By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft pushing EXTREMELY HARD with marketing the one X

Mr Puggsly said:
Errorist76 said: 

I hope that’s not going to happen for longer than maybe for the first year or so. I know all that “we’re done with generations” talk but...The next gen CPUs will be on a whole different level and X1X won’t be able to match that nor will the PS4 Pro. I really hope that doesn’t happen since it would slow down progress way too much. Sony has already committed for keeping generations. I really hope MS doesn’t slow down development of things like physics and A.I. that way.

I've considered that, but how many games would that really affect? I mean we're half way into this gen and its not like we've seen many ambitious projects pushing physics or AI in a way that blows away last gen.

You may have a few examples where the bar was raised like Just Cause 3, but there isn't a lot. Shadow of Mordor's AI on last gen being a mess was not a CPU issue. I think they blamed RAM, I blame it being a bad port.

And as I've mentioned before, if GPU will likely be the focus again so they can truly deliver on 4K in the 9th gen. Maybe even 8K will be a focus! So CPU may not be a massive upgrade in comparison to GPU. But we will see.

Anywho, maybe there will be some exceptions that really struggle to run on X1X. But the average 9th gen game would likely run fine on X1X at 1080p, 1440p, or whatever.

It appears to me what made 360 and PS3 difficult to support in the long run was lack of GPU power and RAM.

That's because of the cpu limitations. This gen is only really good for pushing more pixels. With a better cpu we could have had Crackdown 3 type destruction in games without needing a cloud, race days on Nurburgring or Nascar with 200 cars on track, full blown rts games with the From dust engine. Please let next gen not be hobbled again by a weak cpu and too little ram. This gen both MS and Sony bet on gpgpu taking over for the cpu, yet developers don't seem too enthusiastic about that. Yet maybe when the gpu is so powerful that 4K is the norm, the extra can finally be used for gameplay improvements.

XBox One X might seem future proof right now, yet next gen it's going to be holding things back again. Tech doesn't stand still.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I've considered that, but how many games would that really affect? I mean we're half way into this gen and its not like we've seen many ambitious projects pushing physics or AI in a way that blows away last gen.

You may have a few examples where the bar was raised like Just Cause 3, but there isn't a lot. Shadow of Mordor's AI on last gen being a mess was not a CPU issue. I think they blamed RAM, I blame it being a bad port.

And as I've mentioned before, if GPU will likely be the focus again so they can truly deliver on 4K in the 9th gen. Maybe even 8K will be a focus! So CPU may not be a massive upgrade in comparison to GPU. But we will see.

Anywho, maybe there will be some exceptions that really struggle to run on X1X. But the average 9th gen game would likely run fine on X1X at 1080p, 1440p, or whatever.

It appears to me what made 360 and PS3 difficult to support in the long run was lack of GPU power and RAM.

That's because of the cpu limitations. This gen is only really good for pushing more pixels. With a better cpu we could have had Crackdown 3 type destruction in games without needing a cloud, race days on Nurburgring or Nascar with 200 cars on track, full blown rts games with the From dust engine. Please let next gen not be hobbled again by a weak cpu and too little ram. This gen both MS and Sony bet on gpgpu taking over for the cpu, yet developers don't seem too enthusiastic about that. Yet maybe when the gpu is so powerful that 4K is the norm, the extra can finally be used for gameplay improvements.

XBox One X might seem future proof right now, yet next gen it's going to be holding things back again. Tech doesn't stand still.

The CPU requirements Crackdown 3 apparently needs is well beyond what we can expect in a console, which is generally the best specs at a modest price. I assume you haven't seen the benchmark video but its apparently using many CPUs to do those physics.

Again, what you're suggesting is more like the exception versus what developers are actually focusing on. Although, maybe we could have more ambitious CPU intensive projects with the cloud. But developers aren't even focusing on that. Although, bear in mind the PS3 did have MAG, 256 players!

The X1X struggles to maintain 4K even with games designed for vastly inferior GPUs. If next gen hardware makes the jump to 12TF, then 4K should become pretty standard. But graphics will also improve so who knows how standard it will be. Also consider the Pro and X1X are doing 1080p to hit 60 fps in some games.

I don't know how future proof the X1X truly is, but I do believe it will run the average 9th gen game unless CPU becomes a big issue. Which I don't really expect.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Considering they are not using their money to make 1st games, that money had to go somewhere dont you think??

Power means jackshit when the PS4/Pro is 100-300 cheaper

a console not selling out at launch is not a good sign, the pro is considered a bit of a flop and even that was hard to get hold of for a few months.

Worth waiting till its had its first weekend of sales though.

Around the Network
taus90 said:
As an xbox brand MS needs X to revitalize their sales, But TBH i kinda dont want xbox one x to succeed, I m happy that pro isnt performing as well as the base model.. and super glad that switch is doing so well, Sony and MS should look into hybrid console as well, all the tech needed for a graphical fidelity of PS4 on a handheld is cheaply available, not to mention these handhelds can be adapted to VR as well.

I don't think that technology exists at all yet, let alone cheaply. The Switch is $300, and even docked it's significantly weaker than a PS4 (which makes sense, it has to fit all its hardware into a portable case). In handheld mode the Switch's GPU is 9~ times slower than a PS4's.

Zekkyou said:
taus90 said:
As an xbox brand MS needs X to revitalize their sales, But TBH i kinda dont want xbox one x to succeed, I m happy that pro isnt performing as well as the base model.. and super glad that switch is doing so well, Sony and MS should look into hybrid console as well, all the tech needed for a graphical fidelity of PS4 on a handheld is cheaply available, not to mention these handhelds can be adapted to VR as well.

I don't think that technology exists at all yet, let alone cheaply. The Switch is $300, and even docked it's significantly weaker than a PS4 (which makes sense, it has to fit all its hardware into a portable case). In handheld mode the Switch's GPU is 9~ times slower than a PS4's.

why do u think that? there are many portable devices which are powerful than switch and that too at higher resolutions, e.g Apple's A11 bionic SoC. Not to mention the upcoming AMD Raven Ridge ryzen 5 and 7 APU's which are capable of producing better performance than tegra x1 at just15 watts. Switch maxes out at 18w in docked mode and 10w to 15w watt in handheld mode. So with 10nm Fab process and customizing the apu i m pretty sure sony can extract around 1.5tf of performance at just tdp of 15w.

So we have the technology, but i think its far more likely that Sony and MS have already placed their order of these chips and are customizing for PS5 and X2. 

Who needs a fake 4k 500 bucks console when you can buy a fake 4k console for 100 less, but with a lot of games

NO because the games on PS4 are exclusives to that systeme

you can't play it on PC or Xbox

I have to wonder if it's almost too much effort for what will still be a niche product, but I guess it's more about restrengthening the brand than selling a few more X's.