By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo plans to make 25 million to 30 million Switch game consoles next fiscal year

I'd say 15 mil without china and pokemon.
With both 25 mil is definetly possible.

Remember that ninty is EXTREAMLY conservative. Its just that the wii U flopped hard. Harder than anyonre thought.

Though we ARE talking peak DS/wii numbers.

Around the Network

That's definitely a lot. Maybe too much even. They'll definitely need more system selling games if they're hoping to sell that many next year. I think Animal Crossing would help in pushing some of those units.

On the plus side, at least they don't have to worry about stock issues.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

To prevent possible droughts, also they itself said they planning to produce more units than they intend to ship, also 5m for system thats popular and thats sell is nothing.

If they need to produce 25% more than they can sell just to prevent droughts then Nintendo really is bad at planning inventory and reading the market and determine demand.

They producing more than they can or will ship is quite different than produce excessive inventory just to met unrealistic production.

Its not point about what they need but whats good decision, we dont know reason why maybe they want to produce more units than they can ship, maybe they curently have very good deal for some parts, or point that prevent possible future droughts because possible future Switch components shortages on market are logical ones.

Also, Switch sales can explode without shortages problems in 2018. so it's of course better to have some consoles in stock than again face shortages. Again, 5m is nothing for console that's so much popular and that have great sales, those 5m can be sell in one quarter, you clearly overreacting about those possible 5m.

loy310 said:
Pffft..... get real, 17 mil tops.

Switch will end up around 17m after first 13 months on market, so they can easily top 17m in second year on market.

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

We have an agreement and I would be happy to eat this crow.

Yeah, sure. Sorry, but I get worked up sometimes, and I didnt really mean to be an asshole.

Anyways, I agree that its gonna sell 15-20M and 30M is sort of wishful thinking.

What I was trying to point is that, given the Nintendo was before Switch launch (they were coming off their worst performing clonsole), 10M wasnt non-confident at all. Many People at that time were laughing at 10M and thought there was no chance of that happening, just shows that at that time it was a confident prediction.

Don't worry, I know I can be a little nuisance sometimes and that I can be seen as someone that doesn't like Nintendo because I defend Sony more and have been critical of Nintendo since Switch (that is because when something is successfull you have to criticize more so that it keep increasing, while WiiU didn't need criticism since we all knew market weren't pleased and Nintendo would improve over it anyway).

Ok. No issue for me saying that at the time 10M was confident already and sure if considering console only besides Wiii, 10M on a first year would already be good. But market embracing it, perhaps looking at it as 3DS successor and the unified library strategy make it seem like 10M was low. Now we are already looking at people expecting sales to reach PS4 on LT and so far the support from 3rd party is good and improving.

I'm quite happy that for the first time in a long time Nintendo fan wil be able to play all the games they want on a single platform if they want.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

If they need to produce 25% more than they can sell just to prevent droughts then Nintendo really is bad at planning inventory and reading the market and determine demand.

They producing more than they can or will ship is quite different than produce excessive inventory just to met unrealistic production.

Its not point about what they need but whats good decision, we dont know reason why maybe they want to produce more units than they can ship, maybe they curently have very good deal for some parts, or point that prevent possible future droughts because possible future Switch components shortages on market are logical ones.

Also, Switch sales can explode without shortages problems in 2018. so it's of course better to have some consoles in stock than again face shortages. Again, 5m is nothing for console that's so much popular and that have great sales, those 5m can be sell in one quarter, you clearly overreacting about those possible 5m.

loy310 said:
Pffft..... get real, 17 mil tops.

Switch will end up around 17m after first 13 months on market, so they can easily top 17m in second year on market.

There is no logical approach that make overproduding 5M for shipment plus the 3M or more in channel. That is to much incurred cost. It would be a really high discount to justiify the added cost of making and storing that much consoles?

Nope you are talking 2019, if it produces 30M in 2018 and keep 5M not sold just to sell on a 2019 explosion (how big do you think it will explode after selling 25M? 40M? Because 5M would be 3 months plus the 2 months on channels... it makes zero sense).

I'm overeacting about how silly is to plan to add costs for no benefits just to make some exagerated expectation on a forum go even higher.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Miyamotoo said:

There is no logical approach that make overproduding 5M for shipment plus the 3M or more in channel. That is to much incurred cost. It would be a really high discount to justiify the added cost of making and storing that much consoles?

Nope you are talking 2019, if it produces 30M in 2018 and keep 5M not sold just to sell on a 2019 explosion (how big do you think it will explode after selling 25M? 40M? Because 5M would be 3 months plus the 2 months on channels... it makes zero sense).

I'm overeacting about how silly is to plan to add costs for no benefits just to make some exagerated expectation on a forum go even higher.

Of Course there is logic if you had already stock issues, you can potentially again have stock issue (again because potential shortages of Switch parts), and if you actually still don't know how much actually Switch could sell without any stock issues.

No I talking about FY 2018. that starts on 1. April 2018. same year that this article is referred to. But maybe they can sell 25m or even hole 30m, we dont know that.

But you dont know if they will add costs or there is not benefits, again we dont know reason why maybe they want to produce more units than they can ship, maybe they curently have very good deal for some Switch parts, or point that prevent possible future droughts because possible future Switch components shortages on market, those are all logical resones.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

Of Course there is logic if you had already stock issues, you can potentially again have stock issue (again because potential shortages of Switch parts), and if you actually still don't know how much actually Switch could sell without any stock issues.

No I talking about FY 2018. that starts on 1. April 2018. same year that this article is referred to. But maybe they can sell 25m or even hole 30m, we dont know that.

But you dont know if they will add costs or there is not benefits, again we dont know reason why maybe they want to produce more units than they can ship, maybe they curently have very good deal for some Switch parts, or point that prevent possible future droughts because possible future Switch components shortages on market, those are all logical resones.

If there is logic explain it.

They had stock issues and the solution is to overstock? If they have good contracts for the parts they are not going to get into issues to provide their plan.

They will start to produce in 2018 and you expect then to produce at least 20% more than they will sell.

ANY stock that isn't moving is cost incurred, at least study a little the subject before discussing it.

You are trying to make reason of your assumptions, even if they aren't based on anything solid.

So you can't provide anything more than a wish for Nintendo to produce 30M. Show me any case of a company that planned to produce 50% more than sold on a year.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

If there is logic explain it.

They had stock issues and the solution is to overstock? If they have good contracts for the parts they are not going to get into issues to provide their plan.

They will start to produce in 2018 and you expect then to produce at least 20% more than they will sell.

ANY stock that isn't moving is cost incurred, at least study a little the subject before discussing it.

You are trying to make reason of your assumptions, even if they aren't based on anything solid.

So you can't provide anything more than a wish for Nintendo to produce 30M. Show me any case of a company that planned to produce 50% more than sold on a year.

But I did, start reading again.

If you had already stock issues, and you can potentially again have stock issue (its posible again because potential shortages of Switch parts), and if you actually still don't know how much actually Switch could sell without any stock issues.

Yes, its posible.

Cost of stocks that are not moving for few months is nothing if they actually have good price for some Switch parts, or if there is possibility there will again be shortages of some Switch parts, or posibileate that Switch sales will explode.

Lol, but everything we have is assumptions, even this article is not a fact, and those my assumptions actually are logical.

You are losing it, there is nothing with nobodys wishes, again this are only assumptions, also its fact until now most of time Switch had stock issues and we still dont know how much could sell in FY 2018.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 11 November 2017

Clearly this can only mean 1 thing.

Ice Climbers 2 confirmed.

JWeinCom said:
Clearly this can only mean 1 thing.

Ice Climbers 2 confirmed.

Your joking but you kno aside from being needed to put back into smash, i wish they made a platformer that required puzzle based movements requiring two characters. (Not like banjokazooie/whookalano)

They need some love.... Also KI:U2 pls... Most underrated game last gen it pisses me off.

If any mod or admin can check into this, all I'm getting when trying to pen the second page of this thread is: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /data/r5/nfs/ioi/gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php on line 87

TheBraveGallade said:

I'd say 15 mil without china and pokemon.
With both 25 mil is definetly possible.

Remember that ninty is EXTREAMLY conservative. Its just that the wii U flopped hard. Harder than anyonre thought.

Though we ARE talking peak DS/wii numbers.

Without the constant supply issues, this FY would already be going north of that number, though I agree on the 25M