By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendolife scored Pokemon ultra Sun and Moon a 10/10!

They're more liberal with 10/10s than most publications, especially considering that they only review games on Nintendo platforms (and mobile Nintendo games). I'm not shocked by this score.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
StarOcean said:

Unfortunately, no, there is no National Dex. This is a glaring issue in this Gen and I hope it remains in this Gen only because it's absolutely lazy not to have it in. 

The game itself, for me is a 7/10 if you already played S/M since the game is still very familiar.

It's a 8.5/10 if you never played S/M prior

And overall I'd say it's a solid 7/10 as a Pokemon game. Its lack of a National Dex, still having lag (better than in X/Y and S/M though), and annoyingly long tutorial (basically the first island) hurts it. 

Pokemon Bank (which got updated recently and now works with USUM) is pretty much the National Dex now. Can someone explain to me the big deal about missing an in-game National Dex, outside of not being able to read dex entries? Not saying that it shouldn't be present; I just want to make sure I'm not missing something crucial.

I  just beat the first Island Kahuna, and I'm enjoying the main game a lot more than I thought I would. I skipped S/M and spent a year hearing about the silly story, nonstop cutscenes and Hau, so now that I'm actually playing it, I find that the negative hype isn't nearly as bad. Granted, I'm sure some of this was addressed with Ultra.

Just like how Pokemon Bank was a forced pay wall onto us. Instead of being a one time $20 game, like Pokemon Box 2. Or the ability to just do all its features within the game, in the first place. Laziness and corporate greed. What happens in 10 years, when Bank is no longer supported. XY-Present are now orphaned from the past physical games. I want the national dex in the game. Because That's basically saying use google to get your answers. It's stupid, a money grab, and not efficient.

I have no incentive to bother collecting anything anymore. Since I can't keep track of anything easily. The whole notion of making it easier for new comers is BS. Because the National Dex is only unlocked at the end of the game. It's a choice for those people to care to do or not. I don't have a choice with the National Dex missing. Except pay $5 for some crap, that's probably a 10MB server file, I don't really want. These are the last Pokemon games I buy. Since they no longer care about the games legacy. Except to make you buy Bank subs and that stupid National Pokedex book.

Last edited by archer9234 - on 21 November 2017

burninmylight said:
StarOcean said:

Unfortunately, no, there is no National Dex. This is a glaring issue in this Gen and I hope it remains in this Gen only because it's absolutely lazy not to have it in. 

The game itself, for me is a 7/10 if you already played S/M since the game is still very familiar.

It's a 8.5/10 if you never played S/M prior

And overall I'd say it's a solid 7/10 as a Pokemon game. Its lack of a National Dex, still having lag (better than in X/Y and S/M though), and annoyingly long tutorial (basically the first island) hurts it. 

Pokemon Bank (which got updated recently and now works with USUM) is pretty much the National Dex now. Can someone explain to me the big deal about missing an in-game National Dex, outside of not being able to read dex entries? Not saying that it shouldn't be present; I just want to make sure I'm not missing something crucial.

I  just beat the first Island Kahuna, and I'm enjoying the main game a lot more than I thought I would. I skipped S/M and spent a year hearing about the silly story, nonstop cutscenes and Hau, so now that I'm actually playing it, I find that the negative hype isn't nearly as bad. Granted, I'm sure some of this was addressed with Ultra.

These are the best pair since B2W2. I'm giving a very constructive view of the games. However, even USUM aren't close to HGSS which is by far the best made Pokemon games to date. That game is as flawless as you can get, Pokemon-wise. But USUM aren't too behind

archer9234 said:
burninmylight said:

Just like how Pokemon Bank was a forced pay wall onto us. Instead of being a one time $20 game, like Pokemon Box 2. Or the ability to just do all its features within the game, in the first place. Laziness and corporate greed. What happens in 10 years, when Bank is no longer supported. XY-Present are now orphaned from the past physical games. I want the national dex in the game. Because That's basically saying use google to get your answers. It's stupid, a money grab, and not efficient.

I have no incentive to bother collecting anything anymore. Since I can't keep track of anything easily. The whole notion of making it easier for new comers is BS. Because the National Dex is only unlocked at the end of the game. It's a choice for those people to care to do or not. I don't have a choice with the National Dex missing. Except pay $5 for some crap, that's probably a 10MB server file, I don't really want. These are the last Pokemon games I buy. Since they no longer care about the games legacy. Except to make you buy Bank subs and that stupid National Pokedex book.

GameFreak has been implementing paywalls on us from the get-go.

-Version exclusive Pokemon that you need to either have a friend or another copy of the game to get back in the day, and even some Pokemon like Eevee and the Hitmons that you can only get one critter of.

-Third/ultimate versions that can now easily be DLC instead of another $40 paywall for new/remixed content.

-Twenty years later, and still only one save file per copy! This is so asinine, and I see people defending it online all the time, then turn around and complain about third/ultimate versions!

I wasn't defending Bank, but out of all of GF's bullshit practices, I find it to be the most reasonable. The original Pokemon Bank was a GameCube disc that wasn't online. This is a cloud service. I think you're pretty spot on about the 10MB server file, but we're still talking about millions of files over the course of years. If bank goes offline or loses support for older games in 10 years, you just simply upload all your critters to a later game that is still supported. By then, we'll have Mega X and Y, Midnight Sun and Daytime Moon, and Hunter Green and Springtime Passion Red anyway, and they will still be selling 15 million copies each.

If we lived in a perfect world where corporate greed wasn't a thing, GF and Nintendo would make Bank free as part of the Nintendo online subscription in the future.