By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Catalonia declares independence. Puigdemont free to roam Belgium.

Who do you support?

Spain 139 59.40%

Catalonia 95 40.60%

Total:234

No matter from what angle I look at it it seems to be along the same stupid populist lines as Brexit. "We want independence. What do we gain from it? We don't care because we're bored and need something to rally for!".

But yeah, good for them to "stick it to the man".

Meanwhile Palestine sits there and thinks to itself: "WTF?!"

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
dyremose said:
As everything this comes down to money and not liberty or cultural independence or whatever they might try and say. Catalonia is one of the richest regions in an otherwise rather poor country of Spain. In Italy the two richest regions are also trying to gain more autonomy or break off with their own country.. Gladly leaving an entire countries economy in the shitter while laughing all the way to the bank.. I hope the Spanish government hits down hard on these destabilisers..

At first glance it seems to be about money, but it isn't. Money doesn't want an independent Catalonia outside of the Eurozone. Since the 1-O over 1500 businesses have left Catalonia. Before the referendum Catalonia had two banks, now it has none. It had seven of the 35 companies of the IBEX 35, now it has one. Many businessmen have stated how bad it would be.

Except for the crazy folks of the CUP, this is about dodging jail and creating a country they have full control of, so they can turn their corruption up to eleven without consecuences. The biggest nationalist-now-independentist catalonian party (Convergencia) and his founder (Jordi Pujol) have been stealing catalonians (3% corruption scandal, Wikipedia link in spanish for those interested) for decades. Apparently it was vox populi among politicians, but they let it slide until now because Convergencia was a valuable ally for both PP and PSOE in the Spanish Parliament. On top of it Pujol has powerful connections and critical information regarding the corruption of many top dogs (video for those who know spanish or catalonian).

Despite this, some members of Convergencia have ended in jail, and It seems that things can get ugly really fast because Andorra's banking secrecy ends in 2018 and some say that many of the 3% money has been there in the past.

It's pointless to argue about this from a legal standpoint since most independence movements are illegal from the perspective of the original jurisdiction ...

Law is only rooted in power so if the people of Catalonia does not recognize the Spanish constitution then it's just empty papers to them. What Spain did by constantly blocking the referendums and threatening to implicate military force is anti-democratic and is just plain bullying ...

vivster said:

No matter from what angle I look at it it seems to be along the same stupid populist lines as Brexit. "We want independence. What do we gain from it? We don't care because we're bored and need something to rally for!".

But yeah, good for them to "stick it to the man".

Meanwhile Palestine sits there and thinks to itself: "WTF?!"

Catalonian independence is a much older thing than the current wave of populism. The pro-independence Catalonians would probably like to be part of the EU as an independent state if it were possible. 

Not going to happen, but the Spanish government has handled the situation very poorly from what I've heard.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

Those ignorant separatists have been looking for (legal) trouble and they're going to get it. It's about time the Catalonian government is dissolved, they were given an unfair autonomy to begin with. Every part of any country should be held in the same regard and no part should have more power than the others, not only is it unfair to the other regions but sooner or later they must abuse their power by trying to break up the country.
The highest members of that regional government should be judged for treason at the very least.

Well things are definitely tearing apart at the seams.

I'd like to see California do something like this since some people are already pushing for this.

Just let them go. Jesus. Disappointed to see so many Nations standing with Spain's tyrannical government.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

fatslob-:O said:
It's pointless to argue about this from a legal standpoint since most independence movements are illegal from the perspective of the original jurisdiction ...

Law is only rooted in power so if the people of Catalonia does not recognize the Spanish constitution then it's just empty papers to them. What Spain did by constantly blocking the referendums and threatening to implicate military force is anti-democratic and is just plain bullying ...

That has never happened

Goodnightmoon said:

That has never happened

Then what is Article 155 ?