By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DigitalFoundry: Super Mario Odyssey on Switch: The Complete Tech Analysis

ok back OT, I started playing today and although it looks amazing overall, I really wish the had applied at least minimal anti-aliasing. I notice the jagged edges and lines flimmering constantly and it's tainting my experience. On the handheld I find it even stronger. I am a sucker for smooth image quality tho, I always take that over a higher frame rate (so I'd preferred AA with 30fps).

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

*has a Xenoblade X avatar*

*gets pounced on by Nintendo fanboy*

First of all, you shouldn't be calling anyone fanboy, is against the rules.

Second, I can see his avatar, this has nothing to do with our company of preference is just ridiculous to be saying "WOW this is below Nintendo standarts" Because the game has some rare and completely minor dips, is just negativity for the sake of negativity, the game has better performance than the vast majority of games released nowadays, it falls like 3 frames in rare ocasions for fuck sake, who can be seriously complaining about that?

And there you go. You just proved my own point! You get mad so easily at things so trivial. You're a cool user, i'm sure you know that I think that by now ... until you do shit like this : 

Goodnightmoon said:
Barkley said:
Well that's the price you pay for a hybrid.

Glad they chose to push for 60fps.

A gorgeous masterpiece? great price to pay then

This dude is complementing the game and you have to butt in and contest him for no reason

Goodnightmoon said:
bigtakilla said:
In the grand scheme of things it matters little I suspect to the masses, but wow. For the developers known for their solid performance of their flagship titles, this is a bit below standards.

The game is running at 60fps 99.9% of the time and looks great both in docked and undocked, what are you even talking about? 

Goodnightmoon said:
bigtakilla said:

99.9%, is that a number actually given, or your speculation?

Are you for real? It wasn't obvious enough seeing that analisys that game stays stable almost all the fucking time? No is not an exact number, but is probably very close to reality.

bigtakilla said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Are you for real? It wasn't obvious enough seeing that analisys that game stays stable almost all the fucking time? No is not an exact number, but is probably very close to reality.

Hey, just asking. Point is it does have dips, and for a Nintendo game doesn't really live up to their golden standard set by.... Well them, themselves. I even said most won't care, I don't expect you to.

(Edit) Digital Foundry on 3D World: "More so than most games aiming for this goal, EAD has managed to deliver a 100 per cent consistent update. Every moment of the game, every menu transition, and every element of the user interface all operate at 60fps without a single hitch. Shooting for 60fps is no small task and requires cooperation from the entire team throughout the development cycle, but Nintendo takes it further by taking a zero-tolerance approach to frame-rate dips."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-super-mario-3d-world

Just saying typical Nintendo.

Goodnightmoon said:
bigtakilla said:

Hey, just asking. Point is it does have dips, and for a Nintendo game doesn't really live up to their golden standard set by.... Well them, themselves. I even said most won't care, I don't expect you to.

I really don't know if you are serious or just trolling, they just released on of their most ambitious games ever at a practically flawless level of performance and great graphics, and this is what you get out of this? Fucking unbelieveble. 

bigtakilla said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I really don't know if you are serious or just trolling, they just released on of their most ambitious games ever at a practically flawless level of performance and great graphics, and this is what you get out of this? unbelieveble. 

Most ambitious game ever? I'm now wondering if you are trolling....

Goodnightmoon said:
bigtakilla said:

Most ambitious game ever? I'm now wondering if you are trolling....

I said "One of their most"

And the only reason i didn't said the most is because BoTW exists.

And yet here you are nitpicking shit cause the game has some rare dips where it falls like 3 frames, mindblowing.

This dude is stating his opinion in a calm, rational way. He's saying that Nintendo has an excellent track record of delivering, and that it's a bit disappointing that they can't deliver consistency here, even if it's a few frames in a few areas. 

And what's your response to this? Vitriol and negativity. Saying that "It only happens .001% of the time!" doesn't change anything he said. I don't think it's a big issue myself but I do agree with him that it could use more polish if that's the case. If he's personally disappointed in it that's fine. And me personally, I would rather have someone always putting up a monocle of a criticism, rather than some of what you have in this thread now where people are either saying it's ridiculous to level any criticisms at the game's performance, or that they just say so because DF said it!(just because you don't notice something until DF says it doesn't make it less compelling, especially when you consider the game isn't even out? So how else could they notice it yet ...),  or people just trolling any concerns over the game's performance.

It's just dumb in my opinion that we have to lambast someone for such criticisms, and you know this is just because we're on a Nintendo thread. come on guys, we can all get along!

bigtakilla said:
Zekkyou said:

To be fair (hurr), SMO does appear to be far more technically ambitious than the average 60fps Nintendo title. So while the overall performance profile is sub-standard for them, i don't think it's from a lack of effort. If they'd been more technically conservative like in Splatoon 2, MK8D, ARMS, etc, i expect we'd be seeing their more standard results. It's nice to see them experiment with their tech a bit more.

Essentially not a lack of ambition, but neither is it the lack of ambition of any other dev that fails to make the golden standard Nintendo has set. They just both merely fail at doing so.

I believe that the hardware while great, is small compared to what they needed to achieve the perfect performance.

Reminds me kind of the 64 era. A lot of frame drops or small tricks (like the fog), but the ambitious experience is there for us to enjoy and overcome those flaws.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Shows how art direction can easily trump ultra graphics

The common resolution is 810p and it's using temporal reconstruction in portable mode just like Killzone Shadow Fall or Quantum Break so it's not even shaded at the screen's native resolution ?

Last edited by fatslob-:O - on 27 October 2017

Around the Network

This is actually just what I wanted from Switch devs; to stop chasing 1080p and put the power into better shaders/effects/assets instead.

Best looking game on the system so far in my opinion; the lighting is just gorgeous, and at 60fps to boot.

It's funny. This is a better looking game than Sonic Forces, but it manages double the frame rate and resolution. Look at how actual effort affects the outcome.

You know that thing when you uhhh...and then you...hmmm. But then you have to...umm, Yuh.

bigtakilla said:
Goodnightmoon said:

The game is running at 60fps 99.9% of the time and looks great both in docked and undocked, what are you even talking about? 

99.9%, is that a number actually given, or your speculation?

Just for claryfication, I think John from DF himself mentiones that 'it runs like butter 99% of the time'. Most of the dips where as little as 1-2 frames and there's only one bigger dip of ~12 frames in one specific area of New Donk City.

All in all when paired with the visual fidelity that the game displays, it's an impressive and ambitious result. Also note that Odyssey is the first 3D exploration Mario game ever to hit 60fps.

Goodnightmoon said:
Barkley said:
Well that's the price you pay for a hybrid.

Glad they chose to push for 60fps.

A gorgeous masterpiece? great price to pay then

It's a tech analysis thread so the "price" I was referring to should be pretty evident, though it seems you were seeing red.

Zekkyou said:
bigtakilla said:

Essentially not a lack of ambition, but neither is it the lack of ambition of any other dev that fails to make the golden standard Nintendo has set. They just both merely fail at doing so.

I think we might be talking about slightly different things. I'm talking about in-game tech relative to overall performance profile (image quality + frame-rate), which is where Nintendo tend to be fairly conservative. Hitting perfect locks is almost impossible without a degree of technical conservatism after all (you have to 'waste' a lot of resources to guarantee it never falls below your target no matter the scene complexity). Looking at your other comments i think you were referring purely to 60fps?

But technical conservatism is relative to the hardware at play. Nintendo used to know well what the limits to the hardware is relative to the game developed and obtain 60fps. I'm saying now their development paradigm seems to be more in line with other AAA devs. For whatever reason Nintendo is now saying "close enough" instead of refining to perfection.