By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console gamers, why do you feel console gaming is better than PC?

1) Convenience
My PS4 looks like it belongs in the living room next to my TV, it's a stylish machine (especially in the vertical position). I can play on my comfortable couch and I don't need to figure out how to connect a PC to my TV and have long cords running from one room to another. My PC is in my bedroom. Sure, this is a choice thing, but this how I choose to run my kingdom. The PC is for using the internet and that's pretty much it.
2) Reliability
With a console, I can always be sure that it will run all the upcoming games and I won't have to tackle with a myriad of compatibility issues, outdated pieces of hardware and whatnot that comes with the PC landscape. Okay, if you want to nerd out, you can build yourself a monster rig with all the best components and get maximum graphics and performance out of games, but that would require pretty much constantly upgrading things and making sure that parts work together and it just isn't worth the hassle to me. It's also something I don't want to be continuously pouring money into. Games nowadays look pretty enough as they are and the generational console upgrades are enough for me.
3) Exclusives
Can't do without them Sony exclusives. All platforms have exclusives, but through the years it has become apparent to me that Sony makes the ones that I need the most. And they make a good number of them as well. It's very rare that competing platforms have something to offer that I would even consider playing. So rare that it's negligible.

Also, there's the fact that the keyboard/mouse combo is way too complicated for me to be comfortable with, but I didn't want to make a point out of it, because I think I would get used to it if I wanted to. But there's just something about the feel of things, it's not as good if you have to move a character with one hand (making sure your fingers are on the right keys among a thousand other keys) and shoot/whatever with the other so that each hand is on a different controller. Nah.

Around the Network

Exclusives are what tips me over the edge.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Nintendo comes with an unique experience not found on PC. This was true for all consoles until last gen, where the consoles became closer to PC and got a shitload of PC games ported over. Now most bigger games are on both PC and consoles, and since the games themselves are generally cheaper on PC, guess where I buy them if there's one that interests me (last time that happened was with South Park, so it's a rather rare occurence)

Since I mostly play retro and Indie games, PC is more convenient to me most of the time. And no need to have a big rig for those, either. On the other hand, I bought about 25 Indie games for my Wii U and quite a few WiiWare titles for the Wii back in the day, The Switch, when I will finally get one, will also have the added benefit of portability, and also comes with a lot of great Indies, so it's basically the ideal console for me - just the Virtual console is (still) missing.

Consoles are more convenient and Nintendo games.

PC/Mac kicks any consoles ass for FPS and strategy games just because of keyboard and mouse (but I must admit that motion controls/IR-pointer actually makes FPS:s playable on consoles).

And no aim assist does not make FPS on consoles better or bearable, it’s a form of cheating.

Limited DRM restrictions by comparison
I use a Mac, less games for that
Console exclusives
I doubt I'd enjoy using a keyboard instead of a controller
I prefer physical copies of games and most PC games are either downloads from say Steam or single use codes

Oh and the time, effort and money required to build a decent gaming rig. And the frequency with which you'd need to update it. Simplier to stay with consoles.

Around the Network

high quality exclusives.

Physical game >>>>>>>> Digital

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Just have to plug in a console, pop in the game and play, instead of having to worry about a ton of configuration, compatibility, etc. Of course, with installs and updates it's becoming less convenient, though.

Nintendo + PC is best combo for me. But recently I've been only playing League of Legends on PC.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Replicant said:

To answer the OP, I choose to play on my consoles more often than on my PC, simply because I'm reaching the goal faster which is to sit back in my couch and have fun. My time is limited. I don't want to waste it on not having fun.

As Peter Tran puts it:

Console:
1. Buy game
2. Put game in
3. Play game

PC:
1. Check to see if your hardware will be up to it
2. Buy the game
3. Put the game in
4. Find out that the disc has no data on it
5. Download and install the game through some DRM software
6. Run the game
7. Game crashes on loading of the main menu
8. Spend a few hours on the internet to figure out why
9. Figure out that it's a specific issue with a certain program you have
10. Uninstall that program
11. Run the game
12. Configure all your graphical settings to make sure it runs well
13. Study the controls and configure the keyboard
14. Start the game
15. Game breaks
16. Spend a few hours on the internet to figure out why
17. Find out that it's a bad port
18. Wait for a patch
19. One week later install patch
20. Play game
21. Find out it's horribly optimized
22. Turn down graphics settings to minimum
23. Play game locked at console settings anyway

Only if you have a crappy PC, otherwise it is

PC:
1. Buy game
2. Download game
3. Play game

Intrinsic said:

And I am way past the PC master race types. I can't even begin to fathom how stupid it is for anyone to think that because they are playing a game at higher framerates with better visuals they are somehow better than anyone else or living a better life. That to me is the pinnacle of stupidity and self entitlement.

Except we are playing games at higher framerates with better visuals and it can be a vastly more immersive experience.
Sorry you feel threatened by that.

d21lewis said:
I think of building a PC like building a car. Yeah, you could probably build the best car in the world from cobbled together parts but that would take a lot of effort, probably be more expensive, and the average person probably wouldn't know what to think when they saw your creation.

It's probably much easier to just go to the dealer and choose whatever model of Honda Civic tickles your fancy.

The PC offers both options.
I think it's a little silly to assume that all PC gamers build their rigs when they really don't.

With that... Custom builds are a sizable portion as companies like Razer, Corsair etc' derive a large portion of their revenue from such demographics.

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
Aside of some of the reasons already mentioned, there’s one reason in particular no one mentions: distractions. A PC has better access and more fluid access at that to the internet than any console. And when you have access to so many distractions competing for your attention, it can be difficult to even start gaming on a PC I have found. You can say that’s not a weakness of the PC or that’s just a human weakness but then there it is; a human weakness. YouTube has won many a battle over games on my PC with me. Not to mention other things too hehehe ;).

The speed at which YouTube can be accessed is a huge thing too.

Try browsing this forum on a console. *Shudders*
I would rather drink Mercury.

NawaiNey said:
Because of the games.
The list of upcoming games that I am interested in playing is as follows:

I think only 2 or 3 of those will be on PC.

They will all end up on PC eventually anyway, it's only a matter of when not if.

Lawlight said:

This is some BS. The majority of PC gamers play on weak old computers and play F2P games. Or in internet cafes in China.

Also, the price difference between a console and a PC is much lower than than of the cars you used in your analogy.

Perspective and all that.
The PC has hundreds of millions of gamers. 10's of millions of PC gamers have rigs far more capable than the consoles.

Lawlight said:
My reasons:

1. Better library. The Sony first party games are just experiences that cannot be obtained on a PC. The PC exclusives are in genres that I don’t care for.

Pretty much the entire PS1, PS2, PSP library's are on PC.
Vita, PS3 are slowly trickling in.

Something like 90% of the games on the Playstation 4 are available on other platforms.
25% of all Sony Playstation 4 exclusives games are on PC.

Fair enough if PC exclusives are something you don't care for, personal taste and all that, but don't pretend that the Playstation 4 is loaded with so many exclusives you don't know what to do with them, the bulk of it's library is on other platforms, PC included.

killeryoshis said:
I can't legally play Nintendo games on PC and it is not as portable. Also Carts > Digital Download. However PC has a huge library spanning decades. So that is a plus.

The legality of emulation does indeed vary from region to region.
I can legally duplicate and emulate Nintendo games in my country. (Not that I need to.)

Qwark said:
2. PC does not have Sony's First Party games or Nintendo of you are a ninty fan.

And Sony/Nintendo platforms don't have PC exclusives. That's why the word "exclusive" exists to identify such things. :P

Qwark said:
3. Connecting a console to a tv and play games is easy and straightforward compared to pc and since I only complete 6 games a year, a pc is simply not worth the trouble or the money in my case.

There are OEM's that tailor to such a thing... Where the PC plugs straight into the TV, boots straight into Steams big-picture mode and is usable with a gamepad.

Nogamez said:
I hate PC 's they always slow down and up running really choppy. Dont know why, but both my gaming laptops have had this issue.

Bolded the issue.
And without knowing the hardware, can't really go more indepth as to why.

SvennoJ said:
Console:
- Fast to turn on, infrequent updates, get into the games fast.

You serious? o.0
My Xbox One X would refute that extremely quickly. Haha

SvennoJ said:
Console:
- Easier to move between displays, just need power cable and hdmi present at each location.

You can do this with a PC as well.

Replicant said:

Console:
1. Buy game
2. Put game in
3. Play game

Really not the case with consoles in 2017.

Replicant said:

PC:
1. Check to see if your hardware will be up to it

If you have a sufficiently capable PC, then generally you don't need to check your hardware.
My PC is 6+ years old and still runs everything maxxed.

Replicant said:

PC:
3. Put the game in 

Put the game in? Did you not get the memo that PC is a digital platform? ;)

Replicant said:

PC:
7. Game crashes on loading of the main menu

Can't say I have had such an occurrence in years. Maybe back when every PC was using Windows XP...

Replicant said:

PC:
13. Study the controls and configure the keyboard

Controls are pretty standardized on the PC these days.

Replicant said:

PC:

22. Turn down graphics settings to minimum
23. Play game locked at console settings anyway

Lol. No.

StokedUp said:

-So much more simpler to buy a console and that's your gaming platform sorted for 5-8 years without having to modify anything.

With the rate of technical advancement these days. PC's can last years as well.
I have a Core 2 Quad rig as a spare machine, that's Xbox 360 era. - It's playing games from 2017. And will play games from 2018 and beyond.

It has only had GPU upgrade once every few years.

StokedUp said:

-less space taken up in house

PC isn't one form factor you know, they come in all shapes and sizes... Some can even look like a USB flash drive.

StokedUp said:

-more reliable

*Cough*RROD*Cough*YLOD*Cough*PS1 Disk drive*cough*Original Xbox clock capacitor*cough*

You can build a PC out of server components... With components that have warranty's that outlast entire console generations.

StokedUp said:

-No Need for a monitor

PC doesn't need a monitor either.

StokedUp said:

-pretty much all my friends own consoles and not PCs so more sociable online (in my case)

Well. If I was in your shoes I would get better friends.  :P

StokedUp said:

-Console exclusive games are better

Entirely subjective, but entirely okay.

I honestly can't think of the last console game I got fanatical about... And I own allot of consoles.

SecondWar said:
Limited DRM restrictions by comparison

Consoles have a ton of DRM restrictions.

deskpro2k3 said:
Physical game >>>>>>>> Digital

I do have a sizable Nintendo/Xbox collection and a few dozen games on various Sony platforms. But I do agree that I actually prefer Physical games.
With that, I don't really have anything against digital either on the PC, Steam has made it a pretty pleasant experience... Which has resulted in me having 600+ games in my library.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--