By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OG XBox games look amazing on XBox one S/X

Ruler said:
gcwy said:
They look pristine, very impressive! I love how MS is handling the BC stuff, shame on Nintendo and Sony.

I'm still hoping for Xbox Live compatibility, though it will probably never happen. Can't wait to play the GTAs!

You sure about that? You know the Xbox One and OG XBox are nothing more than PC hardware, if MS really wanted they could allow you to play every game.

You do realise that these games aren't ports right? They look and are running significantly better than the original system. I don't see how anyone could not find that impressive.

'if MS really wanted they could allow you to play every game.'

Can you elaborate on this? There's nothing stopping Nintendo from 'allowing' you to play every one of their games on every one of their consoles, either. There's also nothing stopping the PS4 from running PS1 and PS2 games, except for Sony I guess, right?

SecondWar said:
gcwy said:
They look pristine, very impressive! I love how MS is handling the BC stuff, shame on Nintendo and Sony.

I'm still hoping for Xbox Live compatibility, though it will probably never happen. Can't wait to play the GTAs!

Sony, I can understand your feelings but with Nintendo I think you're being unfair. While all Sony and Microsoft games are disc based, Many of Nintendos are catridge based. How do you fit a reader for the discs in the portable Switch? And each console had a different disc format (Sony also has this problem). And how on earth would you fit the older catridges in the Switch, given their about the same size as the console itself?

But also looking forward to seeing what else gets added to the OG Xbox library. Hoping for some of the earlier Splinter Cells.

Your post does not even consider that physical isn't the only way to implement BC, there are XBL Arcade games that are BC and you can buy and play most of the Xbox/360 titles digitally too. And let's not forget the bastardised version of BC by Nintendo. I feel for anyone who spent actual money on VC titles on the Wii U, but I guess this is one of those flaws that are caused by the inherently abysmal online by Nintendo. In fact, I'll go even as far to say that Nintendo should be criticised much more harshly than Sony regarding back-compat, because with PSN, your games are tied to your account, and not the system. I'm definitely not looking forward to VC on the Switch.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
gcwy said:

You sure about that? You know the Xbox One and OG XBox are nothing more than PC hardware, if MS really wanted they could allow you to play every game.

Wrong. Xbox, 360 and Xbox One games have completely different file structures.
The executable files for 360 games need to be rewritten in order for them to run on X1. Since the code for these files aren't property of MS, they absolutely have to ask third parties for permission first.
Even if it wasn't for these legal issues, there would still be compatibility problems. That's why BC games are being actively patched to improve stability after release on X1.

Barozi said:
Ruler said:

The executable files for 360 games need to be rewritten in order for them to run on X1. Since the code for these files aren't property of MS, they absolutely have to ask third parties for permission first.
Even if it wasn't for these legal issues, there would still be compatibility problems. That's why BC games are being actively patched to improve stability after release on X1.

The Original Xbox and Xbox 360 games are being partly emulated in a virtualised environment... And also repackaged which you mentioned.
The Xbox One (Or Xbox One X) isn't fast enough to brute force the emulation of these games, that's a fact.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Barozi said:

The Original Xbox and Xbox 360 games are being partly emulated in a virtualised environment... And also repackaged which you mentioned.
The Xbox One (Or Xbox One X) isn't fast enough to brute force the emulation of these games, that's a fact.

Given that OG Xbox was really just a PC, running on x86 and DirectX, I'd assume it would be relatively easy to write some sort of wrapper for them....but I haven't coded in something like 25 years, so I really can't say.

They relly look great, are all OG Xbox games have 16:9 suport and does evre game looks/work better?

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

They relly look great, are all OG Xbox games have 16:9 suport and does evre game looks/work better?

Every confirmed game on the list has improved resolution native (1080P on XBox one and S, 4k on the one X) better textures, framerate, 16:9 widescreen.

But obv its only 13 games for now, they did say more are coming but also that the program will be smaller then the xbox360 program, which has over 500? titles already

Twitter @CyberMalistix

malistix1985 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Every confirmed game on the list has improved resolution native (1080P on XBox one and S, 4k on the one X) better textures, framerate, 16:9 widescreen.

But obv its only 13 games for now, they did say more are coming but also that the program will be smaller then the xbox360 program, which has over 500? titles already

You sure they have better textures?
I doubt they are actually overhauling the assets in these games.

Rather I do know they are applying significantly better texturing filtering (16x Anisotropic Filtering to be exact) which, when combined with the higher output resolution should make textures look significantly better.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I love the look of PS2/Xbox games, it was time when 3D games started looking great while still looking like games not movies.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

So I went browsing around my local re-sale shop today, not looking for anything in particular and what do I stumble upon? A copy of Crimson Skies with case, manual and not a scratch on the disc for $3.00. Talk about a fuckin' sign lol

AlfredoTurkey said:
So I went browsing around my local re-sale shop today, not looking for anything in particular and what do I stumble upon? A copy of Crimson Skies with case, manual and not a scratch on the disc for $3.00. Talk about a fuckin' sign lol

I went to my local eb games asking for knights of the old Republic. Not only did they tell me that they don't have it, they said that they no longer stock original xbox games. So, I suppose, what I'm trying to say is... I hate you.