By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA is not committed to Switch, they don't understand the Switch market yet.

This reads like "They don't love Fifa so we don't have a freaking clue of what those aliens may like"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
pokoko said:
A business attempting to gauge a market before jumping in?

That's just awful. How dare they.

I dared say that before and got stomped on the forums.

I think EA has already guaged the market and they realized there's not much reason for the  to get involved in Switch.  They're just trying to play it coy and not outright say, "Nintendo gamers don't like us" - just look at this thread. :)

Personally, I'd be one more vote for, "I can live without EA".  Maybe a decent Sims port or one NHL game could weasel their way into my collection.

DonFerrari said:
Bristow9091 said:
Even if they released everything they have on Switch, I'd still opt for PS4 anyway... there really isn't much that Switch users would be missing out on, unless they really liek yearly sports games, lol

This gen they all like everything portable, because Switch is now hybrid.

Your point? 

Can we at least get one EA apologist in here to tell us what we're missing and why this should matter to us? Just one? It would be ineteresting to see EA try to cater to the Nintendo audience for once instead of the other way around. It's not like it would be difficult to buy a startup indie company that could make a great 2D throw back game or an amazing 3D collectathon game like Ratchet or Jak and Daxter. I know that's "not how it works" but with as much money as they have it wouldn't be difficult to greenlight a few safe (financially) and crazy (theme, design, idea) projects that could get them to understand the Switch market a little better.

What's EA?

Seriously EA are the stupidest idiots ever if they don't think at least Star Wars games would sell well, since that was never a problem on Nintendo at all.

Around the Network

EA's recent leadership has legendarily stupid instincts.

They decide to give the Wii U phenomenal support and the Switch underwhelming support. But things have been really bad very recently.

Notice how their stock just plummeted after this announcement. Unfortunately, Nintendo got dinged up a little as well, but the brunt of the damage is on EA's market value.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Looks like the Switch audience's interest in FIFA wasn't sufficient. But actually, why mobilize an entire dev team for 1% of sales? EA is just taking the rational conclusions for its business.

superchunk said:
I read this as EA is still holding an emotional driven response to Nintendo not agreeing to EAs Origin being on WiiU and a stronger focus on digital only software (which is why MS jumped out gate with that idea and Sony also had original plans to do so until fallout from MS announcement).

With that EA is thinking Switch will lose some interest its gained from big Nintendo software and just being the new kid on the block. So long as Switch has a big holiday and other 3rd parties 1) show that their current support did well 2) show that they will be supporting it more strongly in 2018, then EA will announce their own yearly titles as support. Though they may not invest in the bigger AAA titles like Battlefield and instead just cop out with "not powerful enough" etc.

Granted, Nintendo may shoot itself in the foot if it doesn't make the online play work well. If they continue to trend in a direction that this is just going to be a complicated mess, it won't matter as most of these games have heavy multi-player elements. People will give up on the benefit of playing anywhere if that multiplayer experience is too complicated. Nintendo better make sure what we see in 2018 is clean and simple with some sort of obvious benefit.

You were starting to get on to what I'm thinking is EA's thinking. I have a feeling we'd have a firmer idea of what EA truly wants to do with the Switch if Nintendo had fully unveiled its online plans and functionality this year like originally planned. We know that multiplayer games and microtransactions are a major part of EA's business strategy, so we have to see how well it can adapt that to Nintendo's online support.

pokoko said:
A business attempting to gauge a market before jumping in?

That's just awful. How dare they.
ryuzaki57 said:
Looks like the Switch audience's interest in FIFA wasn't sufficient. But actually, why mobilize an entire dev team for 1% of sales? EA is just taking the rational conclusions for its business.

Yeah, because gauging with a gimped game will always do well and show off exactly what the players want (a non-gimped version of the game, but that certainly never the conclusion they'll draw)

Besides, it's not like swapping a couple of players around in the game and slapping a 19 on the package would be very expensive now that they have an engine for the Switch version.

DonFerrari said:
Don't like EA games, won't buy EA games -> complain about lack of EA games on Switch.

Your statement implies that only Switch users have standards, or at least enough standards to not buy games from greedy AAA publishers, which certainly ain't true

On the other hand, I wish this would happen on the other consoles too, pryving EA from their main source of income and ultimately going bankrupt - but I doubt there will be enough who would follow such a line on any support.

couchmonkey said:
DonFerrari said:

I dared say that before and got stomped on the forums.

I think EA has already guaged the market and they realized there's not much reason for the  to get involved in Switch.  They're just trying to play it coy and not outright say, "Nintendo gamers don't like us" - just look at this thread. :)

Personally, I'd be one more vote for, "I can live without EA".  Maybe a decent Sims port or one NHL game could weasel their way into my collection.

I don't miss EA as well... and that is how I also read it "since what we do have no interest on Switch userbase we will look elsewhere".

Goodnightmoon said:
DonFerrari said:

This gen they all like everything portable, because Switch is now hybrid.

Your point? 

That know it's good because Nintendo made it.

ryuzaki57 said:

You can't be rational around here son.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."