Sports Take-Two Interactive 0.14 0.00 0.00 0.01 0.15

Take-Two/Sega can continue to release ESPN Video games through 2005. But beginning in 2006, Take-Two/Sega will be left with no NFL license and no ESPN license for any future football games. It was the EA deal with the NFL that opened up the long-term deal with ESPN.

https://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1419338/espn-electronic-arts-sign-15-year-game-deal

And have the lack of license prohibit anyone from making a football game or just can impact the sales? Last I remember Fifa Street and the basketball version both did great without having any license, Mario Strikers also did well. PES and Winning Eleven done good. Gen 6 Soccer game had no license at all and still were hits.

sethnintendo said:
DonFerrari said:

They sold the rights and within the contract EA is obligated to release on as many viable platforms as possible.  I suppose that excludes the PC for Madden (I have no clue because I'd never download origin) but I assume they don't make Madden for PC.  So technically EA is in breach of contract but they will always come back with the viable clause.  You know what might be viable on the Switch?  NFL 2K series.  NFL needs to shred the EA contract and start allowing other companies to make NFL games again.  No one would give a shit about American football game that isn't licensed by the NFL. 

Is that the contract no one ever saw but claim to be true?

Or do you have a copy of the contract?

Define how the contract put viable platform... all cellphones, Ouya, PS2, Mega Drive, and several others can be seem as viable... or low sales (like 110k on Switch) can be seem as non viable.

And NFL should shred the contract and stop making money because? And are you also aware that the NFL (or also FIFA) doesn't have the rights over the teams, players and stadiums right? So they also need to make deals with other entities to use their image.

Also funny enough in Brazil people were modding PES to have Brazil teams and championship and selling over here as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

EA has a monopoly on American Football. IIRC In addition to the NFL, they have the CFL, and Arena Football League license. NCAA Football games basically can't happen anymore. A former college player successfully sued the NCAA and EA for using their likeness without compensation. So as far as I know, the NCAA no longer licenses sports titles.

I'm sure EA wants the Switch to be a minor format so that they can sell more product on more powerful x86 formats. They probably haven't got their head around the fact that people are buying the Switch not just for Nintendo games but to have decent games in portable mode. I can't see why they couldn't have done a better version of Fifa. They have a better relationship with Sony and Microsoft than Nintendo. It just feels like EA want the Switch to fail or be a niche product going by their actions. Bethesda in contrast have worked with the limitations of the Switch but still pushed the hardware as much as possible to deliver a competitive game experience albeit with reduced graphic fidelity. No such effort from EA. It seems they have very low ambitions regarding Switch.

If there is anyone out there with high regards for EA games who might be influenced by the lack of EA content on Switch then they would be motivated to buy a different system. EA for me is pretty insignificant nowadays. I'm much more interested in what Bethesda is doing as a big Fallout and Elder Scrolls fan.

DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

And have the lack of license prohibit anyone from making a football game or just can impact the sales? Last I remember Fifa Street and the basketball version both did great without having any license, Mario Strikers also did well. PES and Winning Eleven done good. Gen 6 Soccer game had no license at all and still were hits.

sethnintendo said:

Is that the contract no one ever saw but claim to be true?

Or do you have a copy of the contract?

Define how the contract put viable platform... all cellphones, Ouya, PS2, Mega Drive, and several others can be seem as viable... or low sales (like 110k on Switch) can be seem as non viable.

And NFL should shred the contract and stop making money because? And are you also aware that the NFL (or also FIFA) doesn't have the rights over the teams, players and stadiums right? So they also need to make deals with other entities to use their image.

Also funny enough in Brazil people were modding PES to have Brazil teams and championship and selling over here as well.

Name 1 American Football game released after 1990 that sold well without the NFL license.  There is a reason that Take-Two completely abandoned releasing American Football games after losing the NFL license.  They gave it a go with All-Pro 2K8 and saw their sales drop off a cliff.  Madden used to have competition for American Football video game sales.  No American Football game has sold over a million copies without the NFL license.  With EA holding exclusive NFL license, it now has a monopoly on the genre.

I think Midway might have been the last to even try, and here was the reception:

1 Blitz: The League II PS3 2008 Sports Midway Games 0.11 0.03 0.00 0.02 0.15
2 Blitz: The League II X360 2008 Sports Midway Games 0.08 0.01 0.00 0.01 0.10

bonzobanana said:
I'm sure EA wants the Switch to be a minor format so that they can sell more product on more powerful x86 formats. They probably haven't got their head around the fact that people are buying the Switch not just for Nintendo games but to have decent games in portable mode. I can't see why they couldn't have done a better version of Fifa. They have a better relationship with Sony and Microsoft than Nintendo. It just feels like EA want the Switch to fail or be a niche product going by their actions. Bethesda in contrast have worked with the limitations of the Switch but still pushed the hardware as much as possible to deliver a competitive game experience albeit with reduced graphic fidelity. No such effort from EA. It seems they have very low ambitions regarding Switch.

If there is anyone out there with high regards for EA games who might be influenced by the lack of EA content on Switch then they would be motivated to buy a different system. EA for me is pretty insignificant nowadays. I'm much more interested in what Bethesda is doing as a big Fallout and Elder Scrolls fan.

I don't think Switch's power is the problem for EA. The way I see it, EA wants to focus on PS4/X1 because they see them as better platforms for their current "games as a service" approach to videogames, and a successful Switch would force them to change that.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.