By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

Ocarina of Time

Why 99?

Metascore. I only connected that dot when he mentioned those other things.

Around the Network

Didn't have time for hints today, but I'll get a second one for this one out just in case someone will get it in the next three hours or so before I post it.

S.Peelman said:

This is a game similar to those in a well known strategy series, but based on a European comic.

#16 - Hint 2

Only it doesn't have the real-time battles of that other series, it's just the campaign map and some platforming levels curiously enough.

20. Final Fantasy Tactics

Final Fantasy Tactics was one of the first TBS games I ever played. Square took the developers of March of the Black Queen and had them make a TBS game instead of an RTS like their previous works. This game has over 30 classes with an elaborate class system. The developers took things into account such as elevation, and speed. This meant that arrows could be lobbed father, or over enemy lines, and that Ninjas could take their turn twice as often an other units. The 2D Sprite based alphamap artwork holds up to this day, especially when compared to other PS1 games. 

19. The Last of Us

A post apocalyptic uncharted with a story revolving around a man who lost his daughter and a girl who didn't have a father. Like Uncharted 2 this game expertly blends shooting, stealth, and combat into a fluid experience. The story of the game touches a lot on loss, and how the zombie apocalypse changed everyone's lives for good. The multiplayer is good too, if you don't mind Joel's scissors fetish. 

18. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

One of the best things about the Original Xbox was that it brought many PC based titles to consoles for the first time. Bioware set out to make an epic single player RPG, based on Star Wars lore, using mostly mechanics found in DnD. Set about 1,000 years before the movies, this game's plot and story were pretty much free from interference. That gave Bioware's writers the creative freedom to do whatever cool or interesting things they wanted. Statement of Fact: Meatbags that don't play my game, deserve to be thrown into the Sarlaac pit. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

18. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

One of the best things about the Original Xbox was that it brought many PC based titles to consoles for the first time. Bioware set out to make an epic single player RPG, based on Star Wars lore, using mostly mechanics found in DnD. Set about 1,000 years before the movies, this game's plot and story were pretty much free from interference. That gave Bioware's writers the creative freedom to do whatever cool or interesting things they wanted. Statement of Fact: Meatbags that don't play my game, deserve to be thrown into the Sarlaac pit. 

Yes!

Someone has this on their list. Brilliant game, and a story that's better than most of the movies.

Astérix

• Sony PlayStation
  • Turn-based Strategy
  • Infogrames

A very unknown and niche game which is actually one of the best the original PlayStation had to offer from it's huge library. You had to be a European though to appreciate 'Astérix' (also known by the title 'Asterix: The Gallic War' in it's re-releases and the PC release), because it was only released here. It is a turn-based strategy game in the vein of the newer and much more famous 'Total War' series, but a much lighter, less serious take on the genre.

Like the comic books, the game is about the small Gallic village's struggle to stay independent from the Romans under Caesar. From the starting village on, the objective is to strengthen your regions and conquer Roman ones by adding doses of "magic potion" to each. Some regions contain a mini-game where the player assumes the role of either Asterix, Obelix or another character, which has to be completed before the region is conquered. These mini-games can be a multitude of different things ranging from a platforming level to a fighting stage.

For a game with such a simple and innocent appearance and being aimed primarily at children, it is actually quite challenging. The game is won when your territory includes all the regions that contain a mini-game and reaches all the way to Italy. Being an Asterix game, obviously the game takes place in France, or Gaul to be precise. The challenging nature, along with the variety and the slapstick humor, makes for an addicting little game!

Around the Network

The player character is a legend in this land for his supposed great deeds in a war a long time ago. In reality however, he died on a battlefield by the first arrow shot without ever facing a single enemy.

Hints for the next two games at the end.

Total Annihilation
Previous Year: #15

The best RTS ever made in my opinion. After Command & Conquer and Warcraft popularized the genre, Total Annihilation took it to a new level with exceptionally fluid gameplay. In addition it also boasts the best soundtrack composed by one Jeremy Soule, the man whose also responsible for most of the music in the Elder Scrolls-series. 

Final Fantasy VI
Previous Year: #14

Here we have the best game ever made for the SNES. I go back and forth on the order I would put the Final Fantasy-series, and along with a few other VI often contends for the second spot (The first is and always will be reserved). The story, characters, music, gameplay, graphics, and everything else is near perfect. 

And here are the hints:

#16: The story of two junior bracers continues in this excellent RPG. 

#15: A pilgrimage to rid the world of its Sin.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Time for more hints

#16 This 80's arcade game could be described as Minecraft with a bicycle pump.
Hint 2: This game was in Stranger Things 2.
Hint 3: The title of this game is two verbs. One of the verbs is the past tense of the other.
Hint 4: In this arcade game you dig through the ground while defeating enemies by dropping rocks on them You can also inflate them with a bicycle pump until they blow up.

#13 This mobile game is a sequel to tower defense game where you have to grow your defenses to repel an undead horde.

#12 This is the spiritual successor to a PS3 game, This game also has 2 sequels and a spin-off game.

Oh, I get it now: #16 is Dig Dug.

#13 is Plants vs. Zombies 2, but I think someone already guessed that.

And #12 is probably Dark Souls.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

mZuzek said:
Mnementh said:

game #12
Hint 1: Play as a goddess and fight an old beast.

Probably not, but... Okami?

That's correct.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

S.Peelman said:

Astérix

• Sony PlayStation
  • Turn-based Strategy
  • Infogrames

There is an Asterix game and it is turn-based strategy? I'm intrigued. Never knew about this.