By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Catalonia declares independence. Puigdemont free to roam Belgium.

Who do you support?

Spain 139 59.40%

Catalonia 95 40.60%

Total:234
sc94597 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Of course they left, cause this is not a legitim thing to vote and it was made with secret votation which makes it just even more ridiculous. Madrid has to reform the constitution to make a legal referendum, that is complicated, I'm don't like how the government of Spain deals with this, but the government of Catalonia has been completely antidemocratic and out of the law since the beggining of this process, apart from a big liar, yet stranger people have swallowed the fake narrative of Catalonia with fries, one of the most independent, free and richest (thanks to Spain) regions of Europe that claims to be opressed. Utterly ridiculous.

The overwhelming majority of independence movements in history were "illegal" according to the standards of the states they were separating from. That does not make them anti-democratic. That the central authority doesn't give permission in the first place, is inherently anti-democratic itself. All people have the rights to self-determination and freedom of association. 

If Spain worked with Catalonians to make their referendum legal in the first place, I suspect the vote for independence might not have won.. Not because how it was done deprived people of a vote, but because the tactics used by Spain convinced people on the fence to vote for independence. It wasn't like Madrid didn't know this was happening for many months

In a real democracy the people don't need to beg their rulers to vote, they just do it. 

Is compeltely antidemocratic when a group of politic parties that represent less than half of the catalan population decides to declare independence going not only above the spanish laws, but also above their own catalan laws (again, Catalonia is one of the most self-governed regions of Europe, yet they went against their own laws)

This is completely antidemocratic no matter what perspective you choose, you want to think catalonia is the good guy here because that sounds cute, the little guy gaining independence from the oppressive kingdom, in reality this is a minority making something similar to a coup d´etat for hugely egotistical reasons.

Last edited by Goodnightmoon - on 27 October 2017

Around the Network

Well, I can't say I'm surprised. Both sides did things wrong, for sure, but I still think that the claim is legit. But it should have been done differently. Ideally, with a normal votation (the referendum was totally done under a lot of pressure from the central government and a lot of people haven't votes because of fear). And the secret voting... was coward. But, I hope things go well... but it won't happen. Believe me when I say the repression is going to be unparalelled in the EU modern history.

Ka-pi96 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Self determination by a majority, there is no proof independentists are a majority on Catalonia, right now catalonia is a country where probably most people want to stay with Spain and where independentists had been promised to become way richer now when that's a huge lie since they have to leave the EU and most of its exportations go to Spain, a thousand companies have been abandoning Catalonia this weeks. There hasn't been any democratic process to claim self determination, there hasn't been campaign for the YES and for the NO, only for the YES, pure manipulation.

Oh, and there is also Monarchy in many more countries like UK, Netherlands or Denmark, some of the most developed countries in the world, so what's your point?

Other countries having a shitty, outdated, corrupt and elitist system doesn't make it ok. The French know what to do with monarchies though...

Yes, I don't like Monarchy either, but he is exposing that as a proof that something is wrong with Spain when 3 of the very best countries of the world have it too, it doesn't really affect the system a lot, is outdated and unfair, but is use mostly as decoration, the King has very little power.

Goodnightmoon said:
Tryklon said:

The right to self determination is one of the pillars of the Universal Declarion for the Human Rights...

As a Portuguese, I fully support Catalonia, in fact, we fought for the same and on the 1st of December of 1640 we achieved it!!!
Was it legal? You can bet the hell it wasnt :D

Spain is not a country, is an amalgamation of unified kingdoms, most of them against the peoples will...

Not to mention monarchy, I mean, really? In 2017 a little girl with 6 or 7 years old is already decided to be the chief of state when she grows up? Thats ridiculous and an insult to the people! This is not the middle ages...

Down with inherited rights! Long live the conquered rights! Long live the Republic and the Democracy!

Self determination by a majority, there is no proof independentists are a majority on Catalonia, right now catalonia is a country where probably most people want to stay with Spain and where independentists had been promised to become way richer now when that's a huge lie since they have to leave the EU and most of its exportations go to Spain, a thousand companies have been abandoning Catalonia this weeks. There hasn't been any democratic process to claim self determination, there hasn't been campaign for the YES and for the NO, only for the YES, pure manipulation.

Oh, and there is also Monarchy in many more countries like UK, Netherlands or Denmark, some of the most developed countries in the world, so what's your point?

That paternalistic cr*p is getting old. People are on the streets.

And if that shamefully corrupt government of "Spain" is so certain the majority wants to be spanish, why did they not allow a fully authorized referendum?

Oh, let me guess... because they knew the yes would win! Thats it!

Don't try to insult other peoples intelligence. If it comes to elections on the 21st of December ( I doubt they will even listen to what Spain says) we will see which parties are going to win the election!

And about the monarchy! yes yes, it is a shameful and ridiculous system and it goes against everything the Universal Declaration of Human Rights says.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.

PERIOD!!!!

PS4: Tryklon  Steam: Tryklon

Switch: 0307-6588-7010 | New 2DS XL: 2037-2612-6964

MacBook Air (Mid 2017) | iPhone SE | Apple Watch Series 3

They're going to get squashed pretty fast. Rajoy will have won his petty war and nothing will have changed.

Around the Network

Yeah, nobody is gonna win her, everyone's gonna lose.

Tryklon said:
Goodnightmoon said:

if that shamefully corrupt government of "Spain" is so certain the majority wants to be spanish, why did they not allow a fully authorized referendum?

Oh, let me guess... because they knew the yes would win! Thats it!

Because to allow a legal referendum you have to change the constitution and because the politic party governing Spain right now is highly conservative. Every single poll made in Catalonia before all this messy process said most people there didn't want to be independent, in fact when PSOE was in the govern years ago, before the economic crisis,  the vast majority of Catalonia (like +70% or so) didn't wanted an independent republic, just more autonomy. Now that Spain has less money and they don't like the actual government the govern of Catalonia want a conservative party to reform the constitution just for them and obviously that didn't happened, but PP is not Spain, politic parties come and go, independence is forever.

This is going to get very awkward very fast.

Love and tolerate.

Yeah reality is they should separate, Spain is holding them back

LadyJasmine said:
Yeah reality is they should separate, Spain is holding them back

I'm sure you are an expert on this

The reason why Catalonia its so developed is Spain, they have been industrializing and overprotecting Catalonia for centuries and now Catalonia wants to go with all that, but right now around 1300 companies have abandoned Catalonia to come to Spain and this is only the begining, they would abandon the EU which would result in a huge economic recession for many years. So yeah, "holding them back" yes, but holding them back from an economic disaster lol