By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft pushing EXTREMELY HARD with marketing the one X

Marketing is a powerful tool. You can sell anything if its marketed good. X1X is already hard to find stock of where I am from and I am talking about major retailers.
There are people out there that just want the best and people out there that want something new. So it will play well with that crown.

Around the Network
taus90 said:
Zekkyou said:

I don't think that technology exists at all yet, let alone cheaply. The Switch is $300, and even docked it's significantly weaker than a PS4 (which makes sense, it has to fit all its hardware into a portable case). In handheld mode the Switch's GPU is 9~ times slower than a PS4's.

why do u think that? there are many portable devices which are powerful than switch and that too at higher resolutions, e.g Apple's A11 bionic SoC. Not to mention the upcoming AMD Raven Ridge ryzen 5 and 7 APU's which are capable of producing better performance than tegra x1 at just15 watts. Switch maxes out at 18w in docked mode and 10w to 15w watt in handheld mode. So with 10nm Fab process and customizing the apu i m pretty sure sony can extract around 1.5tf of performance at just tdp of 15w.

So we have the technology, but i think its far more likely that Sony and MS have already placed their order of these chips and are customizing for PS5 and X2. 

I didn't say there weren't devices more powerful than the Switch, in-fact there's another Tegra chip (the X2) that's almost twice as fast. I was saying the technology you were describing (cheap PS4 fidelity graphics in a handheld) doesn't exist yet. The Switch is $300 and is only slightly above a WiiU in handheld mode. It's going to be a few years before all the pieces needed for a PS4 equivalent are available and affordable.

Yep.

Selling so well, that a retailer i spoke to this morning while shopping said they had completely sold out their allotment, i asked how many, she replied 12,

Random_Matt said:
Yep.

Selling so well, that a retailer i spoke to this morning while shopping said they had completely sold out their allotment, i asked how many, she replied 12,

loool )))

Mr Puggsly said:
SvennoJ said:

That's because of the cpu limitations. This gen is only really good for pushing more pixels. With a better cpu we could have had Crackdown 3 type destruction in games without needing a cloud, race days on Nurburgring or Nascar with 200 cars on track, full blown rts games with the From dust engine. Please let next gen not be hobbled again by a weak cpu and too little ram. This gen both MS and Sony bet on gpgpu taking over for the cpu, yet developers don't seem too enthusiastic about that. Yet maybe when the gpu is so powerful that 4K is the norm, the extra can finally be used for gameplay improvements.

XBox One X might seem future proof right now, yet next gen it's going to be holding things back again. Tech doesn't stand still.

The CPU requirements Crackdown 3 apparently needs is well beyond what we can expect in a console, which is generally the best specs at a modest price. I assume you haven't seen the benchmark video but its apparently using many CPUs to do those physics.

Again, what you're suggesting is more like the exception versus what developers are actually focusing on. Although, maybe we could have more ambitious CPU intensive projects with the cloud. But developers aren't even focusing on that. Although, bear in mind the PS3 did have MAG, 256 players!

The X1X struggles to maintain 4K even with games designed for vastly inferior GPUs. If next gen hardware makes the jump to 12TF, then 4K should become pretty standard. But graphics will also improve so who knows how standard it will be. Also consider the Pro and X1X are doing 1080p to hit 60 fps in some games.

I don't know how future proof the X1X truly is, but I do believe it will run the average 9th gen game unless CPU becomes a big issue. Which I don't really expect.

The PS3s Cell CPU was even superior to current gen Jaguar CPUs in certain calculations. Next gen will most likely feature Ryzen based CPU cores, which is a huge upgrade and certainly needed for future VR/AR endeavours. X1X and Pro are already struggling with CPU based games like AC Origins or Shadow Of War with drops to 22fps at places. That’s the main reasons I doubt they will be that future proof.

Azzanation said: 
Marketing is a powerful tool. You can sell anything if its marketed good. X1X is already hard to find stock of where I am from and I am talking about major retailers. 
There are people out there that just want the best and people out there that want something new. So it will play well with that crown.

To put that into perspective the Pro pretty much sold out worldwide for almost half a year, if I remember right. Many stores only got 7 X1X examples or so, if reports on the net are to be believed.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 11 November 2017

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
taus90 said:

why do u think that? there are many portable devices which are powerful than switch and that too at higher resolutions, e.g Apple's A11 bionic SoC. Not to mention the upcoming AMD Raven Ridge ryzen 5 and 7 APU's which are capable of producing better performance than tegra x1 at just15 watts. Switch maxes out at 18w in docked mode and 10w to 15w watt in handheld mode. So with 10nm Fab process and customizing the apu i m pretty sure sony can extract around 1.5tf of performance at just tdp of 15w.

So we have the technology, but i think its far more likely that Sony and MS have already placed their order of these chips and are customizing for PS5 and X2. 

I didn't say there weren't devices more powerful than the Switch, in-fact there's another Tegra chip (the X2) that's almost twice as fast. I was saying the technology you were describing (cheap PS4 fidelity graphics in a handheld) doesn't exist yet. The Switch is $300 and is only slightly above a WiiU in handheld mode. It's going to be a few years before all the pieces needed for a PS4 equivalent are available and affordable

honestly I find a little odd that you think that todays tech specially upcoming mobile tech cant out perform a 5 year old laptop APU and that too a crappy one, when AMD just showed that their latest APU can deliver 200x more performance then their last gen high end APU with a TDP of switch, now increase those tdp even further too 35w those same ryzen apu's are out performing a 91watt 5th Gen i5 processor.. also look at that gamecompany's new game SKY it looks as good as journey on PS4. 

If you are still not convinced here is another scenario, even if we take the latest techs of PSvita hardware, Like a PowerVR GT7900 mobile gpu, this gpu alone produces 1tf of performance now combine that with a custom design and 4 cortex A75 processor cores and a custom API, we have well over 1.5 teraflops of performance far better than xbox one. 

I wish the xboxOne was a PC with windows 10 with upgradedable hard drive slots SATA3 and m.2 nvme. I think Microsoft should focus on getting windows 10 into the living room and start competing with Steam. That is where the future is at.

taus90 said:
Zekkyou said:

I didn't say there weren't devices more powerful than the Switch, in-fact there's another Tegra chip (the X2) that's almost twice as fast. I was saying the technology you were describing (cheap PS4 fidelity graphics in a handheld) doesn't exist yet. The Switch is $300 and is only slightly above a WiiU in handheld mode. It's going to be a few years before all the pieces needed for a PS4 equivalent are available and affordable

honestly I find a little odd that you think that todays tech specially upcoming mobile tech cant out perform a 5 year old laptop APU and that too a crappy one, when AMD just showed that their latest APU can deliver 200x more performance then their last gen high end APU with a TDP of switch, now increase those tdp even further too 35w those same ryzen apu's are out performing a 91watt 5th Gen i5 processor.. also look at that gamecompany's new game SKY it looks as good as journey on PS4. 

If you are still not convinced here is another scenario, even if we take the latest techs of PSvita hardware, Like a PowerVR GT7900 mobile gpu, this gpu alone produces 1tf of performance now combine that with a custom design and 4 cortex A75 processor cores and a custom API, we have well over 1.5 teraflops of performance far better than xbox one. 

When AMD's currently unreleased APU still falls a little short, and that's before the need to include more and much faster RAM than a Switch, a 1080p screen (since we're replicating the PS4's graphics), likley a bigger battery, far more internal memory, etc, yes, i remain sceptical this can all be put into a Switch sized case, kept cool, and have an acceptable battery life. I don't think that's odd.

Even a docked Switch is a considerably hardware step back from a PS4, yet it's $300. Either Nintendo are badly ripping everyone off, or a PS4 equivalent (which for the sake of argument we will say is 100% possible right now) would be an extremely expensive handheld. 

Errorist76 said: 
Mr Puggsly said:
Well its a reboot for the X1. Also, I'm predicting this is gonna be their cheap 9th gen solution.

I hope that’s not going to happen for longer than maybe for the first year or so. I know all that “we’re done with generations” talk but...The next gen CPUs will be on a whole different level and X1X won’t be able to match that nor will the PS4 Pro. I really hope that doesn’t happen since it would slow down progress way too much. Sony has already committed for keeping generations. I really hope MS doesn’t slow down development of things like physics and A.I. that way.

Well, we saw a jump of 8 times in TFs from PS3 to PS4.  So If we expect a similar jump from X1 to X2 then that means the X2 is gonna be barely twice as powerful as an X1X.

So the gap between the XoneX and the X2 should be A LOT smaller than the gap we have today between Xone and X1X.

Besides, when MS and Sony announced they were moving to the X86 arquitecture, I remember many developers applauding the move because that way they wouldn't have to start from scratch with every generation.

So yes, I totally believe that when 9th gen comes for MS, the X1X is gonna be their cheapest option to play the same games.  Just like Xone is their cheapest option now.

CGI-Quality said:
Jenea1992 said:
Who needs a fake 4k 500 bucks console when you can buy a fake 4k console for 100 less, but with a lot of games

Neither console's 4K is "fake". In fact, that doesn't exist. It's either Native 4K (which both consoles have produced) or not 4K at all .

Or it can be dynamic resolution for example. By ''fake 4k'' i mean than none of the consoles supports native 4k in majority of games.