By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DigitalFoundry: Super Mario Odyssey on Switch: The Complete Tech Analysis

If someone had asked me what I'd want from a Mario game, it would be an emphasis on frame rates with the best visuals possible as a second priority. It looks like that's pretty much what we got.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
If someone had asked me what I'd want from a Mario game, it would be an emphasis on frame rates with the best visuals possible as a second priority. It looks like that's pretty much what we got.

watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Faj5O2xfw

first 20 minutes of gameplay from it.... its impressive.

Well that's the price you pay for a hybrid.

Glad they chose to push for 60fps.

Barkley said:

I actually quite like that they really treated it like a hybrid, as in the docked version is distinctly more impressive visually and such. Many (if not most) games have largely been accomodating the portable mode and not making much effort to improve it when docked. It's understandable, but it's nice to see some effort being made to provide optimal experiences in both modes.

So that 1080p rumor was false :p

But is what I expected so it's fine

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Barkley said:

A gorgeous masterpiece? great price to pay then

In the grand scheme of things it matters little I suspect to the masses, but wow. For the developers known for their solid performance of their flagship titles, this is a bit below standards.

I'd hoped the rumours would be true and 900p would turn out to be the minimum of a dynamic resolution rather than the max, but it's ultimately not that surprising for the Switch (at least when dealing with a pretty 60fps title).

Still, it's nice to see that they've put effort into making the docked version stand out. While i'd personally have preferred those resources be put towards image quality, i appreciate the effort Nintendo have put in.

bigtakilla said:
In the grand scheme of things it matters little I suspect to the masses, but wow. For the developers known for their solid performance of their flagship titles, this is a bit below standards.

To be fair (hurr), SMO does appear to be far more technically ambitious than the average 60fps Nintendo title. So while the overall performance profile is sub-standard for them, i don't think it's from a lack of effort. If they'd been more technically conservative like in Splatoon 2, MK8D, ARMS, etc, i expect we'd be seeing their more standard results. It's nice to see them experiment with their tech a bit more.

Zekkyou said:
bigtakilla said:

To be fair (hurr), SMO does appear to be far more technically ambitious than the average 60fps Nintendo title. So while the overall performance profile is sub-standard for them, i don't think it's from a lack of effort. If they'd been more technically conservative like in Splatoon 2, MK8D, ARMS, etc, i expect we'd be seeing their more standard results. It's nice to see them experiment with their tech a bit more.

Essentially not a lack of ambition, but neither is it the lack of ambition of any other dev that fails to make the golden standard Nintendo has set. They just both merely fail at doing so.